Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
car overheated and is in the shop

So my car is in the shop....again......for another repair. I was driving to work this morning and all of the sudden a warning flashed across the screen on my idrive. It was a yellow or orange temperature gauge saying that the engine was too hot. This was at about 5:40am and I had just barely started driving and the thermostat needle wasn't even moved past the resting point. After the yellow or orange warning came on, it flashed to red and said the engine is overheated and I needed to pullover and stop the engine. I thought this was just an electronic glitch because after it flashed red, it flashed back to yellow or orange and again, the thermostat needle hadn't even moved past the resting point. It kept flashing yellow or orange and so I pulled over and turned the car off thinking that might just reset the car as it might just be an electronic glitch. Restarted the car and it was fine and then started driving and same thing. At this point, I started losing power. The car wouldn't let me drive any faster than 40mph and it was cutting more and more power. At this point, I pulled over, turned off the engine and got towed to the nearest dealer.

The tow truck guy also thought the front brake caliper was busted because he noticed black fluid from the front right and I noticed this too as my car was parked on the side of the freeway. The SA said he thinks that's coolant fluid. The fluid was black like oil so I'm not sure as I thought coolant fluid was greenish.

I'm wondering if this is the water pump or something with the coolant hoses. My coolant was flushed about 3k miles ago under cbs request so I'm wondering if the tech didn't tighten something while flushing the coolant.

Anyways, I'll report back once I get some updated information. Hopefully, this is all covered under my extended warranty.

I found out that the towing isn't covered as I'm supposed to use BMW roadside asstistance but I'm going to ask if I can get reimbursed. I don't see that going anywhere.

So Consumer Reports says BMW is average when it comes to reliability. I say below average to poor at this point.

Last edited by bam; 03-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Bet it's your water pump.

Mechanical parts fail, imagine that! Your dash lights informed you of the failure, seems that function worked. Maybe the limp function (also normal in your car when things go wrong) saved you from completely destroying your engine despite your efforts. Somehow, saying that's poor reliability is a stretch. Consider yourself lucky that you aren't replacing the engine.

g/l
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Bet it's your water pump.

Mechanical parts fail, imagine that! Your dash lights informed you of the failure, seems that function worked. Maybe the limp function (also normal in your car when things go wrong) saved you from completely destroying your engine despite your efforts. Somehow, saying that's poor reliability is a stretch. Consider yourself lucky that you aren't replacing the engine.

g/l
How is this not poor reliability? Just because the computer recoginized that something failed and reduced power to limit the damage doesn't mean the car is reliabile. Reliable would mean that the water pump would have lasted over 220k miles like it did on my wife's 2002 RX300 before we sold it for still a sixth of what we paid for it when new.

What's you're referring to are two seperate issues. One is the bad reliability of BMW's in general and the failing part of possibly the water pump. The second issue is the fact that the car recognizes that something is wrong and went into limp mode to save the car from further damge.

The second issue performed as it was designed but the main issue is the water pump failing in the first place. It shouldn't be something that fails on a car with 85k and that is driven in moderate temps with 80% freeway miles. It just shouldn't happen.

Yes, mechanical parts to fail but some car manufacturers are prone to use parts that fail more frequently than others.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I replaced my water pump as did probably a lot of other owners. It happens and I don't have the funds to sue them for a faulty part that can suddenly reduce the car to limp mode while on the highway. My best advice is bend over take it like a man
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
my temperature on my 335 I is for the oil temperature, my car doesnt have a water temp needle
and takes about 15 miles before it moves

are you sure you are looking at a water temperature gauge?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
my temperature on my 335 I is for the oil temperature, my car doesnt have a water temp needle
and takes about 15 miles before it moves

are you sure you are looking at a water temperature gauge?
True. I was just saying my needle was in the resting position to show that I had just started driving the car but you're right. It's an oil temp needle and not a water temp needle.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM

your needle may have been resting but if you undid the top on the expansion cap get ready for a scolding.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
your needle may have been resting but if you undid the top on the expansion cap get ready for a scolding.
Yup. I know not to do that too. Either hot water or hot steam will end up giving you a facial.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
How is this not poor reliability?
*It is*.

BMW 'system throws some WS low-speed OBD codes months in advance and as mentioned on another site, there is no reason that the info couldn't be communicated to the driver so he won't be stuck in a nasty situation.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
*It is*.

BMW 'system throws some WS low-speed OBD codes months in advance and as mentioned on another site, there is no reason that the info couldn't be communicated to the driver so he won't be stuck in a nasty situation.
That's even worse if the computer knows that the water pump is about to fail due to some signs and stores some codes but doesn't notify anybody of it. Why preemptively store the code if it's not going to communicate it so it doesn't leave the driver standed somewhere? That just makes the situation even worse. If the system throws a code, the SA should be able to read it when they read the keys and say, it looks like your water pump is about to fail. Rather than have it fail and calling for a tow truck, let's just take care of it since you're in here anyways.

Last edited by bam; 03-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
News Flash
BMW 3 series water pumps mechanical or electrical tend to fail between 50-90K miles. This has been true since 1991 for the 6 cylinder engine. Doubt this? Go to the E36/46 sites and search water pump...
You got more miles out of the pump than most do. BMW improves the reliability of its parts over time. New pumps will most likely last a long time. Current pumps are not the best piece of engineering. BMW buys it subcomponents from suppliers. Currently Contential and VDO supply BMW pumps. Remember the HPFP? BMW did eventually fix it and this isn't a Toyota or Lexus. If you want that kind of car go back to them.
For the record I have lost exactly 1 water pump in the 20 or so BMWs I have owned and only one was a 4 cylinder. The one that failed was in a modified SC'ed 325 and had a diet of high rpms.
I keep a new water pump and aluminum bolts in the trunk for that special event. If it doesn't happen by 70K miles I am going to replace it purely based on condition...
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
So Consumer Reports says BMW is average when it comes to reliability. I say below average to poor at this point.
So - ONE mechanical problem and the car isn't reliable?

Ridiculous!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
So - ONE mechanical problem and the car isn't reliable?

Ridiculous!
It's definitely not ONE mechanical failure.

Under my extended warranty, I've had the following fixed:

1. water pump - as of today - stranded me on the freeway
2. oil filter housing
3. dme replaced - limp mode to dealer and the dashboard was basically blowing up with every warning light going off and almost stranded me on the freeway
4. ignition coils and a couple of spark plugs

Within the original bumper to bumper coverage, I've had the following replaced:
1. fuel injectors
2. brake booster vacuum
3. hpfp - limp mode to dealer
4. left exhaust muffler (actually, it was good-willed because it was just a tad outside of the bumper to bumper warranty)

I think I've actually had my fuel injectors replaced on 2 separate occassions but can't confirm as I don't have my paperwork in front of me right now.

So now maybe you might want to edit your response to my quote.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
It's definitely not ONE mechanical failure.

[snip]

I think I've actually had my fuel injectors replaced on 2 separate occassions but can't confirm as I don't have my paperwork in front of me right now.

So now maybe you might want to edit your response to my quote.
No, because you mentioned only ONE failure. You can't assume I know about other failures in other posts. If you want a more relevant response, it helps to provide the relevant information.

Aside from editing a valid earlier response which was based on the information available, I can now say - with the information you have provided in your most recent post - that you probably have indeed suffered an unusual number of parts failures. I don't assume that those are typical of the BMW 3-series, but it's unfortunate that this has happened with your car.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 03-01-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Actually all of those repairs are common to the 3 series except that I'm not sure about the brake vacuum and dme replacement. I can't say that I've read about another brake booster replacement but I think I have read about other dme replacements. As for those other repairs that I listed, they're very common for the 335.

Btw, I don't see anywhere that I said this was the one and only issue that I had and based on this experience, I claimed that bmw's are unreliable. I also didn't list my other repairs because this thread wasn't started to discuss my other issues.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Actually all of those repairs are common to the 3 series except that I'm not sure about the brake vacuum and dme replacement. I can't say that I've read about another brake booster replacement but I think I have read about other dme replacements. As for those other repairs that I listed, they're very common for the 335.

Btw, I don't see anywhere that I said this was the one and only issue that I had and based on this experience, I claimed that bmw's are unreliable. I also didn't list my other repairs because this thread wasn't started to discuss my other issues.
Brake booster is common as well. Honestly these are not ultra reliable cars, but they not too bad either. I'm sure the engine and transmission itself are going to last for a long time, I'm not worried about them at all, but all the electrical crap around the car just keeps dying. My list so far, car is at 84,000 Miles (I'm not the first owner, but still cmon)

My car has the N52 engine

Cd Changer
Bluetooth Module
Ignition coils
Thermostat (actually failed, luckily they fail open)
Waterpump (failed a week ago)
Something is up with my Footrest module
Brake booster valve
Engine ticking (But im in a humid climate and it isn't to bad, just leaving it)
Front wheel bearings

Waiting for A.K.A I hope it failed on the owner that had it before me.
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing
Solenoids

Honestly, just not good enough, will definitely will be my last bmw, I'm tired of being under it.

I would be fine with the Thermostat, waterpump, ignition coils and the wheel bearings, the rest are not acceptable as far as I'm concerned anyways.

I'm also very disappointed that bmw, clearly spend very little money on the waterpump, it's such a critical part of the car and it is failing left right and center across a variety of models and climates.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I have driven Volkswagen's just about all my life and my 2011 328 just turned 23k in one year and has been trouble free. I could not say the same thing about any of the vw's I use to own.

I didn't buy this car thinking it was going to be perfect either, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I will say that I love it and nothing else drives or feels like a BMW.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
So my car is in the shop....again......for another repair.

Well bam, yer screwed. Sure is a pisser t'be stranded, isn't it?

If there's good news, it is this: You got code. System worked as designed and prevented further damage, but didn't warn you before your ride was crippled! Gotta wonder - now that it's at the dealer - what codes were stored in memory - please ask for a complete code readout/printout & post image here. Also, if not printed out, ask if codes are dated.

Hey, and that black fluid? Could be bushing oil, leaking. In which case you'll R&R as needed followed by an alignment.

DIY maintenance looking better and better?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Quote:
I can understand the frustration of having multiple issues with a car hit in a fairly short amount of time. That being said, these are all common problems. I don't know how long you've had the car, but it's not unlikely to have common issues pop up in a 5 year old car;especially in a luxury brand.
My question is did you buy the car new and just not keep up with the service bulletins that said these were common, or did you recently buy the car and not do any research into them before, to find out what common problems they had?
Before I bought mine I looked up every possible issue that was known. Looked at the available information, then decided if it was within my comfort zone for possible issues with a, new to me, car.
If you did the research then you shouldn't be complaining that you had common issues, if you didn't then you should blame yourself for not making an informed decision before you bought the car.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
BMW reliability is not at Lexus level. The N54 is trouble prone. Even Mike Miller the BMWCCA tech expert says the engine is a lemon. The good news here is that BMW's sensors and engine controls will prevent you from damaging your motor if you lose coolant and the engine starts to overheat. It will give your a warning, go into limp home and eventually shut down the engine. I'd rather have have a water pump replaced than get a rebuilt engine.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
BMW reliability is not at Lexus level. The N54 is trouble prone. Even Mike Miller the BMWCCA tech expert says the engine is a lemon. The good news here is that BMW's sensors and engine controls will prevent you from damaging your motor if you lose coolant and the engine starts to overheat. It will give your a warning, go into limp home and eventually shut down the engine. I'd rather have have a water pump replaced than get a rebuilt engine.
That sounds a bit harsh, and while Mike isn't a big fan of a lot of BMW's electronics, I don't recall him branding the N54 a "lemon". Do you have a reference for this?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Lexus isn't at BMW's level of performance. The closer you push to the performance envelope the more reliability issues you'll have. Look at a Ferrari for example; very high performance, but are known to break down a lot. It's up to the consumer to decide where he feels comfortable pushing his luck to when it comes to perfomance
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
2006 330xi 138.5k miles with original water pump, battery, and AT fluid.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post

Very true. So how come you ain't drivin' one?

N54's no lemon IMHO. An extensible and rewardingly programmable engine, it is complicated and multi-faceted. But, BMW's good about refinement.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

LOL I love my car and its had so much spent on it but again I bought it used I don't know how the OP drove it or what they did for 25,000 miles a year. Now I have it I'm putting 30-40 a year on it till its time to give it to my son. What I do know is I love it. Its the best car I have owned and F the Japanese cars that feel like im driving what I live in. A hollow wooden framed home with décor on the inside and out to make it look nice., When all said and done its just a few sticks of wood. A jap car feels like hollow metal frame with cheap plastic thin leather seats and a thing metal skin.