Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 AM

Mein Auto: (E39) 2001 530iA M Sport
2001 530iA Sport Intro

I have been lurking for the past year and a half, but decided it was finally time to introduce myself.

I am an American engineer living in Germany, and decided to bite the bullet and get a car here. As they say, when in Germany, do as the Germans do. I come from the Nissan VQ35DE cars (Nissan Maxima SE 6spd/Infiniti G35), so I decided I needed the M54B30. I briefly considered a 330i, but cultural pressure (i.e. older 3er are driven by the Turkish) forced me into the 5er. Which I am happy about, as I do a number of longer trips each year, for which the 5er is perfect.

Due to a minor* incident in 2007, I am restricted to driving automatic-equipped vehicles in Germany. This probably also contributed to my choice of a BMW and a 3.0L. Not unsurprisingly in a country where the majority of people drive manual-equipped cars, there are few auto 530i's with the M Sport Package, etc. that I was looking for. I ended up driving 650 km (400 mi) to the Munich area to pick up my car from a car-selling repair shop. A little sketchy, and the hosers didn't do any of the stuff they promised to do before I took delivery. So I drove it home with a defective thermostat (stuck open), old oil, occasionally squeaky pulleys, etc.

After reading a bunch on the 'fest, I jumped in and redid the entire cooling system, belts and pulleys, CCV, VANOS rebuild, front wheel bearings and small stuff. As I am not so far from ZF, I took the car there to do a complete service for the transmission (fluid, replace and update parts) and rear differential (fluid). I have also upgraded from MKIII to the much faster MkIV Nav.

I have recently begun to have the dreaded braking shimmy, and occasional banging while coming to a stop on bumpy surfaces. I plan on a complete front-end overhaul and upgrading to Bilstein Sports all around.

I am glad to be on this forum (esp. the E39-forum), as there is so much knowledge and activity.

*it was not minor.
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: (E39) 2001 530iA M Sport
Winter wheels+tires

Summer wheels+tires
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
jeezuz, your Style 66's look like they just rolled off the forge!! And I'm glad to have found a bro-in-wheels; I just bought a spankin' new set of style 71s, I'll get some pics up here soon.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Very nice! Welcome!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
2001 530iA Sport Intro

I forgot I said I'd post here!
The good ol 66's
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379825700.535767.jpg