Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
Question 550i software update.

My USB and IPOD connection does not display the album art. I read that you can update the software by downloading the update from the BMW.com. When i put my VIN tho, it says i can't update it because it has to be built later than Apr 2010 or something. I think my on dash computer is updatable. Is there some other place where i can download the update to my car? has someone tried it? Can someone share me the software update with me for 2010 550i GT? I did search but i couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
I thought of a simpler way. If someone doesn't mind, can anyone PM me the last 7 digit of the valid VIN which i can use to download the software? Thank you in advance. it is for 550i GT 2010.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
There were some hardware changes made in Sep 2010...updating the software may not make any difference, and could mess things up as it may not be compatible.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
My USB and IPOD connection does not display the album art. I read that you can update the software by downloading the update from the BMW.com. When i put my VIN tho, it says i can't update it because it has to be built later than Apr 2010 or something. I think my on dash computer is updatable. Is there some other place where i can download the update to my car? has someone tried it? Can someone share me the software update with me for 2010 550i GT? I did search but i couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance.
the Y cable doesnt support album art, you need to retrofit the phone cradle (if you dont already have one) or replace the usb module to allow you to use the regular apple cable so you can have album art display
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Iphone %

To expand on this post. I just purchased a 2010 550gt. I went to the website to update the software and mine was also not upgradable per the vin #. My wife drives the car. She has an iphone 5. I have not been able to interface the Bluetooth, or download or play any songs off of the phone. I have tried to interface via of the usb port in the glove box and
also from the center glove box with no success. Any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
BT or hardwire should work. Can you pair your phone so the phone functions work via BT? There's a checkbox in that pairing screen you need to click on to also get music streaming if I remember correctly. The car can only pair with a few devices...they may not have cleared out the old ones, so look at the menu and delete any other BT devices, then repair yours and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: S430
THERE WAS A HARDWARE CHANGE Sept 2010 to a combox that allows software updates and bluetooth audio. If you don't have it you cannot do the things you are discussing. To retrofit the combox is about $1500. This retrofit is by a 3rd party not BMW.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325
CC, are you aware of where around Atlanta that I could get the combox changed out?
Also, is anyone aware of an Bluetooth app that might simulate the Bluetooth on the iphone 3 so that I might connect to the current combox or a way to back down the current Bluetooth sw to the old version., thxs.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
I've just figgured out how to play music over BT on my 2012 GT and I have to say I am not impressed. All you can do is skip forward and back on the current album. There is no search and no album art (but I don't really care about that...)

I do like how it works with the Apple cable over USB and I may invest in a phone cradle for the iPhone 5. But I would not spend $1,500 grand for a new combox just to play music.

What I would spend money for though is to get my e-mail and IMs on the dash display. This worked flawlessly over BT with my old BlackBerry Pearl. I've even toyed with going back to the BB just to get this to work!

FWIW
DLM
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
I can get the car to display my texts, even read them to me but can't get emails to work. Iphone 4s. latest iOS.