Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Talk is Cheap...

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci Convertible
Unhappy I reversed into a wall!

Hi all,

I can't believe what happened today, I hate myself!!!

Since I've purchased my 6 series, without realising I've become increasingly reliant on the parking sensors and the iDrive sensor diagram.

I have a specific parking spot away from all the other cars at my local supermarket, I always back up so my rear bumper is close to the wall. This wall is very short, it is covered by the rear tailgate.

Today I did what I do normally I reversed the car slowly waiting for the sensors to beep. The beep was very slow and the diagram was showing the wall was still really far. All of a sudden the car just hit the wall! That is when the sensors decided to beep constantly and the diagram decided to skip to the red zone! I'm guessing the iDrive froze for a moment which I thought was the actual distance from the wall when it clearly wasn't!

Does this malfunction happen frequently on these cars?

I am sooo gutted I can't believe what I have done! I will obviously be more vigilant next time.

The bumper has loads of scratches/scuffs on the area where the bumper made contact with the brick wall. It has also left the bumper slightly 'ripply' in the area and has pressed in the edge of the bit that is above the number plate area.

I will upload a photo when I can bare going to look at it again and taking a pic.

I wonder if most of the damage will polish out or do you think its best to carry out a full bumper respray?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Ouch, I feel for you! I don't rely completely on the sensors, but I could see in this situation where it would lull you into a situation. But I cannot recall a glitch in the PDC system to that extent.

I use a trick that has served me very well over the years with scratches and scuffs. Take some toothpaste, put it on a damp wash cloth or microfiber towel. Rub the scuff/scratch in the direction of the scrape. Many times it has pulled out the majority of the paint that is transferred and the occlusion is cannot be discerned. If they are too deep you have no choice, respray and/or replace.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
I've noticed that now and then the sonar system does seem a bit slow to begin the alert sound, usually when something is at a bit of an angle to my rear bumper. Suddenly it'll just start going crazy as I get really close to it. Not sure what to do tell you about the rippling of the bumper, but I've had some pretty serious looking scratches on bumpers in the past and they've buffed right out. If the scratches are wide you won't be able to buff them out though. Removal, sanding, repair, and re-spray in the states is about 650 or less. Not the biggest deal. Happens to alot of people.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Sorry to hear about the hit. I've never experienced any issues with delay or inaccuracy myself.

Check the rear wheel well where the bumper and the metal body panel meet. If things are not perfectly lined up there then you may need new rear bumper shocks, which are not cheap. You are looking for an even half-moon shape with no protrusion of the lower bumper towards the rear wheel.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Sad to hear that happen to the 6

BUT

It's time for M6 bumper !!!

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
I remember when I had mine, reversing into a car space at an NCP car park, reversing towards what was an Armco barrier, the little lights and tone bleeping away when Thud !!!! WTF I was away from the barrier so I thought, but a bolt was protruding from the barrier and went into the bumper, it left a very deep and perfect impression of the bolt head AAAARGH !!! They are not small bolts !!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 03-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully, the repairs won't be too high.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The PDC does make you a little to comfortable at times! This is just bad luck & sucks!

Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Sucks! Worst sound ever is one backing up into a wall!

It's like crunch... Then, Oh f...! Next comes embarrassment. Followed by brief remorse. And finally anger. Kicking the wall helps, yelling always encouraged. It helps to take your anger out on random, innocent people though. Start with writing a letter to the jerk who put the wall there, curse a lot in the letter!

Joking... but I know the feeling with PDC. Rely on it mostly for predestrains now, hope mine never fails or that's a lawsuit! haha. It's annoying sometimes when trying to parallel park, I just eye that sucker up and slam it in there. The front and back PDC is really a great system, but agree it might give off a false sence of security.

But like rey said, no better time for the M6 bumper upgrade now! Get some before and after pics up if you can.

Last edited by GetMeABeer; 03-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

On my 06 530i I found out the hard way that PDC doesn't work on Chain Link fences

Go for a drive. You can't see it from the driver's seat.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassann View Post
Hi all,

I can't believe what happened today, I hate myself!!!

Since I've purchased my 6 series, without realising I've become increasingly reliant on the parking sensors and the iDrive sensor diagram.
This is the draw back of the ever reliance on technology. I tend to look back anytime i'm reversing. My wife's truck has the blind spot sensors and she still shakes her head at me when I check my blind spots before making lane changes. Call me old fashion but I never leave the basics.
Sorry about your damage Hassann but it seems you may have to do a bit of body work to bring it back tip top.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Talk is Cheap...

Thank you all for your really kind words, it is warming to see the sheer amount members who care about other member's mishaps - I really appreciate it!

I will take on board all of the advice I have received above and it's interesting to hear other member's experiences also!

As promised, I have taken some photos of the damage from various angles and distances so I can get accurate opinions on what course of action I should take - A apologise for the amount of photos attached!

I will be taking photos of the inside of the wheel wells where the rear bumper meets the bodywork so you can identify if there is any damage (thanks Yorgi for bringing this up!)

Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
So based on the pictures, I believe you will need some of those scratches filled, sanded and repainted. Some are deep grooves in the platic itself. I had a rock ding on my front bumper and it could not be buffed but the bumber removed and repaired. Plus it was good to do it over to remove the little road rashes.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
If you can park in a garage or off road, remove the rear bumper, very easy to do, two man job because of size, Yorgi has a thread or comment on how to do this! take the bumper to a body shop it will be done in a day! fit it yourself and save a goodly few pounds, but you will get a good repair.
I did my own repair with paint purchased from a supplier to the auto-industry, got an exact match in colour but could not get the fleck correct, so ended up taking it to a paint sprayer.
You won't have anymore damage than you can see.
Ps if you take the bumper off change the bulbs for new, as believe it or not the bumper has to come off to change the bulbs if they fail!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645cic '00 740i Sport
A little bit of lipstick and mascara and she'll be good as new. I guess that's why they call them bumpers I've done the same thing but got off lucky on the paint but see a slight depression where the impact occurred. When the temps warm up a bit I'll be taking my bumper off to see if a heat gun can reshape the slight depression back to norm.

Last edited by slemmer; 03-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Sorry to hear about your misshap - I tapped my wife's bumper due to what seemed to be a slight lag in the PDC (or I might have been backing up a little quick Something that can easily happen given that we get used to the technology.

Separately, I took a shot at high speed on the highway to my front bumper, and left a deep dent crease about 4 inches long and about 3/4 of an inch deep. Fortunately it didn't break or rip. I was able to remove the front bumper based on the instructions from 30yrVet, take a blow dryer with high heat, and push it out almost perfectly smooth from the back. A little touch-up paint in the old crease line and I was good as new.

Good luck with the repairs.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Talk is Cheap...

Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I took the car to a body shop I know very well.

We polished and buffed the bumper down using some Farecla polish. Then we mixed some paint (BMW gave me the code A08) and touched up the major defects and then dried it off using those mobile heater things.

It has improved the defects a lot!

Photos are below:

BEFORE:

AFTER: