Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Xdrive T
new to BMW.. Gong sound driving me CRAZY!

Just bought my first BMW, (coming from Audi). A CPO 2009 E91 auto. All is great, a couple of minor comparisons to the Audi, (A4 Avant, A6 sedan, now, (still), an A4 sedan), won't bore you with them now..

Car seems ok, so far, all is well...

Except!!........

The GONG!!

Holy Moley! When I open the car door the symphony Gong starts in, quick... get the the key in , the seatbelt in, the icey temp (slightly different tone? I live in Maine, it sounds every time I get in the car), it sounds again when I put my laptop bag on the passenger seat, (thinks someone is sitting there and not doing up their belt?!)

This Symphony is SOO LOUD the neighbors can hear it!!!

What to do! How to turn off, down, pull fuses? Cut wires??, this is nuts!

Please help!!
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
We had an 07 E91; not sure it ever bothered me?

Yes you will get a gong below 37 degrees. Every time. Options are sell the car or wait till spring.

I think just about any car will sense a weight in the front seat; not sure that is unique to BMW.

If you look in the glovebox, you will find a fuse placard and the fusebox. I suppose you could locate the door chime fuse and pulll it, is about the only thing i can think of.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Ok, I'll wait till spring!!

Ok I will look for the fuse box... But no way to turn it down? Kripey! It plays through all 10 speakers!

Am I the only one?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Get the car coded and be done with it, seatbelt , weather, key in ignition door open all of them sounds gone.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 View Post
Get the car coded and be done with it, seatbelt , weather, key in ignition door open all of them sounds gone.
Pardon my ignorance... But "coded"? What is this? And where can I, how do I do it?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
The below 37 degrees "gong" is a different key from the seatbelt "gong". It should sound like it's singing to you. Just listen and enjoy.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
The below 37 degrees "gong" is a different key from the seatbelt "gong". It should sound like it's singing to you. Just listen and enjoy.
No I got that.. The regular gong goes up an octave for a 'its cold outside' chime, and then back to the, 'yup the neighbors are looking out their windows' chime over the whole stereo system...

Wait till the summer when the windows are down!

Last edited by Beauly; 03-07-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added one piece...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Obviously the OP had never seen the BMW propaganda . . . I mean documentary film "BMW A Driving Obsession" that explains the great care and planning that BMW goes to in order to make those sounds as annoying as possible.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauly View Post
Just bought my first BMW, (coming from Audi). A CPO 2009 E91 auto. All is great, a couple of minor comparisons to the Audi, (A4 Avant, A6 sedan, now, (still), an A4 sedan), won't bore you with them now..

Car seems ok, so far, all is well...

Except!!........

The GONG!!

Holy Moley! When I open the car door the symphony Gong starts in, quick... get the the key in , the seatbelt in, the icey temp (slightly different tone? I live in Maine, it sounds every time I get in the car), it sounds again when I put my laptop bag on the passenger seat, (thinks someone is sitting there and not doing up their belt?!)

What to do! How to turn off, down, pull fuses? Cut wires??, this is nuts!

Please help!!
You own a BMW now, it is important to constantly remind your neighbors that you have moved up from an Audi. Most of us rig our 'gong' so that it never goes off, and then we roll our windows down whenever possible to attract attention. It is music to our ears.
I can understand why you would not be familiar with this feature.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 PM

BMW hearing devices?

Do you all have BMW Blue tooth hearing devices that cancel out the symphony gong? Are they available from the dealer?

Last edited by Beauly; 03-07-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance... But "coded"? What is this? And where can I, how do I do it?
Coding is basically "unlocking" or in your case "removing" some things BMW didn't want or obligate you to have and this is via programming to the car. Search the coding forum as there several options, you can by the cable needed on eBay and follow instructions with your lap top and do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. I know someone that does it remotely if needed PM me do info.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335ic
you can turn it down
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
I made the gong the tone when I get a text message... Then again, the 06 models had a cacophonous tone that makes the gong sound pleasing.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i sport wagon
The Gong...

Quote:

The GONG!!

Aloha Beauly,

I hear your pain 7000 miles away. Oh wait, that's the gong from my 2009 E91.

For the record, I tried the procedure in the manual to reduce the volume from the radio with no luck. I don't have iDrive on my E91 so the only adjustment is from an option in the radio. Changing the gong volume setting in the radio from the lowest to the loudest setting produced the same result, a very loud gong. A friend of mine who has a 2009 E91 with iDrive can adjust his gong volume...

If you figure out how to lower the gong sound, I would be greatly interested in the procedures. I'm not apposed to the gong sound, just prefer it to be less audible. So cutting wires, pulling fuses or coding it off is not the solution I would be looking for. I would like to have the sound reduced to a slightly audible sound, as I believe there is a useful purpose for the warning. Especially the icy temperature warning, never know when I might hit a patch of black ice here in Hawaii... OK maybe if I travel up to the 14,000 ft elevation on Mauna Kea...

Sending you warm gongs sounds from Hawaii!

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 AM

Ah ha... Now we are getting somewhere... I have the same car but for the color, (space grey in my case) no idrive, etc. I will try, (why not?) to see if I can turn down the symphony gong volume, however, it may not make a difference.

So I will try that, not sure I want to go as far as the coding part, but will try and learn about what that is etc.

Anyone else have any experience?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
i wish i had a gong sound whenever i opened my door, but all i have is that c-chord chime
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
If you have ever ridden in or driven a Ford recently you would quickly realize that the sounds a BMW makes are Mozart by comparison.
Seriously I got a ride home from a Mazda dealer once in a Ford Flex and the turn-signal noise (I hesitate to call it a 'sound') was so annoying it made me want to get out and walk the 4 miles in the 115 degree Phoenix heat.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophale View Post
Aloha Beauly,

I hear your pain 7000 miles away. Oh wait, that's the gong from my 2009 E91.

For the record, I tried the procedure in the manual to reduce the volume from the radio with no luck. I don't have iDrive on my E91 so the only adjustment is from an option in the radio. Changing the gong volume setting in the radio from the lowest to the loudest setting produced the same result, a very loud gong. A friend of mine who has a 2009 E91 with iDrive can adjust his gong volume...

If you figure out how to lower the gong sound, I would be greatly interested in the procedures. I'm not apposed to the gong sound, just prefer it to be less audible. So cutting wires, pulling fuses or coding it off is not the solution I would be looking for. I would like to have the sound reduced to a slightly audible sound, as I believe there is a useful purpose for the warning. Especially the icy temperature warning, never know when I might hit a patch of black ice here in Hawaii... OK maybe if I travel up to the 14,000 ft elevation on Mauna Kea...

Sending you warm gongs sounds from Hawaii!
Wow, trouble in Paradise, eh?

Sending you snarky greetings from frozen NH where we are having a blizzard and only my customers with 4WD have shown up today.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Symphony Chime, Chord etc

Yes, yes, I think we are all talking about the same sound. It is in fact more of a 'chime' than a gong, certainly a 'chord' even, and the 'chord, goes up an octave, or perhaps a 'fifth' for the "its cold outside alert". So I think we are all straight in this regard.

The issue is still (at the very least) the volume. I can accept the actual sound, I suppose, compared to other cars, and even compared to our Audi, which, by the way, has failed. Yes the Audi door open, lights left on, seatbelt not fastened, audible gong, chime whatever, failed about a year ago in our 2005 A4 3.2. This was the best thing to fail on our Audi yet! Haven't missed it one bit!

So anyway, back to the chord chime (Gong)! If anyone has the trick to turn it down, I would love to hear thoughts.

And thanks to all of you who have checked in from New Hampshire to Hawaii!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Wow, trouble in Paradise, eh?

Sending you snarky greetings from frozen NH where we are having a blizzard and only my customers with 4WD have shown up today.
Frozen snarky greetings from NH are warmly accepted with aloha! Grew up on Long Island, NY, went to College in Syracuse, NY, migrated west ever since, but still like the cold only when I can see it from a distance. In the winter months I can see the snow on top of Mauna Kea from my home, located in Puuanahulu, Hawaii at the 2500 ft elevation, with year round climate of high 40's low 50's at night and mid 70's during the day. It is perfect. Yes, I enjoy rubbing it in whenever I get a chance.

However, I really like New England, my brother lives in Bow, NH. I have friends in Maine and Vermont. Good friend of mine teaches at the Cardigan Mountain School in NH, but lives in Hawaii when he is off. So I visit occasionally, in the temperate months, and always enjoyed the outdoor activities (hiking, backpacking...) New England has to offer.

Sorry for the post that has nothing to do with the gong... Back to the regularly schedule loud gong experience and the search for the secret volume adjustment knob!

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
hey guys i get this weird sound whenever i get out of my car anyone know whats wrong.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Frozen snarky greetings from NH are warmly accepted with aloha! Grew up on Long Island, NY, went to College in Syracuse, NY, migrated west ever since, but still like the cold only when I can see it from a distance. In the winter months I can see the snow on top of Mauna Kea from my home, located in Puuanahulu, Hawaii at the 2500 ft elevation, with year round climate of high 40's low 50's at night and mid 70's during the day. It is perfect. Yes, I enjoy rubbing it in whenever I get a chance.

However, I really like New England, my brother lives in Bow, NH. I have friends in Maine and Vermont. Good friend of mine teaches at the Cardigan Mountain School in NH, but lives in Hawaii when he is off. So I visit occasionally, in the temperate months, and always enjoyed the outdoor activities (hiking, backpacking...) New England has to offer.

Sorry for the post that has nothing to do with the gong... Back to the regularly schedule loud gong experience and the search for the secret volume adjustment knob!
Wow! Great looking house. Oh to build a house where frost does not get 6 feet into the ground!

Meanwhile I am terrified of running the E91 (lower than our A4 3.2) into the many enormous potholes that are appearing in the already horrendous roads up here in (midcoast) Maine.

Heading up to Sugarloaf for a weekend of skiing this afternoon, may try and search for the chime Chord volume switch....on the way up there...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Obviously the OP had never seen the BMW propaganda . . . I mean documentary film "BMW A Driving Obsession" that explains the great care and planning that BMW goes to in order to make those sounds as annoying as possible.

CA
"BMW A Driving Obsession"

Fast forward to 20:55

"How BMW single minded approach about the gong sound was all in an effort so we the customer would love their car"

I'm not feeling the love... as my wife stares at me with that look (you know the one) and asks your the smart engineer that wanted this expensive car, is there a way to turn down the volume of the gong?

Last edited by ophale; 03-08-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
If you have ever ridden in or driven a Ford recently you would quickly realize that the sounds a BMW makes are Mozart by comparison.
Seriously I got a ride home from a Mazda dealer once in a Ford Flex and the turn-signal noise (I hesitate to call it a 'sound') was so annoying it made me want to get out and walk the 4 miles in the 115 degree Phoenix heat.

Just came from a Ford Fusion....you get used to it. It did bother me immensely at first.

Quote:
"BMW A Driving Obsession"

Fast forward to 20:55

"How BMW single minded approach about the gong sound was all in an effort so we the customer would love their car"

I'm not feeling the love... as my wife stares at me with that look (you know the one) and asks your the smart engineer that wanted this expensive car, is there a way to turn down the volume of the gong?

I'm stunned but I suppose I'm not surprised at the same time....

Quote:
Yes, yes, I think we are all talking about the same sound. It is in fact more of a 'chime' than a gong, certainly a 'chord' even, and the 'chord, goes up an octave, or perhaps a 'fifth' for the "its cold outside alert". So I think we are all straight in this regard.

The issue is still (at the very least) the volume. I can accept the actual sound, I suppose, compared to other cars, and even compared to our Audi, which, by the way, has failed. Yes the Audi door open, lights left on, seatbelt not fastened, audible gong, chime whatever, failed about a year ago in our 2005 A4 3.2. This was the best thing to fail on our Audi yet! Haven't missed it one bit!

So anyway, back to the chord chime (Gong)! If anyone has the trick to turn it down, I would love to hear thoughts.

And thanks to all of you who have checked in from New Hampshire to Hawaii!

You can turn it down, as a few have mentioned, from the head unit. I know how to do it in iDrive but if you don't have it I don't know how to do it - try a Google search.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
You can turn it down, as a few have mentioned, from the head unit. I know how to do it in iDrive but if you don't have it I don't know how to do it - try a Google search.
Aloha Last Sight,

That is the crux of the issue, yes there is a control to adjust the volume of the gong in the head unit, it does nothing. Set it to the lowest volume setting or the highest volume setting, you get the same result, a very loud gong. iDrive works, friend has e91 2009 and was able to adjust the gong sound volume. The dealer tried adjusting it too, but then came back with the "it is a safety feature that is regulated and needs to be that loud..." so I guess they tried the same thing I did with no change in volume.

So, some of us are looking for a solution, a reset, coding... to adjust the sound level. I've tried adjusting the sound level of the stereo to lowest level then adjusted the gong level in hopes it was a multiple of the stereo sound system, no luck... I also tried adjusting the speed volume control system in the same way... no luck.

I believe there is a trick to this, but I haven't come across it yet on this forum, other BMW forums or through a google search.

I hope I have described the issue clearly.