Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW M3
half engine power light-HELP Please

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2008 335i sedan, with 71k miles on. The other day something on the highway hit the front end of my car. As I went home, garaged the car, checked the bumper everything look ok. I thought no problem.

Later that day I went to the store and notice this orange light with the slash across it come on. The next day I check everything again and notice thru the lower grill of the bumper that the air cooler or intercooler was damaged. It had a open small crack about an inch.

So I did some reading and noticed some people say JB wield works so I used and let it cured. installed everything back with the help of my brother.

Test drove, the light still on, and now the car makes a whistle sound, coming from the right side of the car when I give it gas. No noise at adle, and slit noise at parked and when I rev the rpm up to 2 and 3. It seems the noise is more when I drive.

I dont know much about these cars.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM

anyone? My brothers who both have m3 say it could be the turbos. I hope not, I dont have any mods or have been driving it hard. The car is not smoking or shaking, everything is normal except this light and that I do feel power loss.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM

another thing I noticed today, i started the car and the light was gone, I took it for a drive around the neighborhood and noticed once I normally press the accelerator. The light comes on.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Most likely you have a charged air leak, the jb weld must not be holding and you are leaking boost pressure. The computer notices less boost and throws light. Boost leak will cause low power. The leak will also cause the squeal, turbos are most likely fine just need to fix leak.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Thank you Mhammill, I will look into buying a new intercooler I know they are not cheap.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by m397 View Post
Thank you Mhammill, I will look into buying a new intercooler I know they are not cheap.

You're sensitive, cost of new intercooler, yet have done no diagnosis. R&R'g expensive parts hoping like heck the problem's solved is an expensive way to proceed.

First things first: Read codes.

Here's a directory
of annunciator graphics - see what matches yours.

Oooooooooh those snooty M3 people! Always blaming turbos for this 'n' that. Of course, they don't have 'em.

Wanna have some fun? Your ride can be made to out-run 'em.

Really.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirate Bulldog.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	363542

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM

CALWATERBOY,

from that Check Control Message I have the NO 49 and ID code 29 come when when I press the accelerator while driving.
Some are saying turbos are bad, some are saying, boost leak, and some say the wastegate is stuck open. so, I have to take these to consideration and be prepared for whats wrong.
Before the air cooler was damaged the vehicle was driving perfectly. That would be my first target to replace and its true its not cheap item 350 for a air cooler! Thats not being sensitive my friend. I dont know anything about turbos or these 335i's now that I have read about them, I know that they can out run the M3s stock 95-99 and 2001-2005 but apparently the 335i doesn't out last them which is sad for bmw!

Thanks for you input
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
It would make sense that if your intercooler is leaking that the ecu is having to adjust the wastegates on the turbos due to the loss in pressure or constantly changing air pressure that may be present because they would spin faster with no compression holding them back at higher speeds. The air intake ducting must be leak-free (see below) for turbos to work properly. "A leaking system may result in erroneous boost pressure". It looks like the turbos compress the incoming air into the intercooler and through it so a leak in the intercooler would be an issue the more you step on it. I would definitely see if an indy could diagnose it first. Maybe your insurance could cover? Worth a try depending on your deductible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TURBO%201.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	363583  

Last edited by sptt144; 02-23-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
29 is the Reduced Engine Power code. You know that already.
49 looks to be a Particulate Filter Malfunction

While I agree that blindly replacing parts isn't the way to try to fix a car, you know your intercooler was damaged. Even if you had cleared the codes, I'm not sure I'd continue using one repaired with a blob of epoxy, as much as I like and use JBWeld. If you've kept it to the surface only, you're relying on "face grip" only against a pressurized system. If you've pushed it into the crack, you're risking bits of epoxy shedding into the intake air, and if you're in the intercooler, there's no more filtration before the cylinders.

Yeah, $350 for an intercooler bites. So does damaging a $6000 engine through a mediocre repair. The intercooler may not be your only problem here, but you're being penny wise and pound foolish if you don't replace it.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
from that Check Control Message I have the NO 49 and ID code 29 come when when I press the accelerator while driving.

Some are saying turbos are bad, some are saying, boost leak, and some say the wastegate is stuck open. so, I have to take these to consideration and be prepared for whats wrong.
Before the air cooler was damaged the vehicle was driving perfectly. That would be my first target to replace and its true its not cheap item 350 for a air cooler! Thats not being sensitive my friend. I dont know anything about turbos or these 335i's now that I have read about them, I know that they can out run the M3s stock 95-99 and 2001-2005 but apparently the 335i doesn't out last them which is sad for bmw!

Well, JBWeld should be something done t'limp along until replacement. You must replace the intercooler.

But is that all that's happening? Dunno, 'cause codes have not been read. Check the 'read codes' link in my msg above - read all, particularly those that are not shown to the driver. Bavarian Technic is an equiv to GT1, which your dealer uses.

Yo Sunny! You mentioned GT1 as being glacially slow - what's up w/that? Linked to Munich?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I dont know anything about turbos or these 335i's now that I have read about them, I know that they can out run the M3s stock 95-99 and 2001-2005 but apparently the 335i doesn't out last them which is sad for bmw!

You might be in for a very pleasant journey - with a few easily purchased bolt-ons, 335i will out-run any stock M3 there is, yet retain gentlemanly behavior.

With JB4, can move from stock to enhanced to adaptive to meth maps, couple o'steering wheel button pushes while driving. Shazam!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-24-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
It would make sense that if your intercooler is leaking that the ecu is having to adjust the wastegates on the turbos due to the loss in pressure or constantly changing air pressure that may be present because they would spin faster with no compression holding them back at higher speeds. The air intake ducting must be leak-free (see below) for turbos to work properly. "A leaking system may result in erroneous boost pressure". It looks like the turbos compress the incoming air into the intercooler and through it so a leak in the intercooler would be an issue the more you step on it. I would definitely see if an indy could diagnose it first. Maybe your insurance could cover? Worth a try depending on your deductible.
Thanks for your info, this diagram helps alot on where I should inspect.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, JBWeld should be something done t'limp along until replacement. You must replace the intercooler.

But is that all that's happening? Dunno, 'cause codes have not been read. Check the 'read codes' link in my msg above - read all, particularly those that are not shown to the driver. Bavarian Technic is an equiv to GT1, which your dealer uses.

Yo Sunny! You mentioned GT1 as being glacially slow - what's up w/that? Linked to Munich?
Yes thats all thats happening, when I test drove the car, there is just no boost it felt like everything was going out. The code 29 from the link annunciator graphics is the indicator that shows on the dash. I dont have that BC cable to read codes of from the ECU. I will do that Monday.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
29 is the Reduced Engine Power code. You know that already.
49 looks to be a Particulate Filter Malfunction

While I agree that blindly replacing parts isn't the way to try to fix a car, you know your intercooler was damaged. Even if you had cleared the codes, I'm not sure I'd continue using one repaired with a blob of epoxy, as much as I like and use JBWeld. If you've kept it to the surface only, you're relying on "face grip" only against a pressurized system. If you've pushed it into the crack, you're risking bits of epoxy shedding into the intake air, and if you're in the intercooler, there's no more filtration before the cylinders.

Yeah, $350 for an intercooler bites. So does damaging a $6000 engine through a mediocre repair. The intercooler may not be your only problem here, but you're being penny wise and pound foolish if you don't replace it.
I have the vehicle parked and waiting on the new intercooler then I will start the car and check everything else.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You might be in for a very pleasant journey - with a few easily purchased bolt-ons, 335i will out-run any stock M3 there is, yet retain gentlemanly behavior.

With JB4, can move from stock to enhanced to adaptive to meth maps, couple o'steering wheel button pushes while driving. Shazam!

hahaha, maybe once I get his issue fix ill look into the JB4
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
With the JB4 you can run in "Economy Mode". Somehow (I don't know how), it supposedly disables the turbos or wastgates and displays the check engine light even though nothing is wrong (this is the correct function of the particular JB4 map mode however). The car feels very heavy and bogged down which may be what you are experiencing with no turbo compression. Let us know what happens. There are a few You Tube videos of guys replacing the intercooler if you haven't checked yet. Doesn't look too difficult.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
With the JB4 you can run in "Economy Mode". Somehow (I don't know how), it supposedly disables the turbos or wastgates and displays the check engine light even though nothing is wrong (this is the correct function of the particular JB4 map mode however). The car feels very heavy and bogged down which may be what you are experiencing with no turbo compression. Let us know what happens. There are a few You Tube videos of guys replacing the intercooler if you haven't checked yet. Doesn't look too difficult.

That's true! Forgot all about it....might be useful in slippery slop....
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM

ok, I have the new intercooler installed. Checked everything all is good.

Started the car, during warm up it made the whinning noise for good 15 sec and stopped. Once the car was warm I gave it little gas and it started to whine again.

During this, I notice that when I started the car the wastegate would move toward the firewall (looking down at it from the passenger fender) and when I turn the car off the wastegate would move toward the front of the car. When acceleration is applied the wastegate doesn't move at all.

Is that normal? Keep in mind I drove it for maybe 5 to 6 miles would this have damaged something else because of the wholes in the intercooler?

Also, I dont know if this car has that JB4 software

Last edited by m397; 02-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I dont know if this car has that JB4 software

If installed, it'll do this:

Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM

ok I dont have the JB4, today we pulled a code P2297 oxygen sensor at bank 1 and nothing else.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
It's doubtful you've damaged your turbo's. As you know the turbo's are upstream from the cooler. Someone mentioned loss of turbo back pressure possibly causing overrun damage which is possible but not likely given the short mileage since the damage. My concern is for the components downstream which include the mass airflow sensor (VERY fragile), although the likely source of the problem is that new whistling sound. That indicates leakage to me and you need to find the source. Get a piece of tubing, or even hose. Put one end up against your ear and run the other end over the engine. You'll find out real quick where the noise is coming from. I'm a trained stunt mechanic and know how to do this procedure without blowing out my eardrum. You need to be careful.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
ok I dont have the JB4, today we pulled a code P2297 oxygen sensor at bank 1 and nothing else.
The last thing to fix is an oxygen sensor code. They can look bad as the result of other problems. The last sensor in the car is the oxygen sensor, make sure everything ahead of it is good first before spending time on it.

Edit: Hmmmm, an O2 sensor code with a problem in the intake system. Why am I not surprised? Follow that big black duct between the intercooler and the engine. You've got a leak there somewhere.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 02-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Check VANOS Solenoid.... they tend to play up
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
The last thing to fix is an oxygen sensor code. They can look bad as the result of other problems. The last sensor in the car is the oxygen sensor, make sure everything ahead of it is good first before spending time on it.

Edit: Hmmmm, an O2 sensor code with a problem in the intake system. Why am I not surprised? Follow that big black duct between the intercooler and the engine. You've got a leak there somewhere.
Is this the one thats bolted to the engine above the pulleys? It sucks air from airbox to the the turbo towards the front of the car?

I also saw this front turbo leaking oil?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM

This is so frustrating, I have notice its not so east to work on this car, its soo tight and everything is just hidden. I need to get my car back to working!