Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Oil Pan Removal on the 545

OK the newest oil leak on the 545i is the oil pan. Looks like there is a weld hair line crack where the oil plug screws into. Looks like it is best just to put a new pan in rather than remove and have welded.

Anyone remove the oil pan on the 545i. Looks straight forward I am just hoping that there is no motor mount removal or any subframe hardware. Should I just be able to remove the support pan to gain access and just unbolt the oil pan section.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/thumbs/r/p/128.png
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
OK the newest oil leak on the 545i is the oil pan. Looks like there is a weld hair line crack where the oil plug screws into. Looks like it is best just to put a new pan in rather than remove and have welded.

Anyone remove the oil pan on the 545i. Looks straight forward I am just hoping that there is no motor mount removal or any subframe hardware. Should I just be able to remove the support pan to gain access and just unbolt the oil pan section.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/thumbs/r/p/128.png
Sounds like the bolt was over-torqued causing the hairline crack.

I believe that the engine has to be lifted to remove/replace the pan. Big job.

Remember that oil leaks from above the pan will spread over the oil pan and collect near the drain plug so make sure it's not coming from areas above the pan.

The N62 is guaranteed to leak from key areas above the pan.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrumpy View Post
The N62 is guaranteed to leak from key areas above the pan.
This was a "feature" of the N62, it was designed to encourage people to get a 550 and then an F10 550

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I've seen pictures of this being done on a 7 series where they used an engine hoist to hold the engine (BMW has a special tool that mounts to the shock towers that does the same thing), then dropping all of the front suspension/cradle to get at the oil pan.

Doesn't sound like a fun one
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
If I was faced with this, and did not have the desire to pay to have the motor pulled, I would try to fill the crack with JB Weld. Let the flaming begin!
'03 allroad (for sale!)
'68 Deville Convertible
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacbart View Post
If I was faced with this, and did not have the desire to pay to have the motor pulled, I would try to fill the crack with JB Weld. Let the flaming begin!
No flaming, if you don't have the time/skill/money to do it properly this could be a quick, albeit temporary solution. Eventually it would need a more permanent remedy.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacbart View Post
Consider yourself flamed

OK - The results are in...

Easy.... The 545i oil pan is in different sections. 1 cast and 1 steel. The drain plug is in the steel section and can be removed by:

1. Put the front on jack stands
2. Remove both forward and rear carriage covers
3. Remove the reinforcement plate - Shiny metal plate that covers oil pan
4. Drain oil - duh
5. Disconnect the oil level sending connection

6. Remove the bolts and leave two in-place to catch the pan as it drops

7. That is it - This was well designed (except for my plug insert

Wow I have 182K miles and the inside of this pan was CLEAN!!. Wiped it out and it was shiny metal clean, wow.

I am having the plug thread insert rewelded. Guy has a nice mig and states it will be straight forward.

I'll post the outcome tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Cool, good deal, glad it worked out that easy (so far).

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi Wagon
I just had to pull the same "shiny metal plate that covers oil pan" and those six bolts were torqued really, really tight (had to use a cheater bar on my breaker bar to loosen them) ... I read a post somewhere that they need to be tightened back up really, really tight again (wonder why - is this plate adding rigidity to the frame? I thought it was just to protect the oil pan). Did you have a torque spec for those bolts when you put your reinforcement plate back on?

thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 545i B/B, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
Consider yourself flamed

OK - The results are in...

Easy.... The 545i oil pan is in different sections. 1 cast and 1 steel. The drain plug is in the steel section and can be removed by:

1. Put the front on jack stands
2. Remove both forward and rear carriage covers
3. Remove the reinforcement plate - Shiny metal plate that covers oil pan
4. Drain oil - duh
5. Disconnect the oil level sending connection

6. Remove the bolts and leave two in-place to catch the pan as it drops

7. That is it - This was well designed (except for my plug insert

Wow I have 182K miles and the inside of this pan was CLEAN!!. Wiped it out and it was shiny metal clean, wow.

I am having the plug thread insert rewelded. Guy has a nice mig and states it will be straight forward.

I'll post the outcome tomorrow.
I am going to do it next week and seams that the lower section of oil pan removal is not that deficult compared to upper one. I also noticed some oil around the drain plug but seams that the front part of pan's some gasket bolts are also wet. Was thinking to order new pan but decided not because hoping plug is not leaking but anyway what king of shop have I to look for to reweld the plug and put the plug thread insert you mentioned. How much it gonna cost compared to new pan.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
same thing here, oil gathering around the drain plug, replaced the bolt and copper gasket, will see how it goes..