Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i automatic
95 325i auxilary fan does not turn on nor heater

I'm wondering where is the relay for the fan and heater - my cooling system isn't in it's best shape either. I've been working and learning on it myself but being that I am a lady who's unfamiliar w cars could use any words or direction that will help lead to good results and better performance w the car ...it also overheats and also I'm not quite sure much of anything thank uiu
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your thread over to the E36 3 series forum for you now. You should get the help you need in here. Try searching around in this forum for answers, or one of our other great E36 owners might pop in to help.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilreene95'325i View Post
I'm wondering where is the relay for the fan and heater - my cooling system isn't in it's best shape either. I've been working and learning on it myself but being that I am a lady who's unfamiliar w cars could use any words or direction that will help lead to good results and better performance w the car ...it also overheats and also I'm not quite sure much of anything thank uiu
You must be very cautious with that overheating. The Achilles heel of E36's is their cooling system. They have to be replaced every 60-80k miles. We all do this sort of stuff ourselves so it usually runs in the $400-500 range for the parts. The stickies at the top of this sub-forum will give you some excellent links for all of your wiring diagrams relays and the like, so they are a great place to familiarize yourself with your new car. But never run the car while it's overheating, pull over and stop immediately. You can cause catastrophic damage to your engine if it gets too hot. But for reference and proper recommendations, what do you know about the car's history and it's service records?

And it's our tradition here that all new people have to post pics of their new cars! So let's see it!

PS thanks for the move Tim!

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Also, the fuses and relays for the aux fan and HVAC are under the hood, in a black box, next to the brake master cylinder (driver's side). If you look on the underside of the lid, it will have a diagram telling you which fuses and relays correspond with which vehicle function.

And as mentioned above, never EVER drive the car if it overheats. If the temp needle ever goes above 12 o'clock, shut it off and get a tow. If you don't, chances are very high that you will kill the engine.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback