Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: subaru svx
how stiff is 328 xdrive steering supposed to be?

I just drove a 2011 328 with xdrive. I was quite surprised at how stiff the steering is. The stiffness is not objectionable but I was expecting silky smooth, minimal resistance steering. When I started the car and turned the wheel to pull out of the parking space I thought something was wrong with the steering. I have never felt power assisted steering that had that sort of stiffness. When I mentioned the stiffness to the salesman who was with me in the car, his response was that BMW steering provides more feedback than most other cars and the stiffness helps damp out some of this feedback. Sounds like bs to me but he made a point of comparing BMW to a typical Japanese car that allows 'one finger' steering.

So, is this steering stiffness the norm for xdrive or 328 or BMW in general?
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeky View Post
I just drove a 2011 328 with xdrive. I was quite surprised at how stiff the steering is. The stiffness is not objectionable but I was expecting silky smooth, minimal resistance steering. When I started the car and turned the wheel to pull out of the parking space I thought something was wrong with the steering. I have never felt power assisted steering that had that sort of stiffness. When I mentioned the stiffness to the salesman who was with me in the car, his response was that BMW steering provides more feedback than most other cars and the stiffness helps damp out some of this feedback. Sounds like bs to me but he made a point of comparing BMW to a typical Japanese car that allows 'one finger' steering.

So, is this steering stiffness the norm for xdrive or 328 or BMW in general?
yup, its normal. the steering feels unboosted compared to a japanese/american car.
minimal resistance is something you will not find on a bmw. the newer F30s have electrically boosted steering that can be switched to lower resistance, but even at that level, the steering on a toyota or lexus will still be much lighter.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-09-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
I have to say I found my arms were sore the first few days I owned the car. I guess I was using muscles that I don't often exercise. One person I've let drive it asked with complete seriousness, "Does it have power steering!?"

If you want that "one finger" light steering then I would recommend the Chevy Cruze. I find the heavy steering is sometimes annoying in parking situations (to exit my driveway I have to go full right then full left... it's a bit of a handful) but otherwise I really like it.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X coupe
Once you get to speed the steering is weighted pretty much perferct..just use some muscle in the parking lot!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i coupe
I have a 328i coupe 07 and my steering is pretty darn stiff. At first it was a bit tough to turn, but now I am used to it.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
New (to me) BMW Driver

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosopo View Post
I have to say I found my arms were sore the first few days I owned the car. I guess I was using muscles that I don't often exercise. One person I've let drive it asked with complete seriousness, "Does it have power steering!?"

If you want that "one finger" light steering then I would recommend the Chevy Cruze. I find the heavy steering is sometimes annoying in parking situations (to exit my driveway I have to go full right then full left... it's a bit of a handful) but otherwise I really like it.
My 2011 328 is in the shop right now, and I am driving a rental Chevy Cruze. The first thing I noticed was how little effort was required to turn the wheel. My impression having driven the car for almost two weeks is that there is little to no feedback from the road, and it seems to require constant input to keep the car centered.

While my 328 may require a bit more strength, I certainly prefer it to the near Cadillac-like easy to spin steering wheel of the Cruze.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I think some of you guys need to spend more time at the gym. I never found the steering in my E93 to be overly stiff and neither does my wife who has a chronic shoulder injury. I can remember driving full size American cars that did not have power steering or power brakes. Those cars took some effort to maneuver.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-14-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think some of you guys need to spend more time at the gym. I never found the steering in my E93 to be overly stiff and neither does my wife who has a chronic shoulder injury. I can remember driving full size American cars that did not have power steering or power brakes. Those cars took some effort to maneuver.

CA
Or one of these .......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering-wheel-knob.gif
Views:	103
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	366448  

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328ix
Agree, the steering on the x drive is hard. But ..it's awesome- that's what she said.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
If you think the steering on an E9x is too hard there is an inexpensive and easy to implement solution.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
I just bought a 335i without xDrive but all the ones I test drove before had it. It's definitely tighter. I like it though it didn't feel linear. I went without it. Though the launch is better with xDrive, I don't need it in Texas. Plus, I have a 75-90 mile commute right now and need every mpg I can get.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Weird thing was that I got in a Ford Fusion today and the steering was so light it felt WEIRD (it was also weird not having to hit the clutch). I have become so accustomed to the great control I get from my 3 that anything else just feels like a toy...
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
OP you will get used to the steering quickly. In fact once you do and get into another car you will oversteer it like the steering wheel is going to fall off.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 03-17-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandt2025 View Post
My 2011 328 is in the shop right now, and I am driving a rental Chevy Cruze. The first thing I noticed was how little effort was required to turn the wheel. My impression having driven the car for almost two weeks is that there is little to no feedback from the road, and it seems to require constant input to keep the car centered.

While my 328 may require a bit more strength, I certainly prefer it to the near Cadillac-like easy to spin steering wheel of the Cruze.
I got a 11 328i xdrive with 14k miles a few days ago and this is the first thing I noticed. The steering is weighted but it seems the car stays more centered while on the road. I owned a Mazda before this car and the steering was easier but it seemed like a constant struggle to keep the car aligned, maybe its just me thinking too much. Is this what youre trying to say?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Horsepower Please

Mein Auto: E92
I have no problem with the steering and I think its normal for BMW x drive.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 328i.
Drive a new 3 with electric steering you won't like it. The old 3 drives like the go cart you used to drive when you were 10 years old. Now that's a real BMW.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Buy a Jap car if you want wimpy steering

In 01 BMW tried to introduce wimpy steering and the people that got it were quite surprised
and complained to the point that BMW actually retrofitted there vehicles with a 328 steering
box. This subject keeps getting revisited and statistics keep telling marketing that wimpy steering is what people want . Eventually there will be nothing to distinguished a BMW from any other car.
But the answer is simple variable steering boost, as in a a dial to set it to your preferences.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
In 01 BMW tried to introduce wimpy steering and the people that got it were quite surprised
and complained to the point that BMW actually retrofitted there vehicles with a 328 steering
box. This subject keeps getting revisited and statistics keep telling marketing that wimpy steering is what people want . Eventually there will be nothing to distinguished a BMW from any other car.
But the answer is simple variable steering boost, as in a a dial to set it to your preferences.
Do you have a source for this?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
OP you will get used to the steering quickly. In fact once you do and get into another car you will oversteer it like the steering wheel is going to fall off.
My only problem is that now that I'm used to this steering feedback and general awesomeness, BMW decides to take it away for all the new models
Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: lci e91
I'm resurrecting this post. I recently picked up a 2011 e91 with xdrive and i have to say the steering wheel does feel almost as if there is no power steering, it reminds me of an old alpha romeo spyder (no power steering) i had driven years ago. In any case i truly thought something was wrong having driven an e92 m3, a z4 m coupe and several e46 m3's and even a 535i with xdrive and my wagon had the stiffest steering of them all. I even had a friend drive it (the owner of the z4 m coupe) and he even said it was much stiffer then his car at low speeds. I go back and forth driving a mkvi GLI (my wife's car) and the wagon and it seems like i cant get use to the stiff steering. I just find it odd that the steering was even stiffer then the 5 series with xdrive. I took it to a dealership and they said nothing was wrong. I think i just need to drive another e9x with xdrive to fully convince me that there's nothing wrong with the car. the steering feels great at speed but around town (where i do most of my driving) it can get a bit cumbersome. thats my .02
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
I'm resurrecting this post. I recently picked up a 2011 e91 with xdrive and i have to say the steering wheel does feel almost as if there is no power steering, it reminds me of an old alpha romeo spyder (no power steering) i had driven years ago. In any case i truly thought something was wrong having driven an e92 m3, a z4 m coupe and several e46 m3's and even a 535i with xdrive and my wagon had the stiffest steering of them all. I even had a friend drive it (the owner of the z4 m coupe) and he even said it was much stiffer then his car at low speeds. I go back and forth driving a mkvi GLI (my wife's car) and the wagon and it seems like i cant get use to the stiff steering. I just find it odd that the steering was even stiffer then the 5 series with xdrive. I took it to a dealership and they said nothing was wrong. I think i just need to drive another e9x with xdrive to fully convince me that there's nothing wrong with the car. the steering feels great at speed but around town (where i do most of my driving) it can get a bit cumbersome. thats my .02
Maybe you could try doing a few weight exercises for your shoulders, upper and lower arms?

The steering is fine, and you get used to it. However, if you drive a boosted steering wheel car, you'll never really get used to it, for obvious reasons.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: lci e91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Maybe you could try doing a few weight exercises for your shoulders, upper and lower arms?

The steering is fine, and you get used to it. However, if you drive a boosted steering wheel car, you'll never really get used to it, for obvious reasons.
As long as there's nothing wrong with the car. the steering feels great when driving at speed. its just around town its a bit tiring. I guess we just have to get rid of the jetta and get another e9x with x drive.

hitting the gym always helps!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
^^^^ THIS!
The SO's car is a Mercedes E430 Sedan. The first time I drove it after getting the E93, I darn near put it in the front yard of a house down the street from us that is at the apex of a sharp curve. The very nice thing about the BMW's steering is with it's super tight turning radius, you can make U-turns from one inside lane to the inside lane going the opposite direction without ever hitting the brakes. I'll take the "hard" steering of the BMW any day over the loose steering of its competitors.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793