Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 320 D
ABS trifecta - 2001 320D

Im new to the forum and have read all I can about the ABS/traction control/brake warning light message trio. All three lights are on before I even start the car and stay on all the time. I have a German spec 2001 320D. I bought the car used with this problem already existing.

I cant find anything that tells me what the resistance reading should be for my ABS speed sensors. I Ohm'd them out and only one (right front) shows 5 Meg Ohms and the rest show infinite with either polarity. My speedo and cruise control work fine, so I don't think I have 3 bad sensors. I attempted to pull them out to clean them... I started with the left front and the allen bolt sheered off even with the back of the hub. AWESOME. I decided not to pull the rest out to clean them. I am trying to avoid buying a ABS module if I don't have to. So here are my questions:

What should the sensors read when Ohm'd out?

What AC voltage should they read if I spin the wheels by hand?

Does anyone have a pinout of the ABS module connector?

Even with bad speed sensors, will I get failure indications before I start driving? In other words: are the sensors tested the moment the key goes to the ON position?

I have an Ate Mark60 module and from what Ive read, they cannot be sent in for repair. Is this correct?

I know many of you have had these issues. So, please pass on what you have learned and I'll do the same. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Little Red Wagon
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedWagon View Post
I cant find anything that tells me what the resistance reading should be for my ABS speed sensors
While the actually reading will vary depending on the voltmeter (since we're talking DIODE action of a Hall Effect Sensor so the reading is dependent on the voltmeter power source), the reading itself isn't as important as the consistency with the other three wheel speed sensors.
However, to answer your question, with just about EVERY E38, E39, and E46 getting the trifecta, I'm surprised you haven't seen the myriad readings reported in the canonical threads.

For example, have you seen this thread yet, which is found in a split second by typing /abs into the E39 bestlinks (which shares ABS and engine with the E36)?
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)

See also:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 03-03-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedWagon View Post
Does anyone have a pinout of the ABS module connector?
This thread has the pinouts for all the known problematic ABS control modules:

In addition, there was a wonderfully detailed DIY repair of the 7th silver-colored wire inside the ABS control module, over here today!