Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 128
128 5-Door Hatch: Any Chance?

The title says it all. I would order one tomorrow. Classic I6 engine, 6M trans, and the utility of rear doors, a hatch, and easily folded rear seats. For me, just right.

I let my 128 coupe go for those reasons, but I still really miss driving it. I've tested the next best thing IMO -- X1 -- and was smitten by the car itself, but really underwhelmed by the turbo 4 and even more so the 8-speed auto.

Anybody have any knowledge or crystal ball abilities?

Thanks for playing!
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
F20 128i = 2 Litre Turbo

E87 130i = I6 3 Litre with 190KW

Both avail in Australia

E87 130i is a rel gem

the one to have is M135i

It's 90% of an M car at 60% of the price

06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car

Last edited by SilverX3; 03-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
There's been a lot of speculation but I haven't come across any definitive info.
I would prefer to have a 5-door but settled on the coupe. I think BMW NA screwed up big time by deciding not to import the E87. It would have been a direct competitor to the Audi A3.
On a side note, I seriously considered an A3 but you can't get a 6-cyl with a manual. Plus, I think the 1er handles better.

Listen up BMW NA product managers! Get your act together!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: Mustang - 135i on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
The title says it all. I would order one tomorrow. Classic I6 engine, 6M trans, and the utility of rear doors, a hatch, and easily folded rear seats. For me, just right.

Anybody have any knowledge or crystal ball abilities?
Well, knowledge's tough to find, but my crystal ball says, "I doubt it here in the US."

BMW has thus far been reticent to bring the 3 or 5 door hatch to the US (I'd've ordered that 5-door hatch my own self, but I don't exactly feel like the coupe is 'settling'.) but there is at least one sign that implies they might: there will be a hole in their lineup at '1'. This isn't any manner of guarantee, mind you; there's been holes at '2' and '4' for decades.

Getting it with a naturally aspirated I6, though would truly surprise the heck out of me. With the fuel efficiency standards everyone has to hit by 2025, _everything_ is headed for turbos. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the I6 stick around in a turbo format, as long as the low-end stuff sells well enough to offset the higher displacement's fuel efficiency.

That adds to why I expect to see a 1-series hatch here in the US: BMW's average fuel efficiency needs to go up to meet US standards. There are two ways they could do that: They could take away all the high-output motors, which would eviscerate the BMW brand, or they can sell some gas mileage machines. BMW's started by moving down to a low-displacement turbo-4. As another example, Lexus has started their plans by turning out the CT200h hybrid. Both are downmarket from their traditional positions, but they're going to get high mileage vehicles with their premium marques in front of more people to offset all of the higher performance cars.

Basically, my guess: We're going to get the F20 in the next few years-- my guess in turbocharged 120 and 128 trim-- largely because BMW without ///M isn't what BMW wants to be here in the US, and the light, low-displacement hatchbacks will help them keep their higher-performance coupes and sedans.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM

While I would prefer the I6, I would happily accept the turbo 4 with a 6M trans in a 5-door hatchback 128i.

Heck, if push came to shove, I would probably settle for the X1 with the turbo 4 and 6M trans. But for me, that would definitely be settling.

An M version of the 128 hatchback would be beyond what I should be allowed to operate on public roadways, even though I passed 50 a few years ago!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Zero chance of hatchback in the US, or a normally aspirated six in any car.

i love the 5 door pictured in this thread. Worth moving to Europe for.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 325
No chance here. If you want a hatchback go with a GTI, Speed3, Audi A3, etc.. I guess BMW does not mind loosing market share. Even though that market is small but its growing here in the US. I think our mind set is starting to change. Someone needs to make a hot hatch that's rear drive

I would order one in a heart beat. I thought about the M coupe (clownshoe)at one point. Just can't find a good one close by.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
M135i is selling well here

starting price $62K.... possibly quicker than 1M
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
You could also try a VW Golf R AWD great for climates with snow!! Drove one a few weeks ago and it was damn fast!!!!

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ZPP/ZCW/ZPP/iPod/USB/CA/SMARTPHONE/MT
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Debadge
BMW Performance Exhaust!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Not a chance. BMW NA is adamant about this point and has been in the past as well. Keep on dreamin'. The natrually-aspirated engine is pretty much dead as well for BMW.

The rest of us hatch drivers will continue to look to VW Group or American/Japanese makes.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: Mustang - 135i on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not a chance. BMW NA is adamant about this point and has been in the past as well.
While you're absolutely correct about this, it should also be noted that five years ago they were also adamant that four cylinder motors were completely out of the question.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM

You're right that there are other hatch alternatives, but I really miss the smooth NA I6 engine/stick shift/rwd combination.

And it can't be found anywhere else.

It's not like I'm in need of a car immediately. I'll keep waiting and dreaming.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasirsul View Post
While you're absolutely correct about this, it should also be noted that five years ago they were also adamant that four cylinder motors were completely out of the question.
The upcoming front-drive one series might include a hatch version, but you're not gonna see a rear drive hatch.