Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i MSport
Are you vinyl wrapping the diffuser, or sourced a CF one? I used 3m Ni doc -Black. You only need to order the 12' x 72" roll
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
I will be using 3M 1080 carbon fiber wrap to match the rest of the car. The problem is the max width is 5' so it is just a bit short. I wanted just a 1'x6' piece but that size is not made. I have to get a 5'x6' piece which is $100 more expensive. Since the piece I need is so much more expensive and most of that will just be waste, I have a company that will do it for about $125. Pretty much same cost. They have use for all the xtra not used, I don't. That is going to happen end of next week I hope. Got a Disney vacation beginning of next week, so all this stuff is moving molasses slow sadly. Need to have 100% done though by Bimmerfest on May 18th at the Rose Bowl.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Here are some pics of the tips black powder coated with diffuser done with carbon fiber.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Here are some pics of the tips black powder coated with diffuser done with carbon fiber.
Sweet!!! Have you done the paddle shifters and LED lights yet?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haastx10 View Post
Sweet!!! Have you done the paddle shifters and LED lights yet?
Paddle shifters still pending. 1st attempt failed. Trying to swap out my old steering for latest steering cluster now and waiting for that part. Should hopefully have some results in 2-3 weeks.

Not going to mess with the lights any more. I am content with my philips bulbs and there really does not seem to be any good other options out there at this point w/o wasting tons of time on that futile quest.

Going to add spacers on front and back and try the Burger N63 tune. My car still has 2 years of CPO so I don't want to void that with a Dinan flash.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Paddle shifters still pending. 1st attempt failed. Trying to swap out my old steering for latest steering cluster now and waiting for that part. Should hopefully have some results in 2-3 weeks.

Not going to mess with the lights any more. I am content with my philips bulbs and there really does not seem to be any good other options out there at this point w/o wasting tons of time on that futile quest.

Going to add spacers on front and back and try the Burger N63 tune. My car still has 2 years of CPO so I don't want to void that with a Dinan flash.
Have to agree with the lights thing... BimmerTech quoted me $7500 in parts alone...

My spacers are going on as we speak... Opted for 5mm front and 10mm rear... Waiting on hub extenders for front so wheels stay hub centric.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Have to agree with the lights thing... BimmerTech quoted me $7500 in parts alone...

My spacers are going on as we speak... Opted for 5mm front and 10mm rear... Waiting on hub extenders for front so wheels stay hub centric.
I just ordered 12mm rear and 10mm front along with the burger N63 tune today. Should have those done be weeks end I hope. Those are plug an play....paddles, not so much sadly.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Rajeek

Looks fantastic !!! Hope you had a great trip as well!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL 6 View Post
Rajeek

Looks fantastic !!! Hope you had a great trip as well!!!
Thanks. Trip was fun, but there is no relaxation in Disneyland!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
This is a close up of the 750... It actually took some "adjusting" of the muffler hanging bracket to get things to line up as well as some grinding off the back of the trim piece... you don't want the pipe split by the trim as the direct exhaust would be too much for the part, nor do you want the pipe touching as the vibration of metal on metal would be unpleasant to say the least.

Attachment 369557 Attachment 369558

The bracket was re-drilled to allow approximately 1 in of movement toward the centerline. Sorry don'y have pic of this.

A buddy of mine did the same thing last night. We widened the holes on the cross bracket an inch on both sides -We used a heavy duty tensioner (like you would se on an flat bed truck carrying cargo) put each end into the inner exhaust end and pull the pipes together with tension - then retightened the bolts in the cross bracket (while under tension of course)

Tips fit perfectly now. what you will find is, the slots that are on the quad tips had to be bent - before this mod....which pushes the sides of the fiberglas out ...resulting in a complete rig job, and the diffuser doesn't fit exact......make this mod...for everyone;s sake!!! this way the tips should slide right on and bolt perfectly without stressing the quarter panels and looks like they belong with our models and not a 760 il. I will post pics later....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	371313   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	371314  

Last edited by FULL 6; 04-13-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
A buddy of mine did the same thing last night. We widened the holes on the cross bracket an inch on both sides -We used a heavy duty tensioner (like you would se on an flat bed truck carrying cargo) put each end into the inner exhaust end and pull the pipes together with tension - then retightened the bolts in the cross bracket (while under tension of course)

Tips fit perfectly now. what you will find is, the slots that are on the quad tips had to be bent - before this mod....which pushes the sides of the fiberglas out ...resulting in a complete rig job, and the diffuser doesn't fit exact......make this mod...for everyone;s sake!!! this way the tips should slide right on and bolt perfectly without stressing the quarter panels and looks like they belong with our models and not a 760 il. I will post pics later....
Yes, please post pics of the cross brace and of the nut/bracket that holds the muffler up near the tips (I assume that needed to be redrilled also). Still have this on my list. Any other pics of the mod appreciated also.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM

just added pics....my knees and elbows haven't forgiven me yet!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
just added pics....my knees and elbows haven't forgiven me yet!!
Didn't you have to modify the muffler hanging bracket near the tips?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 PM

No mod there, But i took the bolt off the muffler brackets and unhooked both sides before tension

Last edited by FULL 6; 04-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
No mod there, But i took the bolt off the muffler brackets and unhooked both sides before tension
Cool. Thanks for putting up the pics also. You da man!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Didn't you have to modify the muffler hanging bracket near the tips?
I was initially looking at modifying the cross brace too, but decided against it as it would put considerable tension on the exhaust and I wasn't sure what effect this might have over time and during heavy throttle. We did loosen that brace as well as the connecting clamps and retightened after pushing the exhaust as close together as it would go with the original brace. The hanging bracket that was modified is at the back of the muffler supporting it with a rubber donut. That allowed only minor modification of the inside lower cutouts on the new tips so they wouldn't touch and lined up. I must say that the alignment in FULL 6's pictures looks perfect! Perhaps the ideal solution would be to slightly modify both pieces, keeping the tension low and alignment right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	371354 VS Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3823 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	371355

Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I was initially looking at modifying the cross brace too, but decided against it as it would put considerable tension on the exhaust and I wasn't sure what effect this might have over time and during heavy throttle. We did loosen that brace as well as the connecting clamps and retightened after pushing the exhaust as close together as it would go with the original brace. The hanging bracket that was modified is at the back of the muffler supporting it with a rubber donut. That allowed only minor modification of the inside lower cutouts on the new tips so they wouldn't touch and lined up. I must say that the alignment in FULL 6's pictures looks perfect! Perhaps the ideal solution would be to slightly modify both pieces, keeping the tension low and alignment right.

Attachment 371354 VS Attachment 371355
Agreed. Sounds like a slight mod of both brace and hanging bracket is the best way to go. Will give that a try later this week and get some pics up.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM

Just an update. Modded the support brace in between the pipes, but was not comfortable with the tension it created, so nixed that idea. Just went with drilling a new hole in the muffler hanging bracket to move the pipes over a bit. Worked a bit, but still a bit offset. Feel more comfortable with the mod this way though.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
Quote:
I will be using 3M 1080 carbon fiber wrap to match the rest of the car.
Question: Dont tips get hot and vinyl peel off? Maybe Hydrographics would be a better way to go.

()
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorek View Post
Question: Dont tips get hot and vinyl peel off? Maybe Hydrographics would be a better way to go.

()
Tips are powder coated. Diffuser which does not touch tips has carbon fiber wrap. No issues what so ever.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Nah.....Mine are fine and the CF is in good shape since the very first post. KISS approach is always worked for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
I guess since tips dont really touch the muffler pipe, I guess they dont get hot. I had bad experience with hot exhausts tips, rear bumpers and vinyl peeling from sun rays. Thats why the question. I guess time will tell. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:

SICK, SICK, SICK......BEAUTIFUL
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
SICK, SICK, SICK......BEAUTIFUL
Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Slower Traffic Move Right

Mein Auto: 2009 750i (F01)
Ran over a piece of tire tread on the freeway this weekend. I thought I saw it fly up behind me in my rear view. Turned out to be my stock diffuser!

Looks like I'll be doing the 760 tip mod much sooner than I thought.

FYI - Seems that the parts are about $100 cheaper at mybimmerparts.com than at the previously mentioned site. Anybody else find them cheaper?

Also, has anyone done the 760 chrome strip on the diffuser? I kind of like the idea, but have yet to see it in person. Any thoughts on this?