Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335ix Sport
Bought my '08 from the dealer more than a month ago, still no title

So, I bought a 2008 335xi on January 26th from Plaza BMW in St. Louis. On the day I bought it, the finance manager said they'd mail my title and paperwork to register the car in a couple days.

Feb 5, I called to ask about the paperwork, and was told it was mailed Jan 29th. BMW business manager said if it doesn't show up, we'll have to request a replacement.

I then called the Missouri DOR, and asked how long it takes to get a replacement title, and about late penalties. Was told a replacement takes a week.

Feb 11, I call the dealership business manager again, said that the paperwork never arrived, and asked for replacement paperwork. Said he would call me when the title comes in, and I can stop in to pick it up.

Feb 25, 30 days after sale, date sales tax pmt is due, still no title. I'm told by dealership business manager that other titles they requested were coming in, and mine should be there any time.

Yesterday, March 5, still no call. Stop by the dealer, business mgr had people in his office, so I walked into the GM's office. Explained my situation, said he'd check into it.

GM calls me this morning. Said that application for replacement had been filed for on Feb 5th, and that due to snow in the state capital, the DOR was behind and was currently processing duplicates from late January. Also said that sometimes titles are slow to come in from the finance companies, including BMW.

I then decided to run over to the License Bureau a couple blocks from my office. I show them my purchase paperwork, and they tell me that replacement was applied for on Feb 11, and hasn't been issued, likely because of the notice of sale the dealership filed. The license bureau manager suggested that I call the dealership again and tell them this, and that they need to work it out with the DOR. So, I left vmail with the business manager and am awaiting his call.

I'm ticked that I'm having to invest so much time and aggravation into this. I'm currently driving on plates registered to my old car, so I could get ticketed for doing so. In addition, I'm accruing penalties for not paying the sales tax.

Is this something to complain to BMWNA about?
50,xxx mi
1999 540i Sport - Retired w/202,xxx
1997 540i - Retired w/162,xxx
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Oh, the License Bureau manager also called bull**** on processing delays. Said replacement titles are running 5 business days, and there are no Snow Days in Jefferson City.
50,xxx mi
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well thats because when the dealership got your money they no longer cared about you. and you think the state govenment employees care about you either? they cant get fired an dont really care about doing their job.

when you get a letter from the state asking where your taxes are, first ask them to produce a title showing the car is in your name. tell them when they do their job and send you the title you will be happy to send them the money, but I would reason that untill you have a title to the car in your name the car is technically not yours yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Stop. Call your State Dep't of Consumer Affairs at the Attorney General's Office, tell them your story and ask for advice. Then call your insurance company. They may well tell you that you have no insurance because you can't insure a car you don't own and without a title you don't own it.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM

This is pizzing me off. Business manager just called back, gave me the same story about the DOR being backlogged. I asked him point blank if they had the original title when they sold me the car. He said that he didnt' know. I reminded him that he told me that the title had been mailed on January 29th. He then admitted that it had not, and that when he asked the title clerk at the dealership, she said it had not been mailed (even though the file indicated it had been), and that they applied for replacement title. I reminded him that it's not legal to sell a car to which you don't have the title.
50,xxx mi
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
I am in a similar boat. I bought a car from Global Imports BMW in ATL on 2/8/13 and it is now 3/28 and I haven't heard a peep. The dealer does however continue to send me new temp tags until the title shows up.

OP, Did you ever get resolution?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i (6MT, ZSP, ZPP)
OP, you need a lawyer to write a letter. Perhaps a friend or family member, just something to wake up this half-assed stealership. So many awful stories on the forums about the things dealers try to pull.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Pretty annoying. I had a similar issue with getting my title and perm. tags from BMW of Alexandria in VA. They kept telling me some BS story about how the paperwork was at the MD DMV and sometimes it just takes a while. Turns out they never submitted it b/c they had delays in getting title to it after taking possession after a lease. Had my temp tags expire 2x, one of those times my sales advisor went on vacation before taking care of issuing new tags like he promised. Will NEVER visit that dealer again.