Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
KONI FSD vs. Dinan Suspension System Stage 1

I have a 2011 E92 xDrive, and while the suspension is better than in the pre-LCI coupes, I'd still prefer a softer ride, especially over potholes. I've been looking at the KONI FSD kit (2100 4123), which I can now get for xDrive. In trying to find a place to install it, Bavarian Performance Group in Winchester, MA said they could do it, but is pitching the Dinan Stage 1 Suspension System instead (D190-9041K: which also includes KONI shocks (yellow adjustable, rather than FSD)).

Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp) in its comparison says, "The user-adjustable design of the KONI Sport dampers does allow for fine tuning the ride or handling to your specific preference, and also provides some suspension tuning flexibility for the weekend autocross or track day event. But if you are not going to the track regularly, the KONI FSD dampers may just provide the improvement to road handling you want while also smoothing out many of those bumps along the way." Consequently, they're voting for the KONI FSDs for what I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other data or tests or actual experience that would confirm or deny this recommendation.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
I have a 2011 E92 xDrive, and while the suspension is better than in the pre-LCI coupes, I'd still prefer a softer ride, especially over potholes. I've been looking at the KONI FSD kit (2100 4123), which I can now get for xDrive. In trying to find a place to install it, Bavarian Performance Group in Winchester, MA said they could do it, but is pitching the Dinan Stage 1 Suspension System instead (D190-9041K: which also includes KONI shocks (yellow adjustable, rather than FSD)).

Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp) in its comparison says, "The user-adjustable design of the KONI Sport dampers does allow for fine tuning the ride or handling to your specific preference, and also provides some suspension tuning flexibility for the weekend autocross or track day event. But if you are not going to the track regularly, the KONI FSD dampers may just provide the improvement to road handling you want while also smoothing out many of those bumps along the way." Consequently, they're voting for the KONI FSDs for what I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other data or tests or actual experience that would confirm or deny this recommendation.
The Koni sport dampers are very good and are indeed adjustable but they are not cockpit adjustable so it is unlikely that they will be adjusted very often once they are set.

The FSDs are in a sense "self adjusting" and will minimize "Pothole Explosions" yet the car will still have minimum body roll and handling will not be compromised. If you are primarily using the car on public roads I would go with the FSDs. IMO they are a huge improvement over the OEM dampers.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

FSD's can't be beat for price/performance. I have Yellows and zero pothole explosions too, but you wouldn't like the cost of my build, a purpose-built affair.

Have heard of nothing better for daily driving....there are some negative reports, maybe 5% of what you can Google. Price is a crowd pleaser!

Note: If your shops pitchin' Dinan, they're being paid more than they'd see from FSD's. Dinan's known to be at the high end of price; not at the high end of performance. Def not low end either, up t'you. I wouldn't.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The Koni sport dampers are very good and are indeed adjustable but they are not cockpit adjustable so it is unlikely that they will be adjusted very often once they are set.

The FSDs are in a sense "self adjusting" and will minimize "Pothole Explosions" yet the car will still have minimum body roll and handling will not be compromised. If you are primarily using the car on public roads I would go with the FSDs. IMO they are a huge improvement over the OEM dampers.

CA
+1. What CA said.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I'll elaborate a bit. Shocks like Koni Sports that are adjustable are great for track use where you will be setting them up for a very predictable environment. Adjusting them is not rocket science but it is not a trivial task as they have to be adjusted individually from outside the car using a wrench. Even if they could be adjusted from inside the car (and there are shocks available that you can adjust from inside the car by pushing a button) that does not completely solve the issue of ride vs. handling in the unpredictable environment of public roads.

As an example I frequently drive from my home in Manhattan to the northwest corner of Connecticut. The first and last portions of that ride are very different environments. If I had adjustable shocks I would want them adjusted much softer for the first part of the trip on the war ravaged roads of NYC than I would for the portion of the trip where I am driving on relatively pristine New England back roads. I am certainly not going to want to pull over at some point and crawl under the car to adjust the shocks. Even if I did there is always the possibility that while the car is on a harder setting I will encounter some unforeseen imperfection in the road such as a pot hole, frost heave or construction plate.

What I really want is a dynamic suspension that is adjustable from inside the car, similar to the system that is available on some BMW models (including the F30) and on other makes including Cadillac and Jaguar. These suspensions, although they can be adjusted for firmness from inside the cockpit, have sensors that monitor suspension travel hundreds of times per second and can electronically adjust damping on the fly virtually instantly. The FSDs act similarly although they are totally mechanical and there are no sensors, computers, or electronic adjustments. Koni FSDs (which stands for Frequency Selective Damper) use two oil paths and will apply different damping rates to react to body lean and sharp impacts. They are very effective and extremely cost effective and are a great aftermarket solution for a car that does not have a dynamically adjustable suspension.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Thanks very much for the informed comments. KONI FSDs it is.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Boom335

Mein Auto: 335i XDrive
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
FSD's can't be beat for price/performance. I have Yellows and zero pothole explosions too, but you wouldn't like the cost of my build, a purpose-built affair.

Have heard of nothing better for daily driving....there are some negative reports, maybe 5% of what you can Google. Price is a crowd pleaser!

Note: If your shops pitchin' Dinan, they're being paid more than they'd see from FSD's. Dinan's known to be at the high end of price; not at the high end of performance. Def not low end either, up t'you. I wouldn't.

Sorry, if i'm beating the deadhorse.. but i'm in the same boat here..

2009 335i XDrive & I've had enough of those jarring pothole experiences. Infact at a stage where now upon changing tires, i'm required to repair/replace my wheels(rims) due to the damage from the potholes..

So, upon doing a ton reading about improving ride comfort & also about pothole explosions, I've decided to upgrade my shocks along with the change of rims/wheels..

So, here's my setup:

2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Sedan

17" Michelin runflats (I will get rid of the runflats later but not now.)

If i'm trying to improve my ride (comfort), am I good with "get Koni FSDs installed" & call it a day? Or should I get my struts/springs replaced? (Eibach pro-kit)? (newbie to suspensions)..

Anything else, I should absolutely do?

My goal is to 1. Improve Ride comfort for daily driving 2. Reduce the potential for pothole explosion/bent rim
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Dinan....blah, blah, blah......

Click image for larger version

Name:	OMG [01].jpg
Views:	13
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	430927

Yup yellows are adjustable. Nope you won't be adjusting 'em. Take it from me, who's got 'em, you won't do it. Rears especially.

Dinan is the top dollar, yet not top performance, choice. Those in the know stay away....your mech loves Dinan 'cause profit's fatter. Yes.

Looking for comfort, hard to beat FSD's. Ask around.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom335 View Post
Sorry, if i'm beating the deadhorse.. but i'm in the same boat here..

2009 335i XDrive & I've had enough of those jarring pothole experiences. Infact at a stage where now upon changing tires, i'm required to repair/replace my wheels(rims) due to the damage from the potholes..

So, upon doing a ton reading about improving ride comfort & also about pothole explosions, I've decided to upgrade my shocks along with the change of rims/wheels..

So, here's my setup:

2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Sedan

17" Michelin runflats (I will get rid of the runflats later but not now.)

If i'm trying to improve my ride (comfort), am I good with "get Koni FSDs installed" & call it a day? Or should I get my struts/springs replaced? (Eibach pro-kit)? (newbie to suspensions)..

Anything else, I should absolutely do?

My goal is to 1. Improve Ride comfort for daily driving 2. Reduce the potential for pothole explosion/bent rim

Do this one weird trick: Install FSD's. Your life improves!

If you like that, ditch RFT's for Michelin PSS - you'll thank yourself for that!

Now, I have no experience with xi, but the rear likely feels as disconnected as other 3's, a function of open differential, wimped subframe bushings, and spaghetti-like sway. You wouldn't want a thicker sway w/o LSD.....but have not heard of these mods for xi.

Whoa! Ol' Waterboy too sleepy to Google....let us know if you run across....

Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Do this one weird trick: Install FSD's. Your life improves!
Snip...
Do the FSDs fit the xi? Koni specifies the Sport (Yellow) shock for the xi in their fitment guide.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Boom335

Mein Auto: 335i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Do the FSDs fit the xi? Koni specifies the Sport (Yellow) shock for the xi in their fitment guide.
I had the same question yesterday, but seems like they do now. Not sure why still Koni specifies the yellow shock but based on reading through this forum & E90post, I now believe they do. (i believe from mid 2013)
Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom335 View Post
I had the same question yesterday, but seems like they do now. Not sure why still Koni specifies the yellow shock but based on reading through this forum & E90post, I now believe they do. (i believe from mid 2013)
If the FSDs fit, that is great news. I am completely satisfied with FSDs on my d (with Sport package).
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
The Koni's are on sale for 25% off through May 31st.