Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
onetrade onetrade is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Need your help 328xi or 335xi? MPG, Drive, etc...

I am sure this has been gone over 100 times but I cannot find anything that answers my specific dilemma...

Currently driving a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD and LOVEEEEE it! However, I just got a new job and its 50 miles round trip/day. Since I will now need 15,000 miles on my lease (instead of 10k on the GS) I am getting rid of my Lexus and have settled on leasing a new 3 series BMW. (Pending test drive, which I am sure I will then want a 3er even more)

I already have someone that submitted an application to take over my lease, as long as they are approved I should be giving this car up within the next 2 weeks.

So here's my dilemma:
This will be my first BMW. I will be using it mainly for city commutes and normally driving alone. Rarely with my wife and kid but this will be the only car in the family since I am the only driver. When I say city commute I mean going through NYC back and forth daily.

I know the answer is simple. Get a 328xi with DHP, Lighting, sport or m-sport, premium, tech and call it a day. But I know that every time I will pull up to a 335 I will be drooling with a dropped jaw thinking; should have gotten that.

So it all comes down to this:
How much worse will my MPG be in the 335xi (I might go for a manual tranny if I stumble across one). I love speed and acceleration and would def chip either car and take them to a track - so take that into account. I don't mind spending the extra $100/month for the 335, but not if I end up spending an extra $100/month on gas as well.

I don't care about EPA estimates, I want real world MPG. The EPA estimates for my car are 19/28 with a combined 23. My real world MPG is 14mpg, just awful!

I really want to be above, or at least very close to, 20MPG average.

When I told my wife that I will get rid of the lexus and get a new altima, accord or camry because of great MPG, she laughed in my face lol. Nothing wrong with those cars but my last few cars were acura, mercedes and lexus and downgrading to something like that, she just didn't see happening. So whats nice, comfortable, roomy and has good MPG and something I have always wanted? a BMW.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Drive a 328xi. If it feels sufficient call it a day. If not, drive the 335, but after that you may find it harder to settle for the 328. Otherwise, the 328 is as fast as your Lexus. You will average over 20mpg with the 328 no prob.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM
cheikh82's Avatar
cheikh82 cheikh82 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 409
Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
I like driving fast too, and live in NYC. I'm averaging 19 miles in my 335i.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM
onetrade onetrade is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
19 is ok, I wont always drive super fast but as long as I am getting 19+ thats fine. I will test drive both I guess and see whats up. I always wanted the 335 and could never get it. Always get something else last second.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
19 is ok, I wont always drive super fast but as long as I am getting 19+ thats fine. I will test drive both I guess and see whats up. I always wanted the 335 and could never get it. Always get something else last second.
My money says you will get the 335. Why settle?
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,041
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
I am sure this has been gone over 100 times but I cannot find anything that answers my specific dilemma...

Currently driving a 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD and LOVEEEEE it! However, I just got a new job and its 50 miles round trip/day. Since I will now need 15,000 miles on my lease (instead of 10k on the GS) I am getting rid of my Lexus and have settled on leasing a new 3 series BMW. (Pending test drive, which I am sure I will then want a 3er even more)

I already have someone that submitted an application to take over my lease, as long as they are approved I should be giving this car up within the next 2 weeks.

So here's my dilemma:
This will be my first BMW. I will be using it mainly for city commutes and normally driving alone. Rarely with my wife and kid but this will be the only car in the family since I am the only driver. When I say city commute I mean going through NYC back and forth daily.

I know the answer is simple. Get a 328xi with DHP, Lighting, sport or m-sport, premium, tech and call it a day. But I know that every time I will pull up to a 335 I will be drooling with a dropped jaw thinking; should have gotten that.

So it all comes down to this:
How much worse will my MPG be in the 335xi (I might go for a manual tranny if I stumble across one). I love speed and acceleration and would def chip either car and take them to a track - so take that into account. I don't mind spending the extra $100/month for the 335, but not if I end up spending an extra $100/month on gas as well.

I don't care about EPA estimates, I want real world MPG. The EPA estimates for my car are 19/28 with a combined 23. My real world MPG is 14mpg, just awful!

I really want to be above, or at least very close to, 20MPG average.

When I told my wife that I will get rid of the lexus and get a new altima, accord or camry because of great MPG, she laughed in my face lol. Nothing wrong with those cars but my last few cars were acura, mercedes and lexus and downgrading to something like that, she just didn't see happening. So whats nice, comfortable, roomy and has good MPG and something I have always wanted? a BMW.
I'm going to save you a lot of time:

Logic says to get the 328i. I live here too, it's more than enough torque and horsepower to joust every other car on the road, especially at speeds resembling a turtle on city streets most of the time. However, car ownership isn't logical. If you get a 328i you'll always be filled with doubt, and BMW ownership is not about doubt. So your decision is made:

Get a 335i.

That said.....as someone else who's commuting 2 hours a day now, you need the creature comforts. Do NOT skimp on the following options:

Adaptive M Suspension
Technology Package
Lighting Package
Heated Seats
Rear Camera
Park Distance Control

That is the minimum feature-set for any F30 for a commuter in NYC. So if you can't afford the 335i engine with those options at a minimum, sorry, get the 328i.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
onetrade onetrade is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The 335 is in my price range. This was a sample car that I was priced on which is in my range:
Black Sapphire Metallic,
Dakota Black/Red Leather
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance
Premium
Sport Line
Technology
Sport Auto

MSRP $56,945

Lease price was fine. Msport I can do without. I hear I need the DHP but I really want these packages and this would be the top of my range. I really want white exterior so I guess the question is....
What will the lease programs be like for March and what kind of cars are around.

I was just worried about the MPG for the 335. If I can get 20+ then I guess its a no brainer. I really don't want to feel like I settled.

Last edited by onetrade; 03-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,041
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
The 335 is in my price range. This was a sample car that I was priced on which is in my range:
Black Sapphire Metallic,
Dakota Black/Red Leather
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance
Premium
Sport Line
Technology
Sport Auto

MSRP $56,945

Lease price was fine. Msport I can do without. I hear I need the DHP but I really want these packages and this would be the top of my range. I really want white exterior so I guess the question is....
What will the lease programs be like for March and what kind of cars are around.

I was just worried about the MPG for the 335. If I can get 20+ then I guess its a no brainer. I really don't want to feel like I settled.
Heed these words:

Lose the Cold Weather package, just get the heated seats. Lose the Driver Assistance, just get the rear camera and PDC. Use the money saved and just get the Adaptive M Suspension.

There is no point to a 335i if it doesn't handle crisply. If you can't make that math work, forget my earlier advice about 'wishing' for the bigger engine and just get the 328i loaded to the gills.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM
onetrade onetrade is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Now I'm more confused than when I started. Do I need m suspension and DHP?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 AM
KLC KLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 528
Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
Now I'm more confused than when I started. Do I need m suspension and DHP?
Those things can not be had together. Sport and msport cars come with the M Sport Suspension. DHP deletes the M Sport Suspension and adds the DHP suspension. BJ's advice above is sound. Ditch the drivers assistance package and just get the standalone rear camera and PDC options. Ditch CWP and get heated seats as an option. Then use the extra money on DHP.
__________________
ED - 5/13/2013
PCD - 7/17/2013


2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM
cheikh82's Avatar
cheikh82 cheikh82 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 409
Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
I agree. DHP is a must, especially on NYC roads.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM
kpgray's Avatar
kpgray kpgray is offline
328i xDrive Commuter
Location: Rochester, Michigan
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 406
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Heed these words:

Lose the Cold Weather package, just get the heated seats. Lose the Driver Assistance, just get the rear camera and PDC. Use the money saved and just get the Adaptive M Suspension.

There is no point to a 335i if it doesn't handle crisply. If you can't make that math work, forget my earlier advice about 'wishing' for the bigger engine and just get the 328i loaded to the gills.

BJ
No matter which BMW you get, you will be happy. I picked a loaded 328i xDrive over a 335i with no regrets (to me the 328i feels more balanced). The DHP is highly recommended for the 335i xDrive for two reasons, first the 335i and AWD add a significant amount of weight over the front wheels (the 328i RWD is a perfect 50/50 front/rear weight, the 335i xDrive is about 52/48). Second, the 335i xDrive does NOT have the sport suspension and is 20mm higher height than its Sport versions of RWD (this adds to the body roll in corners as it raises the center of gravity). The 335i is noted by many (people here on the forums and in various magazines) that it dives into corners TOO much, therefore the DHP is a must on the 335i, especially with xDrive!

If you only have two weeks to get the car, you must start your search quickly to find that xDrive you want from someones' inventory because ordering is 6-8 weeks! Good luck and take BJ's advice above if you cannot find the ideal 335i and get a "328i loaded to the gills," no regrets!
__________________
Kenneth P. Gray
2013 - 328i xDrive Sport, Imperial Blue/Everest Grey Dakota Leather
2010 Cadillac SRX Performance, Platinum Ice/Ebony (Wife's drive)


2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
mrstas mrstas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 273
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Lots of incomplete advice in this thread, so here's what you need to know:

1) You're looking at an xi, so you won't get a sport suspension in the Sport Line, or the M Sport suspension if you get M Sport. If you want a harder, firmer ride, you MUST get the Dynamic Handling Package with the adaptive suspension. That way, you'll also be able to change between firm/soft.

2) Anyone giving you the advice to forego Cold Weather and opt for heated seats instead doesn't know what they're talking about. The best part of the CW package is the heated steering wheel. Once you come into your car with stiff cold hands after clearing snow or ice from the car, turn on the heated steering wheel, and regain the feeling of warmth in your hands, you'll never go back. It's an enormous difference in the winter. Losing that for a monthly payment difference of $5.55 is nonsense. Oh, and you also get rear heated seats for whenever you drive other people in the back seat.

3) If you want the best gas mileage, get the auto. It's not as much fun, but it's 1-2 mpg better in the city and highway than the manual.
__________________
My history:
1992 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (1998-2003)
1995 Cadillac Seville SLS (2003-2008)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0 si (2006-2008)
2008 Infiniti G35x (2008-2010)
2011 BMW 328xi (ED August 31st 2010, Redelivery November 1st, 2010)
2013 BMW 335xi (ED May 6th, 2013, PCD Redelivery August 7th, 2013)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 AM
KLC KLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 528
Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
Lots of incomplete advice in this thread, so here's what you need to know:

1) You're looking at an xi, so you won't get a sport suspension in the Sport Line, or the M Sport suspension if you get M Sport. If you want a harder, firmer ride, you MUST get the Dynamic Handling Package with the adaptive suspension. That way, you'll also be able to change between firm/soft.

2) Anyone giving you the advice to forego Cold Weather and opt for heated seats instead doesn't know what they're talking about. The best part of the CW package is the heated steering wheel. Once you come into your car with stiff cold hands after clearing snow or ice from the car, turn on the heated steering wheel, and regain the feeling of warmth in your hands, you'll never go back. It's an enormous difference in the winter. Losing that for a monthly payment difference of $5.55 is nonsense. Oh, and you also get rear heated seats for whenever you drive other people in the back seat.

3) If you want the best gas mileage, get the auto. It's not as much fun, but it's 1-2 mpg better in the city and highway than the manual.
The M sport and sport lines have the same suspension. Also, I agree about ZCW, but is rather have DHP than a heated steering wheel, if it came down to it.
__________________
ED - 5/13/2013
PCD - 7/17/2013


2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,041
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
Lots of incomplete advice in this thread, so here's what you need to know:

2) Anyone giving you the advice to forego Cold Weather and opt for heated seats instead doesn't know what they're talking about.
He lives in Brooklyn, not Boston.

He doesn't even need the XDrive, now that I think about it.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
onetrade onetrade is offline
Registered User
Location: brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I would prefer Xdrive because I have a kid and I just feel THAT much safer, especially that it rains so often here. I once started doing 360's in the rain on a front wheel drive infiniti and after that I just feel xDrive is needed.

The problem with picking options is I am not building a car since I need one within 2 weeks. I will be choosing one that is available right away. If things like DHP are a must then I will have to find a 335 that has it. I also need PDC here in NY since its all parallel parking. If the price starts going up up up and passes the max that i can do (or if wifey says too much lol) then I might have to "settle" for a 328 loaded to the gills.

One problem I have is when I see a 3 series with m-sport i am like SICKKKk and then I see that is a 328 and I am like awwww ALMOST.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
danmeyers99 danmeyers99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 142
Mein Auto: 2011 ML350 & 2013 328ix
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
Lots of incomplete advice in this thread, so here's what you need to know:

1) You're looking at an xi, so you won't get a sport suspension in the Sport Line, or the M Sport suspension if you get M Sport. If you want a harder, firmer ride, you MUST get the Dynamic Handling Package with the adaptive suspension. That way, you'll also be able to change between firm/soft.

2) Anyone giving you the advice to forego Cold Weather and opt for heated seats instead doesn't know what they're talking about. The best part of the CW package is the heated steering wheel. Once you come into your car with stiff cold hands after clearing snow or ice from the car, turn on the heated steering wheel, and regain the feeling of warmth in your hands, you'll never go back. It's an enormous difference in the winter. Losing that for a monthly payment difference of $5.55 is nonsense. Oh, and you also get rear heated seats for whenever you drive other people in the back seat.

3) If you want the best gas mileage, get the auto. It's not as much fun, but it's 1-2 mpg better in the city and highway than the manual.
Huh? I may be wrong here (totally plausible) but x-drive does come with the sport suspension. If it does not, then the BMW website is misleading customers in a BIG way. Got to the BMW config, on the 328i xdrive, it specifically calls out the "sport suspension". in two prominent places.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
kpgray's Avatar
kpgray kpgray is offline
328i xDrive Commuter
Location: Rochester, Michigan
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 406
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmeyers99 View Post
Huh? I may be wrong here (totally plausible) but x-drive does come with the sport suspension. If it does not, then the BMW website is misleading customers in a BIG way. Got to the BMW config, on the 328i xdrive, it specifically calls out the "sport suspension". in two prominent places.
The website is noted for mistakes, the Sport Suspension being one of many, if you look at the individual build sheet, you will see that the xDrive option deletes the sport suspension! The reason apears to be the combination of increased height of the xDrive (+ 10MM) and decreased height of the Sport suspension (-10MM). If you get xDrive and want a sport suspension, DHP is the only way from the factory!
__________________
Kenneth P. Gray
2013 - 328i xDrive Sport, Imperial Blue/Everest Grey Dakota Leather
2010 Cadillac SRX Performance, Platinum Ice/Ebony (Wife's drive)


2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I have a 335i (not xi) and my commute is ~1.9 miles. In warmer temps I average 27-28mpg. Now that I've moved to the DC metro area (same commute ~1.9mi) and the temperatures here are much colder, I am getting about 20mpg because the car doesn't have time to warm up.

Driving back and forth between NC & DC (~280mi) I was averaging 33-34mpg all highway.

This is of course driving efficiently and not flooring it between stop lights, not waiting until the last second to brake, and using cruise control on the highway.

I have also managed to get low teens when I'm driving in sport mode and using the throttle heavily, so you can achieve the results you want in a 335 based on how you drive it.
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Heed these words:

Lose the Cold Weather package, just get the heated seats. Lose the Driver Assistance, just get the rear camera and PDC. Use the money saved and just get the Adaptive M Suspension.

There is no point to a 335i if it doesn't handle crisply. If you can't make that math work, forget my earlier advice about 'wishing' for the bigger engine and just get the 328i loaded to the gills.

BJ
I would disagree with losing the cold weather package. The heating steering wheel alone is worth it. I would never give that up now that I have it.
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
kobechrome's Avatar
kobechrome kobechrome is offline
Yoyo Mama
Location: Ashburn, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 619
Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
I drive pretty aggressively and getting about 22-23 mpg on 335xi
__________________

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
danmeyers99 danmeyers99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 142
Mein Auto: 2011 ML350 & 2013 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
The website is noted for mistakes, the Sport Suspension being one of many, if you look at the individual build sheet, you will see that the xDrive option deletes the sport suspension! The reason apears to be the combination of increased height of the xDrive (+ 10MM) and decreased height of the Sport suspension (-10MM). If you get xDrive and want a sport suspension, DHP is the only way from the factory!
Thanks KP. My response is Houston we have a problem! I specifically picked the Sport as I wanted the Sport suspension - I didn't pay $2500 to get red stitching and there is no way brushed trim/red accent, rims and sports seats warrant a $2500 upgrade. My SA never mentioned that the xi didn't have the Sport suspension (and I specifically called it out) - had I known, I would have gotten the DHP. What is infuriating is that the website list the options for the xdrive with Sport as having "Sport Suspension" (clearly, not implied). My car is in production now and no way to change that. Ugh... need to breath... I also checked the glossy PDF and no where does it call out that the Sport Suspension is not on the xdrive. Need to rethink this as there is a distinct driving feel.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,251
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Yah, basically DHP is a must on xdrive. Or add M Performance suspension components at port, though I am unsure if anyone has done that on an xdrive yet.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Good advice so far on the options. Get all of them. I didn't know the importance of DHP especially with x drive. But don't dismiss the others, tech, premium, cold, etc. Get the thing loaded up.

Now to the real question. I have a 335 but just got to drive a 328 as a service loaner. 2 points. 1)Never buy a car that is the same spec used as the main service loaner. 2)the 328 engine is "fine" and "enough" and "eager" and whatever adjective you want to use for it. But it sucks compared to the 335. No offense guys. It is pepppy, but it sounds terrible and is not smooth. The 335 is more powerful obviously, but the exhaust note and utter lack of vibration on the 335 is worth the price difference alone. The exhaust note is awesome from inside and outside. I don't get it to hear it from the outside much but I was sitting talking to my SA and I heard this little rumble behind and turned to see my car being pulled to one of the bays. It has tons of presence.

Simply put, get a fully loaded 335 or nothing at all. Price differences are options should not matter to someone considering a BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
gnuf gnuf is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Lux Line
I haven't seen anyone mention the Driver's assistance Package. Backup camera and PDC are great, but the overhead cameras and the front bumper cameras (for coming out of an alley, or when cars are parked too close to the intersection and you can't see around them) are fantastic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms