Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328I
Radio display Issue

I purchased my first BMW Friday night, I love it best vehicle I've ever driven! Today while driving around my radio display messed up, found on here where other people have had issue but never saw the fix, Im attaching picture of the display The vehicle is a 2007 BMW 328I Sedan
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Join the club.

Here is a company that will either have you send them your radio and repair it ($169.00 + shipping) or send you a new display if you are handy for 149.00.

http://myworld.ebay.com/germanaudiotech/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CD73-PRO...item27c6833db7

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 03-02-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added url
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Join the club.

Here is a company that will either have you send them your radio and repair it ($169.00 + shipping) or send you a new display if you are handy for 149.00.

http://myworld.ebay.com/germanaudiotech/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CD73-PRO...item27c6833db7
Thanks! I am taking it to the dealership I purchased from on monday morning to get a rear window fixed that doesnt like to roll up and the car has a 99 Day warrenty an I believe that the radio should be covered so Im going to see if they'll replace it.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbennett View Post
Thanks! I am taking it to the dealership I purchased from on monday morning to get a rear window fixed that doesnt like to roll up and the car has a 99 Day warrenty an I believe that the radio should be covered so Im going to see if they'll replace it.
It is a very common problem and you can find plenty of other people on this and other BMW websites that have the same issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Some horiz lines out - a common problem w/dot matrix LCD displays. Could be a connector, controller, or very often the LCD display.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Some horiz lines out - a common problem w/dot matrix LCD displays. Could be a connector, controller, or very often the LCD display.
The LCD display on my radio/cd player works great for the first 30 minutes or so, then it begins to fade out in vertical lines.

You can still read it but it is very annoying and gives the car a junky feeling.

As soon as I get an extra 150 bucks and the time to mess with it I'm going to send it to German Audiotech to swap it out for a good one.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The LCD display on my radio/cd player works great for the first 30 minutes or so, then it begins to fade out in vertical lines.

You can still read it but it is very annoying and gives the car a junky feeling.

As soon as I get an extra 150 bucks and the time to mess with it I'm going to send it to German Audiotech to swap it out for a good one.
I'm going to do the same, the dealership i purchased from gave me a 99 day warranty I believe it covers the radio, my question is would the new radio they put in do the same thing sould I bother with the dealer? or should I just send it away. I have to take it in because I need a window switched replaced too so I'l going to try.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm going to do the same, the dealership i purchased from gave me a 99 day warranty I believe it covers the radio, my question is would the new radio they put in do the same thing should I bother with the dealer? or should I just send it away. I have to take it in because I need a window switched replaced too so I'l going to try.

That's a good question. I guess if you don't mind taking it out yourself the dealer would probably agree to pay the 169 bucks and that way you'd be certain that you had a new LCD display instead of one that was going to do the same thing a year or so later.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
This is a long time problem with BMW Radio's

This is a long time problem with BMW Radio's
A dealer will only replace the whole unit I am pretty sure.
They have been using this same display type since before the
turn of the century. So if you get another BMW Radio it probably will
happen again especially if you live in an extreme temperature climate.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-03-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Like I said, mine only does it after 30 minutes or so and based on what I have read from other posters I think it is due to heat. The radio area is noticeably warm to the touch when the failure occurs.

I wonder if I could rig a little cooling fan behind the dash pointed at the radio to alleviate the problem?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Like I said, mine only does it after 30 minutes or so and based on what I have read from other posters I think it is due to heat. The radio area is noticeably warm to the touch when the failure occurs.

I wonder if I could rig a little cooling fan behind the dash pointed at the radio to alleviate the problem?
That might work, mine does it all the time doesn't go and come. Im going to see wheat the used car lot says tomorrow when I got get my window fixed.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
My Saab 9-3 had the same display....same problem. Good thing it's an easy fix.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: E70
Quote:
I purchased my first BMW Friday night, I love it best vehicle I've ever driven! Today while driving around my radio display messed up, found on here where other people have had issue but never saw the fix, Im attaching picture of the display The vehicle is a 2007 BMW 328I Sedan
This require new LCD screen to be installed. No other remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
My Saab 9-3 had the same display....same problem. Good thing it's an easy fix.
You can just replace the ribbon cable (what connect board to the LCD). Most likely LCD doesn't need to be replaced (unless it is cracked). Pretty easy fix.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
...Or just wear polarized sun glasses and you won't even be able to see the screen. Problem solved.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
...Or just wear polarized sun glasses and you won't even be able to see the screen. Problem solved.
Not necesseraly right. Depends on the polarization direction
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 02 745i
I need help I just brought a02 745 I and I can't get my radio to work somebody if u can help please
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335ix Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
That was the first thing I noticed after I bought my car - I put on my ray-ban's to drive away, and thought the radio display had gone dark, until I cocked my head looking at it.

I wondered if it had been installed with a wonky screen, but apparently not...
50,xxx mi
1999 540i Sport - Retired w/202,xxx
1997 540i - Retired w/162,xxx