Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 AM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Rust...why?

Gents. Been watching the forum on the fringe for awhile. Over this time, the board been helpful on a number of cases that have assisted me trouble shoot when needed. However, I've come across an issue on my 2012 335i w/o a reference. In the pics below, you'll see my rear brakes housing group w/ rust. I'm not sure if this is a natural occurrence or if the factory missed treating the part or left a part of entirely. Just looking to engage the audience for feedback and guidance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	364489

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	364490
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,053
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
rotors are made of cast iron, both the rotors themselves and the iron dust from normal wear will rust... the rotors are usually lightly cadmium plated to prevent rusting during parts storage, the coating is designed to wear off quickly and expose the cast iron.

if it bothers you, you can sand/, mask, then hi temp paint the rotor hats. its not a materials defect, here in the north east, most rotor rats will look like that or alot worse. the chemicals used at car washes for brake dust removal seem to accelerate the rusting. being near the ocean will also accelerate the corrosion
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-02-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Pappy Pipes Pappy Pipes is offline
///M Sport
Location: So Cal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 428
Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Seems to me like BMW has a lot of rust issues. And BF has a lot of BMW apologists who don't give a hoot about your problem so long as it doesn't affect them.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678606
I suggest you Google your problem to ascertain if it's a known issue or isolated to your particular vehicle.
__________________

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 AM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Appreciate the input and explanation.

BMW's logic just doesn't compute on my smell checker here. I treat my wife's Enclave and all other vehicles I've owned over the years w/o the signs of corrosion. Gross oversight BMW.

Thanks for the rudder steer Pappy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,976
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
rotors are made of cast iron, both the rotors themselves and the iron dust from normal wear will rust... the rotors are usually lightly cadmium plated to prevent rusting during parts storage, the coating is designed to wear off quickly and expose the cast iron.

if it bothers you, you can sand/, mask, then hi temp paint the rotor hats. its not a materials defect, here in the north east, most rotor rats will look like that or alot worse. the chemicals used at car washes for brake dust removal seem to accelerate the rusting. being near the ocean will also accelerate the corrosion
this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRight88 View Post
Appreciate the input and explanation.

BMW's logic just doesn't compute on my smell checker here. I treat my wife's Enclave and all other vehicles I've owned over the years w/o the signs of corrosion. Gross oversight BMW.

Thanks for the rudder steer Pappy.
You haven't been paying very close attention over the years. This type of rust on brake rotors is not unique to BMW in any way, shape or form. It occurs across the board with virtually every vehicle manufactured on the planet and has for at least the more than thirty years I've been driving.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
this.

You haven't been paying very close attention over the years. This type of rust on brake rotors is not unique to BMW in any way, shape or form. It occurs across the board with virtually every vehicle manufactured on the planet and has for at least the more than thirty years I've been driving.
Totally agree w/ everything you said about rotors. However, the rotors aren't the issue here. It's the brake housing group our whatever the component is called in the picture above. Not sure what the proper name is, but it supports the linkage joining the tire to the car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,223
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRight88 View Post
Totally agree w/ everything you said about rotors. However, the rotors aren't the issue here. It's the brake housing group our whatever the component is called in the picture above. Not sure what the proper name is, but it supports the linkage joining the tire to the car.
Looks like what is called the HAT of the rotor or the FLANGE of the wheel, or both. Hard to make out from the picture.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Looks like what is called the HAT of the rotor or the FLANGE of the wheel, or both. Hard to make out from the picture.
You nailed it. Just Googled it and the description matches the root issue. Appreciate the assist. Interesting to note, on the front wheels the car has a protective shield or guard. The rear is w/o.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,053
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRight88 View Post
You nailed it. Just Googled it and the description matches the root issue. Appreciate the assist. Interesting to note, on the front wheels the car has a protective shield or guard. The rear is w/o.
I havent looked into it that much but I think bmw is using a 2 piece rotor up front, which is why the "hat" looks like a shield. the rear is still a one piece. The rotor and the hat are the same unit, one piece cast iron.



Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,976
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
The rotor and the hat are the same unit, one piece cast iron.
This. The hat IS PART of the rotor. So, I'll say it again, you haven't been paying very close attention over the years.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This. The hat IS PART of the rotor. So, I'll say it again, you haven't been paying very close attention over the years.
There's always one....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRight88 View Post
Gents. Been watching the forum on the fringe for awhile. Over this time, the board been helpful on a number of cases that have assisted me trouble shoot when needed. However, I've come across an issue on my 2012 335i w/o a reference. In the pics below, you'll see my rear brakes housing group w/ rust. I'm not sure if this is a natural occurrence or if the factory missed treating the part or left a part of entirely. Just looking to engage the audience for feedback and guidance.

Attachment 364489

Attachment 364490
My wife's 535xi had the same problem. Our dealer painted the wheel or brake "hubs" (remember hub caps?) under warranty and they have not rusted through since '09. My SA told me at the time that it is most prevalent with cars driven short distances to work and where the brakes don't have a chance to really heat up and burn the moisture off of the brake assembly. Whether I buy this or not, I'm not sure. Our '11 M3 has some rust on the hubs and it's getting worse. This car is a daily driver of 30 miles each way to work.

Our '11 Audi S4 has a discoloration on the brake hubs but not rust. I think it's from the brake dust. My 335is does not have any rust issues there but it usually only gets driven in nice weather. None of our American cars have ever had the problem.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 03-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
this.

You haven't been paying very close attention over the years. This type of rust on brake rotors is not unique to BMW in any way, shape or form. It occurs across the board with virtually every vehicle manufactured on the planet and has for at least the more than thirty years I've been driving.
I think this problem is mostly with BMWs. None of our other car have had this issue including cars made by Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, VW, Chevy, Nissan, Jeep, Ford, etc. Our '01 BMW 740il never had this problem. Our '08 BMW did. Our '11 M3 has some and it's starting to get worse.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 03-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I just checked the hubs on my '08 Tahoe with 63,000 miles on the odometer. No rust whatsoever. GM uses a medium to dark grey paint on the hubs and they still look new. The same finish was on my '09 Corvette ZO6 and it too had no rust.

The other thing GM does right is to design wheels that cover the brake hub, so even if it did rust, you can't see it.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 03-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
ReddRight88 ReddRight88 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: K1200S & 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
My wife's 535xi had the same problem. Our dealer painted the brake "hubs" under warranty and they have not rusted through since '09. My SA told me at the time that it is most prevalent with cars driven short distances to work and where the brakes don't have a chance to really heat up and burn the moisture off of the brake assembly. Whether I buy this or not, I'm not sure. Our '11 M3 has some rust on the hubs and it's getting worse. This car is a daily driver of 30 miles each way to work.

Our '11 Audi S4 has a discoloration on the brake hubs but not rust. I think it's from the brake dust. My 335is does not have any rust issues there but it usually only gets driven in nice weather. None of our American cars have ever had the problem.
Likewise, all my US owned vehicles never had this issue. Same can be said for my Japanese owned cages. Thanks for the confirmation beden1 -- we'll see what the service rep has to say after I use the warranty alibi for justification.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
dalekressin's Avatar
dalekressin dalekressin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,007
Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Rust is oxidation. AS previously stated this is common in all makes/models.
Walk through car lots after rainy weather. Common.
__________________
94 530i sold (That was difficult for me)
01 530i >144,500+ miles SOLD
06 330XI winter's especially fun drive (SOLD)
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Mark K's Avatar
Mark K Mark K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,984
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I think this problem is mostly with BMWs. None of our other car have had this issue including cars made by Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Chevy, Nissan, Jeep, Ford, etc. Our '01 BMW 740il never had this problem. Our '08 BMW did. Our '11 M3 has some and it's starting to get worse.
Oh, don't tell him that, you'll become BMW apologist. The point is my front AND rear rotor hub on the DRIVER side are completely rusted. Both front and rear on passenger side look like OP's pictures (some rust, but almost like new). It seems pretty obvious to me that slush from salted roads thrown at you from vehicles you pass coming from opposite directions are causing this non-issue. Disgusting looking nonetheless.

Even stranger is the fact that my Jetta TDI that rides these same roads 4 years longer than my BMW has no such issue.
__________________

_____________________________________________

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 03-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
Rust is oxidation. AS previously stated this is common in all makes/models.
Walk through car lots after rainy weather. Common.
Not talking about the brake discs. They quickly rust from oxidation. Talking about the hub, and it's not a problem on all makes of cars.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Oh, don't tell him that, you'll become BMW apologist. The point is my front AND rear rotor hub on the DRIVER side are completely rusted. Both front and rear on passenger side look like OP's pictures (some rust, but almost like new). It seems pretty obvious to me that slush from salted roads thrown at you from vehicles you pass coming from opposite directions are causing this non-issue. Disgusting looking nonetheless.

Even stranger is the fact that my Jetta TDI that rides these same roads 4 years longer than my BMW has no such issue.
We agree then. Your BMW has the rusted hubs. Your VW did not?

It is a cosmetic issue and not a structural problem non-the-less.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 03-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Mark K's Avatar
Mark K Mark K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,984
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
We agree then. Your BMW has the rusted hubs. Your VW did not?

It is a cosmetic issue and not a structural problem non-the-less.
Correct. And that's why I'm not making an issue out of it. Nice, however, it isn't. Normal neither, considering other makes you and I had owned. As a matter of fact, it pis*es me off just a little. Especially when I put on OEM summer tires rims (those in sig picture).
__________________

_____________________________________________

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,223
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I have also encountered it on a variety of aftermarket rotor hubs. Some brands rusted, others the coating was top notch. Sometimes OEMs even swap brake manufacturers. I would have non rusty ones for my Viggen, buy new OEM and then they rusted, come to find out they went from being made in Sweden to being made in Asia.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I have also encountered it on a variety of aftermarket rotor hubs. Some brands rusted, others the coating was top notch. Sometimes OEMs even swap brake manufacturers. I would have non rusty ones for my Viggen, buy new OEM and then they rusted, come to find out they went from being made in Sweden to being made in Asia.
If they rust, just do what I did and have the dealer paint them under warranty. My dealer was really good about it, and was the one who offered to paint them.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I have also encountered it on a variety of aftermarket rotor hubs. Some brands rusted, others the coating was top notch. Sometimes OEMs even swap brake manufacturers. I would have non rusty ones for my Viggen, buy new OEM and then they rusted, come to find out they went from being made in Sweden to being made in Asia.
Rotor hubs. I think you nailed it.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,672
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
The brake calipers on our 535xi are also rusting, which is another reason why I'm pissed that BMW does not have finished brake calipers. Unfortunately, these started rusting after the original warranty ran out.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM
EDF30 EDF30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: UDMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
If they rust, just do what I did and have the dealer paint them under warranty. My dealer was really good about it, and was the one who offered to paint them.
Just found this thread, I have same issue on a 3 month old AH3, what kind of paint did your dealer use? Going to ask a dealer nearby to paint these rear hubs, fronts are fine.

 photo 20130904_135416.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms