Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi coupe
Just got my first BMW

Hi, I did my homework before buying and picked the 3 series over the Audi A5 even though I think the A5 is sexier looking. Picked BMW cuz I've read too many issues with the audi engines (a few co-worker who have audis told me to stay away too!).

I bought a used 2009 328xi with 20k miles, first used car I've purchased in 12 years but it was a great bang for the buck.

Anyway, I got one without the nav. unit because I planned on adding a tablet for my GPS & audio to what ever car I got.

I've been looking around this forum a lot and have a good idea of what it looks like behind the radio & heat control. My plan is to move the heat control to where the ashtray is. I wanted to have a pro. move the radio to the globe box but that might a lot of work? So, I was thinking of just removing it from the fixture and strapping it down inside the cubby hole so it does not rattle.

I would then create some sort of panel that I would strap my ipad3 to, or maybe I'll buy a nexus 7. Not sure if the ipad would look too big (is there such a thing!). Then I would somehow make it removable or tilt so I could still see the radio if I needed to. I would get power for the ipad from the power in the ash tray (I think there is one, can't remember) and run a cable to the console for the aux in.

I noticed there are 2 holes on the bottom of the center console, I think that is where the plastic radio housing bolts down. Maybe bold a door hinge to those 2 hole then the Ipad panel to the other end of the hinge so it tilts forward?

Just a thought, I'm actually picking the car up tomorrow.

This is a mock up of what I picture it looking like. I'm going to attach a pic. lets see if it works.

Thanks,

Mike
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM

I attached the pic. but don't see it, gonna try again.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 328i 2009
I got the same car i love it

nice by
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koptang View Post
Hi, I did my homework before buying and picked the 3 series over the Audi A5 even though I think the A5 is sexier looking. Picked BMW cuz I've read too many issues with the audi engines (a few co-worker who have audis told me to stay away too!).

I bought a used 2009 328xi with 20k miles, first used car I've purchased in 12 years but it was a great bang for the buck.

Anyway, I got one without the nav. unit because I planned on adding a tablet for my GPS & audio to what ever car I got.

I've been looking around this forum a lot and have a good idea of what it looks like behind the radio & heat control. My plan is to move the heat control to where the ashtray is. I wanted to have a pro. move the radio to the globe box but that might a lot of work? So, I was thinking of just removing it from the fixture and strapping it down inside the cubby hole so it does not rattle.

I would then create some sort of panel that I would strap my ipad3 to, or maybe I'll buy a nexus 7. Not sure if the ipad would look too big (is there such a thing!). Then I would somehow make it removable or tilt so I could still see the radio if I needed to. I would get power for the ipad from the power in the ash tray (I think there is one, can't remember) and run a cable to the console for the aux in.

I noticed there are 2 holes on the bottom of the center console, I think that is where the plastic radio housing bolts down. Maybe bold a door hinge to those 2 hole then the Ipad panel to the other end of the hinge so it tilts forward?

Just a thought, I'm actually picking the car up tomorrow.

This is a mock up of what I picture it looking like. I'm going to attach a pic. lets see if it works.

Thanks,

Mike
Congratulations, Mike and welcome to the BMW world and Bimmerfest community!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
You definately picked an interesting and unique project for your first modification. I hope you never plan to sell this car...Or if you do plan to sell someday, be prepared to reverse everything that you have done. Good Luck...please post pictures of finished product
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Thanks, well I figure if I move the heat controls to the ashtray it would be a minor thing because based on pics I've seen the ribbon cables are long enough, I would need to get a new center console but I'm sure I can find one on ebay or something. The radio, if I simply leave it inside the center dash cubby hole, then no mods need to be done to it. So I could put it back to stock fairly easily.

I'm still not seeing the attached pic. I've done it twice!