Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Curious- Start/Stop usage?

Hey guys, my 550 is at the dealership today, they were kind enough to loan me a brand new 328. This 3 has auto shutoff when coming to stop etc. my question is, is it possible to perform the same function manually in our E60 with the press of the start/stop button? Or will doing so often fry the starter?
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM
boramkiv's Avatar
boramkiv boramkiv is offline
Propellers Up Front
Location: Chesapeake, VA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,767
Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
They call it ASS over there on the F30 side, and its about 50/50 like hate. You wouldn't fry the starter, that's what it's designed to do. My wife is in Germany right now and she says a lot of cars have that feature or people do it themselves because petrol is so high. The street lights actually go from red to yellow then to green so you can startup before setting off. The ASS monitors quite a few things like battery voltage (1 of many) and will not auto shut off if below a certain voltage, so some of these things have to be monitored by you if you want to shut down yourself often.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Wow this is good to know. Yeah gas prices in Chicago have risen again, so was just curious about conserving fuel with the thirsty V8. I use to live in Berlin and remember the traffic light system. Love it there, great place!
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Gilgorm Gilgorm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 353
Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
The F10 has the ASS as well and the starter is set up to handle it. No one knows the long term effects. The main difference to ASS and doing it manually is what turns off when the engine shuts off.
With ASS the car still has heat/A/C, radio, and everything else continues to run, EXCEPT the engine turns off. The car also stays in Drive and restarts without moving to P or N.
As boramkiv mentioned, it won't function with low voltage and also won't work if the outside temp is low in winter or if MAX A/C is called for in the summer.
__________________
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
njlou njlou is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
ASS is correct!!!

It's great for a golf cart, but not when you have to pay BMW prices to fix it and other things.
If it's gas saving you want buy a Prius. BTW the govt wants us to ditch cars altogether.

I would rather destroy the planet and pay another $1 in gas. That along with all else will cost $1000 to fix. Everything on the BMW is $1000 (minimum).
Case in point: look at the efficient dynamics - battery/ electrical. It shuts off the alternator while driving and is very complex. It costs a fortune to replace a battery or the electronics. AND it has to be programmed. YES!!! Whopee do it saves 1mpg!!!

Next thing they will be putting 4cyl engines in a full size car.........oh I forgot - they do.

THEN the word will get out that these are problematic and values will drop like a rock. (even more than now).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
The best way to save fuel in a 550 is to sell it and get something else. Or you could use 87 instead of 91. haha. You will save like $1 a tank w/ ASS. I have it on my M3 and I I feel like a complete dumbass pulling up to a stoplight and having the car shut off to save .05. Permanently off and worthless feature.
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM
ArtchredTTU ArtchredTTU is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 550i
I agree wth MRV, this feature suck ASS and should not be on luxury vehicles. Its a wannabe hybrid. The Alternators WILL fail sooner than later, I can't imagine the long term affects on these car. But I know it will be major and like MRV said, if you want to save gas.... buy a prius, and let the rest of us enjoy these fun vehicles .


Everytime I am with my sister (she drives a F10) I tell her to turn off that feature. I like to scare her by saying that her engine with wear down in a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
The best way to save fuel in a 550 is to sell it and get something else. Or you could use 87 instead of 91. haha. You will save like $1 a tank w/ ASS. I have it on my M3 and I I feel like a complete dumbass pulling up to a stoplight and having the car shut off to save .05. Permanently off and worthless feature.
Bad idea.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM
pcy pcy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,292
Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
The amount of gas you save by turning off at each light all day will be roughly equivalent to the gas burned one time when you punch it (full throttle for few seconds).
That's further amplified for V8 car.

Last edited by pcy; 03-13-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
BlackBlade BlackBlade is offline
Registered User
Location: Jakarta
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: BMW E60 '06
Thats a cool feature to have, I wouldnt want one though, friggin hear is so bad here I would need the engine to be running to keep my a/c cold..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Listen- first off, my question was a technical one regarding the starter not an economical one. I own two air cooled 911's, one having carburetor's. trust me, gas is not a concern being the fact that I spend $120 on gas when I have a track day. Secondly I'm all for the bigger engine, bring on the v10 or 12.

And yes I'll agree, ASS sucks and personally would have that BS turned of if I had that option available in my car.

But oh wait a minute! I'll sell all my sports cars and buy a Prius to answers all of life's mysterious questions. Got a drug problem or sick because of some incurable disease? Buy a Prius!!
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eWERK-E60 View Post
Listen- first off, my question was a technical one regarding the starter not an economical one. I own two air cooled 911's, one having carburetor's. trust me, gas is not a concern being the fact that I spend $120 on gas when I have a track day. Secondly I'm all for the bigger engine, bring on the v10 or 12.

And yes I'll agree, ASS sucks and personally would have that BS turned of if I had that option available in my car.

But oh wait a minute! I'll sell all my sports cars and buy a Prius to answers all of life's mysterious questions. Got a drug problem or sick because of some incurable disease? Buy a Prius!!
I totally understand where your coming from. You were jus curious from a technical perspective. Most of us on here are, as you know, enthusiasts. I honestly hate where cars are going. But yeah dude when my 550i sport was in the shop, I got a 2012 535i sport with the stop start. It's annoying, but its effective. Personally anyone that can afford these cars shouldn't he concerned with saving pennies at the tank..

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
I totally understand where your coming from. You were jus curious from a technical perspective. Most of us on here are, as you know, enthusiasts. I honestly hate where cars are going. But yeah dude when my 550i sport was in the shop, I got a 2012 535i sport with the stop start. It's annoying, but its effective. Personally anyone that can afford these cars shouldn't he concerned with saving pennies at the tank..

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Yes exactly... Initially I was curious about the charging system in the F30 because of the ASS. And yeah, vehicles in America are loosing cylinders one at a time, engines keep getting smaller and turbos keep getting added to them in order to keep "Green America" happy.
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eWERK-E60 View Post
Yes exactly... Initially I was curious about the charging system in the F30 because of the ASS. And yeah, vehicles in America are loosing cylinders one at a time, engines keep getting smaller and turbos keep getting added to them in order to keep "Green America" happy.
Yeah agreed. I am not a fan of turbo motors at all for normal cars

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Ok From a technical perspective, the ASS systems have some things different than a non-ASS system(or so they say). The starter is supposed to be designed to handle the up to 10x the original use compared to a non-ASS car. Besides that, BMW does not employ a Top Dead Center Compression start so there is no real technology involved. The ASS equipped cars do monitor things like Ambient Temperature, batter voltage before the system engages. If it is too hot or too cold, if the battery is low, if the car is not up to operating temps, if the system was engaged and the drive did not exceed a 10-15mph (i believe) the ASS system will not engage. This is what I read and experienced in my car.
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Ok From a technical perspective, the ASS systems have some things different than a non-ASS system(or so they say). The starter is supposed to be designed to handle the up to 10x the original use compared to a non-ASS car. Besides that, BMW does not employ a Top Dead Center Compression start so there is no real technology involved. The ASS equipped cars do monitor things like Ambient Temperature, batter voltage before the system engages. If it is too hot or too cold, if the battery is low, if the car is not up to operating temps, if the system was engaged and the drive did not exceed a 10-15mph (i believe) the ASS system will not engage. This is what I read and experienced in my car.
Ah makes sense... So all in all, it's probably not wise to use the SS button in heavy traffic (constantly) with a non ASS vehicle, start up and charging issues will most likely incur.
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
I've been in cars that do this... But haven't driven one...

I believe I'll be driving the new 328i as a loaner soon (I've driven the new 328i already which was equipped with this feature, but it never went into this mode because the battery was undercharged) so I'll have some first-hand experience.
All in all, I don't mind it if it helps the environment. My understanding is that the engine to cars that have it are specifically designed to tolerate the wear and tear of starting and stopping repeatedly. But our engines, which don't have this, aren't designed for such conditions.

I imagine that if I owned a car that had this feature, I'd probably turn this feature off, but would turn it on if I knew I was going to be stopped at a traffic light for a longer period of time so the car could save fuel and be beneficial to the environment.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Mike_K Mike_K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
Technically you're wearing the starter motor more and for dubious results, not to mention the continued inconvenience of continually turning the engine off and on.

I don't understand people that buy a car that statistically consumes more gas and then try to cheap out with lower octane gas or engine tricks like this. I know you said you wouldn't do it but there are those that would and that makes zero sense to me. It's like buying a Veyron and then asking where the cheapest place to get tires is.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
Technically you're wearing the starter motor more and for dubious results, not to mention the continued inconvenience of continually turning the engine off and on.

I don't understand people that buy a car that statistically consumes more gas and then try to cheap out with lower octane gas or engine tricks like this. I know you said you wouldn't do it but there are those that would and that makes zero sense to me. It's like buying a Veyron and then asking where the cheapest place to get tires is.
It's not the case for us (unless someone is leasing a fairly old car)... As we're probably all owners. But there are many people who lease cars. And they don't know better or don't care.

The sad thing for those leased cars is that when they put regular gas into certain types of vehicles, they might potentially actually get 2-3% lower fuel economy than they would otherwise with premium, so in the end they're actually not netting any benefit whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
Technically you're wearing the starter motor more and for dubious results, not to mention the continued inconvenience of continually turning the engine off and on.

I don't understand people that buy a car that statistically consumes more gas and then try to cheap out with lower octane gas or engine tricks like this. I know you said you wouldn't do it but there are those that would and that makes zero sense to me. It's like buying a Veyron and then asking where the cheapest place to get tires is.
Mike, valid point. If one is driving a 4.4 or 4.8 gas shouldn't be a concern in today's world with gas prices so damn high. I was just trying to under stand the technical difference between my Start/Stop button and an ASS system; if it was the same, similar or completely different.
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
It's not the case for us (unless someone is leasing a fairly old car)... As we're probably all owners. But there are many people who lease cars. And they don't know better or don't care.

The sad thing for those leased cars is that when they put regular gas into certain types of vehicles, they might potentially actually get 2-3% lower fuel economy than they would otherwise with premium, so in the end they're actually not netting any benefit whatsoever.
Like in anything purchasable in life, you get what you pay for.

High quality gasoline- Shell V-power 93 octane
High quality oil- Mobil 1, Royal Purple etc.
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM
KLR4LIFE KLR4LIFE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Queens, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 622
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
The new M5 has the ASS button and the person who has an M5 and uses it should feel like an ASS for pressing it. I know we all need to save the earth but dont put some BS in our cars and call it ASS for gods sake LOL.
__________________

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM
CRUECK CRUECK is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2010 535i xDrive
My 535 has been in the shop the last 3 days and I've been driving around a new 328 with the ASS feature and its awful. Does anyone know if they also put this in the system in the 335? I can't imagine all the start ups / shut downs are good for carbon buildup. Personally, I would not purchase another BMW if my only option was to get one with the ASS feature. Every time I start it up its another button that needs to be pressed to shut it off. Seems like a pointless hassle that would be hard on the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
njlou njlou is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
All valid points. Remember that all these eco systems are not for the consumer, but rather as a sleigh of hand calculation for the manufacturers.
IF they get an additional contrived 0.5MPG they are able to multiply it across the entire fleet to make the EPA happy. They not only dont care about maintenance, but actually make a ton of extra money on the repairs.
THEN they advertise how "green" they are and how the planet will NOW be saved!!!
Looks like all these systems place an enormous load on the $$$$battery.
IF batteries were (ordinarily) priced it may not matter but the BMW battery is a real kick to the gut.

It's like the twin turbo/direct injection engines. They are cute at first, but a bear to maintain at reasonable cost.

THUS the lease!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
ArtchredTTU ArtchredTTU is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE View Post
The new M5 has the ASS button and the person who has an M5 and uses it should feel like an ASS for pressing it. I know we all need to save the earth but dont put some BS in our cars and call it ASS for gods sake LOL.
well said
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms