Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i
2011 M3 - End of Lease - Goodbye?

My '11 M3 E90 DCT was made in August of 2010, ED. Loved the ED. Love the car.
Last year, I went to Hawaii for a week (I live in Iowa). I actually felt kind of glad to be back home so I could drive my car again.

This is my third lease (330, 128, then the M3) and the first one I have really wanted to keep the car. Especially because I can't get another M3 sedan this summer.

But I want to consider the $ side of this. The residual is $35,505.60. I'm not sure how to figure out what the car will be worth in 5 months. Is that a good buy?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Don't know all of your options on the car but using a Des Moines zip code on Kelly Blue Book.com, adding Premium pkg., Tech pkg. and Nav I get a car in fair condition worth $39.6k in a private sale. One in Very Good condition is worth $44.6. I know KBB.com may be off but it gives a general idea so I'd say pay the $35k and buy the car. If you really want to keep it and are worried about costs, get a good extended warranty... At a minimum I would think you could buy it for the $35.5k residual and sell for something closer to $40k (or more) assuming the car is great shape.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I bought my 2008 M3 sedan at the end of the lease last June for a little over $31k. I thought long and hard about it and even extended my lease 2 months to buy more time to make a decision. I went through the pros and cons over and over. It was a good deal because the 2008s were selling privately in the range of $38 - 42k. Even now, they seem to be selling in the $36 - 40k range. But I also had to consider maintenance and repair costs. I looked at other BMWs and there just wasn't, and still isn't, any other car I desire. What it came down to for me was buying it or leasing a new M3 coupe since the sedan production was over.

I ultimately decided to buy my car because the lease rates weren't attractive on the M3's last year. My warranty ended on June 30th. So far I haven't had any problems requiring service. I did buy new cabin microfilters and a new air filter and installed them myself last month. That cost me $150 total. I have an oil service coming up and I am currently debating whether to do it myself or take it in. BMW charge is $263, which isn't all that bad considering the oil and filter would cost me $160 to do it myself.

You should look at what M3s with your miles and options are going for today. $35k has to be well below what they selling for in the private market. I believe they will hold their value very well until the new M3 sedans come out in 2014. Even then, they aren't going to drop drastically, particularly if your car is well maintained and mileage is reasonable. You still have a year and half of warranty and free maintenance so if there isn't anything else you are in love with, I would buy it. Especially if you haven't had any major issues with it and it is in good condition.

You can extend your lease with BMWFS up to 2 months at the current payment if you want more time to make a decision. The residual drops based on the extra payments so there isn't any negative impact to you. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
My '11 M3 E90 DCT was made in August of 2010, ED. Loved the ED. Love the car.
Last year, I went to Hawaii for a week (I live in Iowa). I actually felt kind of glad to be back home so I could drive my car again.

This is my third lease (330, 128, then the M3) and the first one I have really wanted to keep the car. Especially because I can't get another M3 sedan this summer.

But I want to consider the $ side of this. The residual is $35,505.60. I'm not sure how to figure out what the car will be worth in 5 months. Is that a good buy?

What do you guys think?
Yes it is- buy it.
2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Fire Orange BMW M3
Buy it at that price!

If you want some validation, check CarMax prices for a similar E90 2011 M3. Much higher than the $35,505.06.

Goot luck!

Current BMWs
2013 M3 Coupe, LRP Edition, Competition, Premium, 6MT, CF Roof
2014 428i Convertible, M Sport, Black Sapphire with Coral Red Dakota interior, Premium Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 M3 Coupe, Melbourne Red, Fox Red Interior, Premium, Technology, DCT
2006 530 XI
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: E93 M3
I concur... Buy it! $35k is a great price to buy your 2011 E90 M3 for, given the current rates. On top of that, you have clearly taken care of it and unlike buying a random used car, you know everything about the car's history!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 m3 conv
i am considering the same thing...i recently assumed a lease on 2011 conv...it has every option i think....price tag was 83k new...my thought process was there is only 10 months left on the lease so i have the car thru january basically spring summer and fall...the lease is a 30k lease...right now the car has 9k on clock...so i have 21k to use up between now and january...if i decide to keep it i would buy extended warranty and now own a low mileage 2011m3 conv..that i got to test drive over 10 months and have repaired and maintained for free..if i give it back no harm no foul...maybe before i give it back i post it for sale online for little more than normal mileage m3 are listed for since we will have no mileage on car...the added money over the buy out price will go towards my 10 months of payments..just my two cents...love the car
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnsxo1 View Post
i recently assumed a lease on 2011 conv...
Nice job. Where did you shop for the lease take over?

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43 View Post
I bought my 2008 M3 sedan at the end of the lease last June for a little over $31k. I thought long and hard about it and even extended my lease 2 months to buy more time to make a decision. I went through the pros and cons over and over. It was a good deal because the 2008s were selling privately in the range of $38 - 42k. Even now, they seem to be selling in the $36 - 40k range. But I also had to consider maintenance and repair costs. I looked at other BMWs and there just wasn't, and still isn't, any other car I desire. What it came down to for me was buying it or leasing a new M3 coupe since the sedan production was over.

I ultimately decided to buy my car because the lease rates weren't attractive on the M3's last year. My warranty ended on June 30th. So far I haven't had any problems requiring service. I did buy new cabin microfilters and a new air filter and installed them myself last month. That cost me $150 total. I have an oil service coming up and I am currently debating whether to do it myself or take it in. BMW charge is $263, which isn't all that bad considering the oil and filter would cost me $160 to do it myself.

You should look at what M3s with your miles and options are going for today. $35k has to be well below what they selling for in the private market. I believe they will hold their value very well until the new M3 sedans come out in 2014. Even then, they aren't going to drop drastically, particularly if your car is well maintained and mileage is reasonable. You still have a year and half of warranty and free maintenance so if there isn't anything else you are in love with, I would buy it. Especially if you haven't had any major issues with it and it is in good condition.

You can extend your lease with BMWFS up to 2 months at the current payment if you want more time to make a decision. The residual drops based on the extra payments so there isn't any negative impact to you. Good luck with your decision.
I called up BMW and they offered only one month extension. I havev,a 2010 e93 , with only 18k miles. My pay off i39k$ i am torn my self.
Re lease from BMW not giving good numbers;(