Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Bumper paint doesn't match

Hi All,

I'm a first time BMW owner (yippee) as of last month. I bought a blue water 2011 335i sedan with premium and convenience packages at what I thought was a good deal. But my thoughts recently changed. I noticed the rear bumper paint is ever so slightly ligher in color than the paint color on the body. I purchased this car in the evening, so I didn't notice this color variation. The lighter color has me abit concerned, although I might be worrying for nothing. Does anyone know how I might be able to verify to see if the bumper I have is a replacement to the original bumper? Thanks for any input.
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Paraglide! Walk on air!

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Pretty much any body shop will have a paint thickness gauge. Try to borrow one and compare the thickness of the paint on the bumper in question with the rest of the car, specifically the other bumper, as the paint on plastic or rubber parts may be different from metal surfaces. If the paint thickness is approximately the same, then it's original, but if it is drastically thicker, then you know it's not from the factory. Body shops usually lay it on pretty thick.

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust

Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your advice CarlsonTheFlyer. I should have figured out why I was getting a deal on the car. Shame on me! Advice to rookie used car shoppers out there - pay attention to color variation between the bumper and car body! It might be a sign of a hidden accident!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
... Or it could be the sign of an owner who had a bad scratch they wanted removed.

May be worth looking into, but if everything feels alright, maybe a certain amount of ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Paraglide! Walk on air!

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
... Or it could be the sign of an owner who had a bad scratch they wanted removed.

May be worth looking into, but if everything feels alright, maybe a certain amount of ignorance is bliss.
A very good point. A repainted bumper does not automatically mean the car was in a collision. It may have been just a scratch, who knows...

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust

Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks Boca and Carlson for telling me the "other side" of the story! It definitely helped me from going nuts! I think I read in another thread that east coast peeps will paint their bumpers more often than in other parts of the country. My car was from the east coast, sold in an auction and and sent to the west coast. I'm hoping that the repaint has to do with a superficial blemish.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Lets put it this way, my previous car had maybe less than 50% of its original paint because if it got a few too many paint chips, I'd get the whole panel repainted... It's entirely possible.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I get a bumper repainted with the slightest of damage - just can't stand looking at it, if it won't buff out I get it repainted!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
I got some nasty curb rash on my bumper when I first bought the car, had the bumper removed and repainted, then a couple months later I was in an accident where the front bumper sustained minor damage. Because it's all one assembly, there was no getting around replacing the entire bumper. Just make sure you research the vehicle's accident history/body shop repairs as much as possible or practical - some dealerships may give you previous owner contact information if you pester them.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
it will be ok, my opinon is dont look to closely at it or you might notice things you dont want to see
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I have had my front bumper, back bumper and drivers side door all repainted on the 3. None because of wrecks. Just minor rash and dings. Only because I am OCD. It is a disease.

Edit: And passenger side mirror on the 3. And the rocker panels and front bumper on the Z, as well as the drivers side door handle.

Last edited by LarkHouston; 03-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonTheFlyer View Post
Pretty much any body shop will have a paint thickness gauge. Try to borrow one and compare the thickness of the paint on the bumper in question with the rest of the car, specifically the other bumper, as the paint on plastic or rubber parts may be different from metal surfaces.
I think you were probably saying have them measure a bunch of spots as a favor, as I wouldn't let anyone that I didn't know quite well "borrow" one that could also measure on plastic. Mine can only measure on metal, and was a value buy at $250 (and it just goes up from there), but an ultrasonic PTG is well over a thousand bucks.

Quote:
If the paint thickness is approximately the same, then it's original, but if it is drastically thicker, then you know it's not from the factory. Body shops usually lay it on pretty thick.
I knew this was true for metal panels. I didn't know that this was also true for plastic panels, but I did always wonder in the back of my mind. I have an idea of general paint thicknesses on metal, but I have no idea what is standard on the other panels.

*A note for others is that just because the paint is super thick on a repaint doesn't mean that it isn't delicate; the clearcoat portion of the repaint could be almost nothing, and this is a reason why even pro detailers are sometimes loath to deal with repainted areas that measure extremely thickly.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I have had my front bumper repainted 2 times and my rear once