Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine24 View Post
I can understand the frustration of having multiple issues with a car hit in a fairly short amount of time. That being said, these are all common problems. I don't know how long you've had the car, but it's not unlikely to have common issues pop up in a 5 year old car;especially in a luxury brand.
My question is did you buy the car new and just not keep up with the service bulletins that said these were common, or did you recently buy the car and not do any research into them before, to find out what common problems they had?
Before I bought mine I looked up every possible issue that was known. Looked at the available information, then decided if it was within my comfort zone for possible issues with a, new to me, car.
If you did the research then you shouldn't be complaining that you had common issues, if you didn't then you should blame yourself for not making an informed decision before you bought the car.
Well, I'm the original owner and bought it in Nov '07 as an '08 model with 8 miles or so on the odo. I do about 80% freeway driving. My average speed on the trip computer is 43.9 and my avg mpg is 25 so as you can see, it's smooth and easy freeway driving.

I used to own an '88 325is and I loved that car but the one thing that haunted me about that car was something was never right with the starter. Anyways, the dealer could never figure it out and so we end up selling it a long time ago.

Fast forward to '07 and we were in the market for a new car. IS350 was really the only other car I was looking at but didn't like it for many reasons and so we went with the 335. I knew about the hpfp but some of the other common problems hadn't really surfaced at that time to have been considered common because it was still a new model and didn't have much data from previous years to read from. Remember the n54 wasn't introduced til '07 so my car was on the tail end of the first year of n54 production.

I knew the car would have problems and that's why I bought the ext warranty and I thought it would just be little electronic problems because BMW's have never been known to have solid electronics even in previous models. Ask any 7 series owner and they'll tell you or ask any dealer and they may tell you how many 7 series they've bought back.

We're all on here because we either own a bmw or like the brand and enjoy discussing the brand so of course it's expected to see fanboys dogging other brands. The reality is, many people state one of their reasons for owning a bmw is because they drive so well and come on here and brag about how great their car handles and how crappy other brands handle. The fact is, many people are just posers and couldn't even tell the difference if they were blind folded and drove a 3 series or an IS or C or a G.

I'm no fanboy but I do appreciate the efforts of bmw in developing a car that is sporty and enjoyable to drive. Unfortunately, as I said on other occasions, the R&D dollars go towards this sporty development and not to making the car last without all of these common problems.

I'm reading these responses and laughing to myself because it's interesting to see what people have come to accept with these problems to the point where one poster said that he keeps a spare water pump in his car but that still makes for a reliable car. Seriously? I guess you don't know what you don't know. I've been on the other side where I've had multiple reliable cars and with all of the cars that I've owned, all of them added up don't even come close to the number of problems that I've had with this one car.

Life goes on and I deal but I'm posting on theses forums to release frustration but also to help fellow members in case they're in the same boat and experience the same symptoms.

Anyways, happy motoring and Consumer Reports is correct in labeling bmw as average for reliability. For my car, I'd argue below average.

Last edited by bam; 03-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Noone has a problem with you listing issues you have. It helps me when something goes wrong with mine.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
The reality is, many people state one of their reasons for owning a bmw is because they drive so well and come on here and brag about how great their car handles and how crappy other brands handle. The fact is, many people are just posers and couldn't even tell the difference if they were blind folded and drove a 3 series or an IS or C or a G.
Possible I wouldn't be able to tell difference. I don't know. What I do know is that I prefer a car that I'm pis*ed off at 2-3% of the time on average (my number is around 0.2%) and absolutely in love with the remaining time. It makes me smile. It makes me giggle like a schoolboy. It's worth it.

Full disclosure: yes, I do own another car and would probably not own BMW as the ONLY car. So far, it was only consequential (bailed me out) in RFT fiasco. When my VANOS failed, I drove BMW to dealer on reduced power and got a loaner until it was fixed.

Quote:
I've been on the other side where I've had multiple reliable cars and with all of the cars that I've owned, all of them added up don't even come close to the number of problems that I've had with this car.
I've been to that side, too. 3 company provided leases of Toyota and Honda models, 0 problems in 5 years. I cried of joy when I lost company car "privilege" and went to buy ... wait for it ... coming any second now ... VW Jetta TDI. If I ever get company car back, I will refuse it and ask for car allowance check. Or refuse it and buy my own cars. Can't take any more of reliable cars.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 03-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
The fan boys of anything make me laugh with the way they can justify serious issues to themselves. Why argue for something that is causing you grief, makes absolutely no sense. This car is just too risky, recently I went on a long distance trip about 620 miles down and back.

Australia is very remote in most places, if my water pump died anywhere outside a major city I would have been in major trouble. First of all I had 2 other people with me as well. Secondly if the pump went, there wouldn't be anyone within a 200 miles radius that would even know how to change it.

There's just way too much risk and I wouldn't trust the car to make another long run and I think that says a lot about the reliability of the car.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, C230K, 3.2CLS-6
I have 84k on my 06 330 (manual & sport), and I would definitely say it's been unreliable:

Radiator
Heater fan
Brake sensor
Rear wheel bearing
#1 coil

The last 2 items just happened. So today I got the car detailed, and am going to continue to enjoy it because nothing drives like a BMW. My Lexus is the back up car.

Hey, you do what you have to.

Last edited by Klamalama; 03-02-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
The fan boys of anything make me laugh with the way they can justify serious issues to themselves. Why argue for something that is causing you grief, makes absolutely no sense. This car is just too risky, recently I went on a long distance trip about 620 miles down and back.

Australia is very remote in most places, if my water pump died anywhere outside a major city I would have been in major trouble. First of all I had 2 other people with me as well. Secondly if the pump went, there wouldn't be anyone within a 200 miles radius that would even know how to change it.

There's just way too much risk and I wouldn't trust the car to make another long run and I think that says a lot about the reliability of the car.
As frustrating as this was for my Friday morning commute, it could have been worse because I picked up my 4 year old from school on Thursday afternoon and if the water pump died on me on the way home and left me standing on the side of the freeway with my 4 year old exposed to afternoon rush hour, I would have been very upset and immediately sent an email to bmw expressing my displeasure with the reliability of the water pump and how it's been engineered to lasted 50k - 75k miles (as most people have reported.)

It's one thing that it happened to me while I was driving the car by myself but it would have been another thing if my whole family was with me just like how to had 2 other people with you. Not cool.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Aleks

Exactly, different situations get different responses :P My main issue I guess is that there are too many "common" issues that will leave you completely stranded and depending on where you are when it happens will greatly influence how sever you rate the problem to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, I just don't trust it. It's not horribly unreliable, but it's not good enough.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
True, I don't understand it either. I also don't really understand owning a BMW as the ONLY car you own and even less taking a 620 miles trip anywhere in a BMW. That's why places called "Car rental" exist. Cars I would never own, boring to death that come with total insurance of rescue if anything happens anywhere - reliable or not.

I'm actually NOT defending a BMW, if anything I'm criticizing it and I hope they will improve certain things.

EDIT: my car has 43,000 miles in 2 1/2 years - it is not garage queen at all. However, probably more than 35,000 of those miles were done driving with no destination, for pure pleasure only.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 03-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Aleks

Well I guess it comes down to everyones personal situation. For me it is an absolute joke that a car that cost almost 80K new in Australia has so many issues.

The fact that the car is great to drive and be in for me doesn't out weigh the unreliability. I should not have to have a second car and I should not have to pray to god on interstate trips lol
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
lol aleks has a point. If you can't trust your car to drive across a State then what you have isn't even a real car, it's a toy.

As for me, I trust my car much more than that, but I certainly don't think it's utterly reliable.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
lol aleks has a point. If you can't trust your car to drive across a State then what you have isn't even a real car, it's a toy.

As for me, I trust my car much more than that, but I certainly don't think it's utterly reliable.
Exactly, you get a ferrari, you expect it to break, this is car that is built to be used daily, it's not a toy.

I did trust it obviously enough to go twice, but everyday I trust it less and less :P
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM
sk328xi

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi jet black
Pretty much all of you guys that are listing all of these repairs none of you mention the mileage or if you bought the car new or used. Ive had two 328xi ( N52) the last 6 years, follow maitnence schedules to the letter. guess what , never had a problem. first car had roughly 60,000 miles on it. zero problems. sounds to me like some of you have operator error going on. no offense read the owners manuals it explains limp mode etc etc. Not even a BMW can preform correctly if it isnt maintained. Just saying.

Last edited by SK328xi; 03-03-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK328xi View Post
Pretty much all of you guys that are listing all of these repairs none of you mention the mileage or if you bought the car new or used. Ive had two 328xi ( N52) the last 6 years, follow maitnence schedules to the letter. guess what , never had a problem. first car had roughly 60,000 miles on it. zero problems. sounds to me like some of you have operator error going on. no offense read the owners manuals it explains limp mode etc etc. Not even a BMW can preform correctly if it isnt maintained. Just saying.
Maybe you need to read the thread and not make random assumptions because you went to the end, we've all stated how long we've had our cars. Some from used and high miles some from new and low miles.

I can bet you a million dollars that I know my car a million times better then you know yours. I service mine myself and I can gurantee you it is over serviced if anything.

Secondly, can you please explain to me (even if I didn't maintain my car at all) will result result in waterpump, ignition coil, thermostat, vanos solenoids, oxygen sensor failures and valve cover gasket leaks.

My car personally was serviced by the BMW dealer regularly up to 60K miles, even though I wasn't the first owner, I have all the books. The scary part is that who knows what else broke and was changed that I'm not aware of from the first owner.

The guy who started this thread has had his car from new and has had many issues, like many other people that have owned these cars.

I also have a good friend who works at a BMW dealership and even he tells me that they are not reliable and there workshop is constantly full of warranty issues. BMW shows up on the reliability surveys where it belongs in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Aleks

This image describes it perfectly, even though I often think there are a lot of variables, but I agree with it. BMW is just under the industry average for reliability.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Quote:

I bought my car with 98k miles on it and within the first month I took it on a 1400 mile round trip from So cal to Northern Utah, without a second thought about the reliability of the car. The only issue I've had with the car was one of the spark plugs failed, the day my spark plug socket came in the mail, and I wasn't surprised at all, due to the mileage. This is my second 335i (sold my sedan to a friend who was in the market because I wanted a coupe) with over 65k miles and I haven't seen a single issue with either car.
If you're so worried about the reliability that you don't trust it to do what it was made to do, be a daily driver, then obviously the car doesn't fit within your 'comfort zone' for owning it. You might want to reconsider going with another brand or model.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Aleks

Quote:
I bought my car with 98k miles on it and within the first month I took it on a 1400 mile round trip from So cal to Northern Utah, without a second thought about the reliability of the car. The only issue I've had with the car was one of the spark plugs failed, the day my spark plug socket came in the mail, and I wasn't surprised at all, due to the mileage. This is my second 335i (sold my sedan to a friend who was in the market because I wanted a coupe) with over 65k miles and I haven't seen a single issue with either car.
If you're so worried about the reliability that you don't trust it to do what it was made to do, be a daily driver, then obviously the car doesn't fit within your 'comfort zone' for owning it. You might want to reconsider going with another brand or model.
Look, there's obviously going to be people who have had great runs and people who have had awful runs, it's like that with anything. All I'm saying is that there is list of parts that are quite common to go on these cars, which shouldn't go at the mileges that they are going.

And I agree with you 100% this will be my first and last bmw.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Look, there's obviously going to be people who have had great runs and people who have had awful runs, it's like that with anything. All I'm saying is that there is list of parts that are quite common to go on these cars, which shouldn't go at the mileges that they are going.

And I agree with you 100% this will be my first and last bmw.
By no means am I advocating that BMW is a 'bad brand', so no offense meant, but it seems like a lot of people seem to buy luxury cars and get in over their head when it comes to maintaining them, or dealing with issues that pop up. Luxury vehicles are not known for their reliability past 5 years of ownership. They are built to showcase what a brand can do with their technology, which later gets refined and adopted into their more mainstream cars. I'm sorry that you have had so many problems, and I would hate to see you keep such a bad impression of the vehicle that you would go somewhere else. You do have to remember that most of the time the things that break are not due to poor R&D by BMW, but by poor quality control by a third party company that is used to produce a specific part for them. Also when your talking about mass production (they sold over 500,000 3 series cars last year) there is always the possibility of bad parts in a production line that will give a certain vehicle a bad rep for reliability.
In the end, good luck and well wishes from a fellow car enthusiast and gear head
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Aleks

Oh look, honestly, I expected the issues, I just got tired of fixing them as I have less and less time to work on the car. I totally agree with you about the showcasing of technology and obviously this will cause problems because everything is so new, but I still think bmw should do better.

Look at how much Mercedes has improved over the years, now they are way above industry average for reliability, my mechanic has also confirmed for me that he has had very little and minor issues with the w204 and w212. I think BMW and especially Audi need to lift there game.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
By no means am I advocating that BMW is a 'bad brand', so no offense meant, but it seems like a lot of people seem to buy luxury cars and get in over their head when it comes to maintaining them, or dealing with issues that pop up. Luxury vehicles are not known for their reliability past 5 years of ownership. They are built to showcase what a brand can do with their technology, which later gets refined and adopted into their more mainstream cars. I'm sorry that you have had so many problems, and I would hate to see you keep such a bad impression of the vehicle that you would go somewhere else. You do have to remember that most of the time the things that break are not due to poor R&D by BMW, but by poor quality control by a third party company that is used to produce a specific part for them. Also when your talking about mass production (they sold over 500,000 3 series cars last year) there is always the possibility of bad parts in a production line that will give a certain vehicle a bad rep for reliability.
In the end, good luck and well wishes from a fellow car enthusiast and gear head
quote #1... I completely disagreew ith that as my family has enjoyed the very reliable record of our Lexus vehicles. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we finally sold my wife's 2002 RX300 with over 220k miles last year not because it was dying and starting to cost us a bunch of money but because we had gotten our money's worth out of the car and it was time for a new car with better gas mileage. I don't know what your car owning experience has been but if you've never had anything other than a bmw, you'll never know that your statement is misguided. Like the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know.

quote #2....This is not 100% accurate as yes, bmw will outsource many parts on their cars but you have to remember that bmw is conduting the r&d on the vehicles and when they outsource any given part, they will give the specs to the 3rd party to build. There's a cost of everything. Developing a water pump to last over 200k miles costs more to last 50k-75k miles.

Consumer Reports time and time again has always listed bmw as average and below average. I don't recall a year when they were ever listed as above average and year after year, people will always say how awesome their cars handle, etc, etc and that's why bmw is better. You have to remember that when you hear about someone reporting that their car has been trouble free on these forums, you have to take that with a grain of salt because they haven't qualified their situation. Maybe they only drive 4k miles a year. At that mileage, I too would expect the car to be trouble free even if I owned it for 15 years. Maybe the car that they're reporting to be trouble free actually has things that need replacing but they don't know it. An example would be the exhaust rattle. Put my wife in my car and ask her if she hears anything that doesn't sound right or that needs to be fixed and she would shrug her shoulder but of course I heard the rattle right away. To my wife, no problems with the car. To me, definitely needed to be fixed.

Either way, for someone to say that these cars are reliable, that's great for you to sell yourself on that belief. If it helps you feel better about the money that you dropped on the car, then so be it for you. If you try to support your car purchase further by saying the bmw handles world's apart compared to any other car, then good for you for drinking the cool aid.

Some people want to stay in their dream world and that's fine. You still can't argue with Consumer Reports that conducts these reports as fair as possible and is repeated year after year after year.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM

btw...for those that believe that they have a reliable n54 with no problems, please be sure to check your oil filter housing and the water pump as these two issues will affect you at some point. On my previous visit to repair the oil filter housing, I asked the sa if this is common and he said that it will affect the n54 sooner or later.

On my last visit to replace the water pump, I asked the same question and he said that the water pump will fail at some point. My extended warranty covered it and I asked hom how much it would have cost if I didn't have the extended warranty and he said about $1100.

So if you have't had a problem with your n54, be prepared because the storm will come per the SA and if you can learn from my experience and my posts, good luck to you.

Last edited by bam; 03-04-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Aleks

I think we can all agree that 1. The car isn't a lemon and 2. It has more issues than your average car.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I think we can all agree that 1. The car isn't a lemon and 2. It has more issues than your average car.
I can agree that they are not perfect, but I wouldn't say they have more issues, just different ones. Look up the recalls on a VW sometime. The number they have would terrify most owners.
Maybe because I do my own work, which makes it considerably cheaper for me to own, it doesn't bother me as much. My repair bills aren't in the $1000's. I have owned other vehicles that were more reliable; my wife's 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid has been a gem, not a single major issue in over 125k miles, but they didn't have the same performance that my 335 does. My previous BMW was a 91 325i. Had it for over 200k and it ran great; the previous owner took good care of it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I can agree that they are not perfect, but I wouldn't say they have more issues, just different ones. Look up the recalls on a VW sometime. The number they have would terrify most owners.
Maybe because I do my own work, which makes it considerably cheaper for me to own, it doesn't bother me as much. My repair bills aren't in the $1000's. I have owned other vehicles that were more reliable; my wife's 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid has been a gem, not a single major issue in over 125k miles, but they didn't have the same performance that my 335 does. My previous BMW was a 91 325i. Had it for over 200k and it ran great; the previous owner took good care of it.
Not according to Consumer Reports, year after year after year after year....and also the many posts on this forum about the very common repairs and then the not so common repairs.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i (6MT, ZSP, ZPP)
Quote:
Luxury vehicles are not known for their reliability past 5 years of ownership. They are built to showcase what a brand can do with their technology, which later gets refined and adopted into their more mainstream cars.
This makes no sense? The 3 series IS the mainstream car for BMW. The sales of 3 series accounts for nearly half of their revenue, and the water pump in question is likely in most (more than half) of the vehicles they sell.

FWIW, my electric water pump never failed but was replaced around 140K miles as a precaution when the T-stat threw a code.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I think the OP needs to go and by a horse and cart. Then he will be happy reliability will still not live up to his ideal standard.