Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM
jw's Avatar
jw jw is offline
Raoul Duke
Location: Fat City
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,574
Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
But if it turns out to be a crappy job, wouldn't they ding you for the depreciation?
Sure, if it didn't look right then any lease return (BMW or otherwise) could charge you if they wanted. But the fact is any half-way decent shop can repair a scuffed/scraped bumper with their eyes closed and it will look like brand new. This isn't rocket science, it's a minor bumper job.
__________________
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
jw's Avatar
jw jw is offline
Raoul Duke
Location: Fat City
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,574
Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I got nailed last night at a party I feel your pain. IF anyone knows a good QUICK (my only ride body shop in the DC metro area let me know )

Dude or chick bailed
I know a place in Chantilly. PM me and I'll pass along the contact info.
__________________
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 AM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
But if it turns out to be a crappy job, wouldn't they ding you for the depreciation?

Even though it's a lease, wouldn't you want it looking good? It's still a $55k+ car. You'll be driving the car for the next couple of years and have to look at it everyday. That said. When I scrapped the bumper on my 2 month old Lexus a few years ago, it cost me $300 to respray that section. So it will probably be around $300-500 to repair your bumper. Not too bad considering the price of the car.

The place that buffed out your bumper, didn't you get a quote from them?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Yeah trust me, I definitely have my worries about Craigslist. I was quoted $280 by a guy that works on European cars and my friend at the body shop told me about $200 to repaint it, so it looks like I'm gonna end up taking it there.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 AM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I got nailed last night at a party I feel your pain. IF anyone knows a good QUICK (my only ride body shop in the DC metro area let me know )



Dude or chick bailed
There are some people on Craigslist who actually do quality work. Look at pictures of their work that they have on their listing, if you see mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc, then you should be able to trust them.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
There are some people on Craigslist who actually do quality work. Look at pictures of their work that they have on their listing, if you see mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc, then you should be able to trust them.
I wouldn't be a good judge of picking a good guy on cL... My luck I'd get the one dud.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
My repair bill came in at around 800 and I won't get my car back mid to next week meanwhile it sits with fresh dinan suspension and FMIC while I drive around in a non turbo i6

saddest day of my life getting told I can't have it back before the weekend

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
My repair bill came in at around 800 and I won't get my car back mid to next week meanwhile it sits with fresh dinan suspension and FMIC while I drive around in a non turbo i6

saddest day of my life getting told I can't have it back before the weekend
Yikes $800?! I ended up getting mine fixed for free by a friend who owns a body shop and it looks good enough, not 100% though on certain angles. At least you got a 5er for a loaner though, I always get a 3er. First world problems haha
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
Yikes $800?! I ended up getting mine fixed for free by a friend who owns a body shop and it looks good enough, not 100% though on certain angles. At least you got a 5er for a loaner though, I always get a 3er. First world problems haha
I got a 1er its been fun but I want my power back I was so excited to get it back today

Yeah I've been looking around and while I thought it was a good deal at the time it's probably not although they said the bottom grill needs to be totally replaced and that bottom portion requires the entire bumper to come off. They also are doing some work on the bottom portion I can't see (scrapes and such). So that plus keeping the loaner till Wednesday/Thrus, I'm probably breaking even on their price as opposed to going elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I got a 1er its been fun but I want my power back I was so excited to get it back today

Yeah I've been looking around and while I thought it was a good deal at the time it's probably not although they said the bottom grill needs to be totally replaced and that bottom portion requires the entire bumper to come off. They also are doing some work on the bottom portion I can't see (scrapes and such). So that plus keeping the loaner till Wednesday/Thrus, I'm probably breaking even on their price as opposed to going elsewhere.
I was quoted 360-600 by non BMW certified repair shops and that's obviously without a loaner but at least you know it's getting done right, anyways good luck and I hope the repairs turn out alright. Let us know how everything went when you get it back.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
I was quoted 360-600 by non BMW certified repair shops and that's obviously without a loaner but at least you know it's getting done right, anyways good luck and I hope the repairs turn out alright. Let us know how everything went when you get it back.
That does make me feel better looking at those prices There is actually only 1 officially recognized bmw collision center in our area. This is not one, but yes even if I got your low offer of 360 and had a $50 loaner for a week I'll have maybe saved 50-100 bucks and at least at a BMW dealer I can complain or have some kind of way to complain if need be (and get a decent loaner)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
That does make me feel better looking at those prices There is actually only 1 officially recognized bmw collision center in our area. This is not one, but yes even if I got your low offer of 360 and had a $50 loaner for a week I'll have maybe saved 50-100 bucks and at least at a BMW dealer I can complain or have some kind of way to complain if need be (and get a decent loaner)
Exactly, I wouldn't worry at all; The only reason I didn't take it to the dealer is because it wasn't that bad and I knew that a friend would take extra good care of my car for me without having to repaint it. But in any other scenario I would always take it to the dealer because there's no excuse for being cheap when dealing with $55K+ cars.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I just can't wait to see it back to normal and with my FMIC/Stage 3 suspension!!!!!!!! I keep getting texts and emails and every time I keep thinking my SA is writing to say they actually did get it done and I can come pay and pick it up
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I just can't wait to see it back to normal and with my FMIC/Stage 3 suspension!!!!!!!! I keep getting texts and emails and every time I keep thinking my SA is writing to say they actually did get it done and I can come pay and pick it up
Damn that's the worst, but you'll really appreciate your car when you get it back after driving a 1er around for some time, I know I can't wait to get my 5er back after driving a 3er and I can't wait to get my e class back when I have to drive a c class.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
jw's Avatar
jw jw is offline
Raoul Duke
Location: Fat City
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,574
Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
My repair bill came in at around 800 and I won't get my car back mid to next week meanwhile it sits with fresh dinan suspension and FMIC while I drive around in a non turbo i6

saddest day of my life getting told I can't have it back before the weekend
Did you call the guy I told you to? If you've got a BMW loaner, sounds like I already know the answer.
__________________
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Did you call the guy I told you to? If you've got a BMW loaner, sounds like I already know the answer.
You did know the answer. Since it was in for so much work I figured driving out there, getting a quote, filling out loaner paperwork, just too lazy lmao. I just said keep it under 1k and you don't need to check with me I just don't think I'd have saved enough especially Since he showed me the clips were completely off the grill and it would require a new one and total bumper removal the way the part is constructed.

I miss princess so much, I need some wellbutrin or something new parts at the 50k mark and there she sits I authorized a sleepover not a vacation


I still appreciate the quote and given the fact that Rockville won't give loaners for bodywork and that they're really the only one qualified for major work, I'd call your guy up for anything they said would need more than 1k worth of work.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
jbueno jbueno is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi M Sport
Getting ding'd is part of life. My advice is not to worry so much about it. I live in the city and if I worried about scuffs all the time, I would never go anywhere since I would never be able to park my car. Cars are objects to be enjoyed, not to make your life more difficult. I would tell your dad. If he gets mad at you after someone else bumped your car, there's something wrong with this scenario. It would be another thing if you were responsible for the damage.

I got my car in May and last week, I noticed my rear bumper had a large scratch on it. I plan on getting it fixed in a year or two once some more scratches accumulate. Until then, it's still a gorgeous white 550i m sport with a monster under the hood =).
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbueno View Post
Getting ding'd is part of life. My advice is not to worry so much about it. I live in the city and if I worried about scuffs all the time, I would never go anywhere since I would never be able to park my car. Cars are objects to be enjoyed, not to make your life more difficult. I would tell your dad. If he gets mad at you after someone else bumped your car, there's something wrong with this scenario. It would be another thing if you were responsible for the damage.

I got my car in May and last week, I noticed my rear bumper had a large scratch on it. I plan on getting it fixed in a year or two once some more scratches accumulate. Until then, it's still a gorgeous white 550i m sport with a monster under the hood =).
Yeah I've been to NYC many times and I've seen many high end mercedes, BMW's, maseratis, etc etc with curb rash, scratches/dents on bumpers, and various other damages because its obviously impossible to keep any car in great shape there, but where I live it's a little easier so every little thing bothers me. I didn't tell him because my parents always tell me not to drive nice cars to risky places but I did it anyway; luckily I was able to get it fixed and for free nonetheless. Now I'm alright because he never noticed and it's all good.
I give you credit for being able to look at such a nice car with damage on it, I guess you just get used to it?
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
We had snow here today I didn't even try to drive with this 128 RWD... Last thing I need is to total a loaner trying to get to class.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
I feel bad for your situation bro,
But you cannot always control what is happening around you, your dad just can't blame you things that you haven't did, like sht happens, no offense. There is always those people that doesn't know how to park or drive well. We're all responsible adults here.

I do hope things works out in your favor. Good Luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
I feel bad for your situation bro,
But you cannot always control what is happening around you, your dad just can't blame you things that you haven't did, like sht happens, no offense. There is always those people that doesn't know how to park or drive well. We're all responsible adults here.

I do hope things works out in your favor. Good Luck!
Thanks man, I know I see what you're saying but he'll use anything as an excuse to take away the cars from me. Within my first month of driving I scraped my mercedes' rim on the curb trying to get close, he found out and flipped! I even paid for it to get fixed! I know that one was my fault but he was mad for awhile and threatened to take it away. I'm always careful and take care of everything I own but people always manage to f it up.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I just want my car back I hate the NA I6
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Rscheflen Rscheflen is offline
Registered User
Location: Moorestown, NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I scrapped the bumper of my 550i two years ago. The body shop chose not to buff it out but replace and repaint it. As I recall, the cost was $650. But unfortunately, the color (Carbon Black) was a bad match, but the shop admitted this and repainted the bumper and it looked like new. No issues when I turned the car in after the lease expired. So I would not worry about repercussions with BMW, just get it done at a good shop.

Regarding your father, I would man up and tell him what happened. I think in the long run he will appreciate your courage, especially since you are gong to pay for the repairs yourself.

I had a similar experience with my father, about 40 years ago. I took my sister for her driver's test in my father's car (new, but definitely not a BMW.) When we pulled into the parking lot of the test center, my sister Barb scraped one of the doors badly on the cement support for a pole light. She then took the test (passed) and she cried all the way home and said we absolutely could not tell our father what happed.

We stopped at a local body shop and arranged to have the door repaired that day I lent her the money but at 7 pm the shop called and told me that a light stand had fallen on the other side of the car and bashed a door in. They were working on it but it wouldn't be done until midnight. I made up an excuse and told Dad I wouldn't be home until midnight.

The next morning, my sister and I watched from an upstairs window as my father walked out to the car to go to work. We could actually see the mis-match of the paint from 60 feet away, but he got in and drove off.

Twenty-five years later at a family Thanksgiving dinner we finally confessed. My father said, funny thing, that car always smelled like paint to him. We had a god laugh, but I could tell that he was disappointed that we were so frightened of him that we couldn't come to him with the truth.

My advice? Talk to your father. Life is short and he's going to be your father for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
ScottF10's Avatar
ScottF10 ScottF10 is offline
F10
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscheflen View Post
I scrapped the bumper of my 550i two years ago. The body shop chose not to buff it out but replace and repaint it. As I recall, the cost was $650. But unfortunately, the color (Carbon Black) was a bad match, but the shop admitted this and repainted the bumper and it looked like new. No issues when I turned the car in after the lease expired. So I would not worry about repercussions with BMW, just get it done at a good shop.

Regarding your father, I would man up and tell him what happened. I think in the long run he will appreciate your courage, especially since you are gong to pay for the repairs yourself.

I had a similar experience with my father, about 40 years ago. I took my sister for her driver's test in my father's car (new, but definitely not a BMW.) When we pulled into the parking lot of the test center, my sister Barb scraped one of the doors badly on the cement support for a pole light. She then took the test (passed) and she cried all the way home and said we absolutely could not tell our father what happed.

We stopped at a local body shop and arranged to have the door repaired that day I lent her the money but at 7 pm the shop called and told me that a light stand had fallen on the other side of the car and bashed a door in. They were working on it but it wouldn't be done until midnight. I made up an excuse and told Dad I wouldn't be home until midnight.

The next morning, my sister and I watched from an upstairs window as my father walked out to the car to go to work. We could actually see the mis-match of the paint from 60 feet away, but he got in and drove off.

Twenty-five years later at a family Thanksgiving dinner we finally confessed. My father said, funny thing, that car always smelled like paint to him. We had a god laugh, but I could tell that he was disappointed that we were so frightened of him that we couldn't come to him with the truth.

My advice? Talk to your father. Life is short and he's going to be your father for a long time.
Wow that's crazy; I can't believe you managed to find a body shop that fixed everything the same day. You're a good brother for going through all of that stress just to cover for your sister. Unfortunately, both of us had to worry about getting a car fixed that wasn't even our faults. Maybe I'll tell him one day but he'd be pretty mad if I told him about this a month after it happened; it's fixed up so hopefully I won't ever have to worry about it. Thanks for sharing your story, that's pretty interesting and you have me thinking about what I should do.
__________________
2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,195
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Got my baby back bumper looks amazing!!!!!!! The Cobb can't install fast enough. Awesome they gave me all my stock suspension parts and IC back

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
christianfahey's Avatar
christianfahey christianfahey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Memphis, TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: 2003 330i
My local authorized BMW body shop wanted 700 to repair a scratch in the paint of my rear bumper. About 1 inch by 5 inches, no or very minimal damage to the bumper itself. Essentially a buff and repaint job.

YMMV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms