Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
X3 35i M Sport - I was blind but now I see...

I have been in the market for a new suv and have tested a variety of models this past month. We use our suv for both business and fun – we don't have kids but we do have a very large German shepherd dog and a very active sports oriented life style.

I focused on BMW and Porsche offerings. I drove the X3 35i last year and found it to be a little boring so I concentrated on X5 variants. I drove the X5d, X5 35i, X5 5.0, X6 3.5 – all nice. I had fond memories of the X5d steering and given the very generous year end incentives – the diesel was clearly the early favorite. However, when I dove it this past month I found the diesel clatter – although muffled – obtrusive. Moving on to the X5 35i – nice but nothing compelling. I tested a M Sport 5.0 and liked it, but found the pervasive sense of weight off putting. Moreover, although the vehicle conveyed a sense of tank-like invulnerability the ride was stiff and less than compliant. On to the X6 – I thought it might be fun but my German shepherd hated it. At the end of the day I thought I might drive home in an X5 5.0 M Sport. I came close but did not pull the trigger – thinking about the dollars out and the very real possibility that I would take a significant hit in terms of depreciation given the X5's looming replacement - I decided to postpone the decision and ride over to my "friendly" Porsche dealer.

I was able to closely examine a CayenneD and CayenneS. In general , the Cayenne exuded freshness – and athleticism. I found the interior modern, sporty, and very comfortable. At $62K the CayenneD was a compelling value vs. the X5d especially given the somewhat dated persona of the BMW. Although the Porsche diesel was a great package overall – genetically there must be something in my DNA that keeps me from turning a deaf ear to the diesel clatter – Porsche moniker not withstanding. In general, I found the Porsche to drive "small" as opposed to X5 variants that drove "large". I found the CayenneS at $80K to be the better overall choice compared to the BMW X5 5.0 and was tempted but thoughts of my previous experiences servicing my Porsches stopped me. My Porsche experiences have been the stuff of nightmares as opposed to the trouble free and responsive care I have received by my dealer in the metro DC area- Passport BMW, and by BMWNA.

So back to Passport to buy a X5 5.0 but I just was not feeling it – wow – a bunch of money for a nice vehicle but I still had serious reservations. I was paralyzed….out of desperation asked to drive an X3 – knowing it was a waste of time. My Passport buddy brought me an X3 to drive …..Hmmm…..M Sport Carbon black….not bad – but I know I hate the very bland interior?…...nope – nice interior design that exudes a sense of sporty purposefulness and finely executed design details . The sports seats coddle my 6'3" frame just right Well….ll I know the thing drives like an economy car?…...nope – tight – responsive and fast – a feeling of connectivity and lightness pervades – feels like the same guys who designed my M3 had a hand in fine-tuning this X3. OK, I know carrying capacity has to be compromised? – no again – the X3 is cavernous.

I was really impressed with the X3 35i M Sport but I was not sure if this was passing infatuation induced by the fatigue of testing all the others - I decided to think about it especially since the loaded X3 I would order would be more than an X5d after discounts…..After thinking about it – I pulled the trigger and ordered an X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black/Oyster. Rarely do we have the opportunity to order a "perfect" vehicle in terms of our needs and desires. I feel very privileged to have found such a vehicle in my M3 and now I think I may have found another in my coming X3 M Sport. Fast, responsive, capable, comfortable, athletic, maybe the perfect compelling suv in terms of my needs and desires.

BTW my German shepherd loved it!

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Burtman

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M
Congrats.........I have a 2013 X3 35i with the M package........You are going to love it !
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
Very nice , I was in your shoes and end up buying X33.5 M sport as well
Perfect blend of mid size SUV that fits my wife,me and soon be very large golden doodle/he is only 7 mo and 52 pounds/ Alex
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Hallelujah! I would say that this review has an amazing grace about it.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
Congrats on your choice.

What has changed between your initial test drive of a "plain jane" 3.5 and an M Sport 3.5? Also, what did your dog not like about the X6?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I wondered about the 35i and the sport 35i too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post
Congrats on your choice.

What has changed between your initial test drive of a "plain jane" 3.5 and an M Sport 3.5? Also, what did your dog not like about the X6?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post
Congrats on your choice.

Hmmm...it's been a while...as I remember it - the car I drove was a stripper. The driving experience was underwhelming - the vehicle lacked a feeling of connectivity. There was nothing about the X3 that grabbed me and said "you gotta get this". Overall - a lot of money for not much suv. Maybe the X3 I drove really was good but I was just not mentally open to its potential. I suspect that the 2013 I recently drove has been beneficiary of many BMW tweaks in the past 16 months. Moreover, the M Sport I just drove emotionally connected with me - I luv the sports seats and the M steering wheel! Perhaps by driving so many alternatives, my eyes were open to the realization that the X3 35i M Sport is an exceptional value - this kinda sums up my feelings - BMW X3 35i M Sport There is No Substitute....at least I couldn't find one....

X6 and 100 Lb German shepherds are not a great mix - my shepherd said that the very high tail gate was a bitch - moreover once he made the effort to jump twice his shoulder height he was rewarded with a very restricted rear luggage area. The back seats were also very claustrophobic given the sloping coupe roof line. He made it very clear that if I bought the X6 that his feelings obviously counted for very little and I should be prepare myself to suffer the inevitable consequences....

Thanks guys for all the nice comments - I am very excited about my new X3 - I am counting the days! I think my Carbon Black X3 will feel right at home next to my Silverstone M3!

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
We will need pics of course.

Carbon black X3 M-sport is a hot combo.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Did you drive the Touareg TDI with it's 405 pounds of torque? It seems to price out about the same as an X3 35i but doesn't have the X3's twisted up window line of the rear quarter panel. The Touareg keeps it flat like the X5, Q5 and others. It also has a dynamic suspension.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 01-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Did you drive the Touareg TDI with it's 405 pounds of torque? It seems to price out about the same as an X3 35i but doesn't have the X3's twisted up window line of the rear quarter panel. The Touareg keeps it flat like the X5, Q5 and others. It also has a dynamic suspension.
No I did not, but I did test the X5d and the Porsche CayenneD. Both were about 62K – only a few thousand more than the list price of my X3. Although the BMW X5 is a bit stale, the Porsche seemed initially to be a compelling value until I drove it. We all have different priorities, but I consider a ” Porsche” Diesel that does 0 -60 in 7+ seconds to be an oxy-moron. Perhaps I should reconcile myself to the idea that God created two kinds of enthusiasts – those who savor the music of a thoroughbred gas engine and those who swoon to the tune of chitty-chitty-bang-bang….naw ...jus' joking!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 09 honda civic
I'm just curious, aside from the diesel sound, would you recommend the CayenneD?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Capobranco, congrats on the pending arrival of your new X3 M-sport. Beautiful car especially in Carbon Black. Did you also get the Dynamic Handling Pkg (DHP)?

The most important question, is your German Shepard allowed in the M3? Silverstone is a nice color and rare in the sea of black, white and grey (M3's).
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
No I did not, but I did test the X5d and the Porsche CayenneD. Both were about 62K...We all have different priorities, but I consider a " Porsche" Diesel that does 0 -60 in 7+ seconds to be an oxy-moron. ...
Pity, you might have enjoyed it. The Touareg Executive TDI is a clean diesel and prices out in the same ballpark but with that 405 torque does 0-60 in 5.8 like the X3 35i but with 20/29 mpg. The Cayenne also has the flat windo line. I suppose God created still other enthusiasts with BOTH eyes and ears that appreciate how it both sings and how it looks.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 01-04-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Corrected Trim Line name to Executive
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogX3 View Post
I'm just curious, aside from the diesel sound, would you recommend the CayenneD?
Quote:
Pity, you might have enjoyed it. The Touareg Presidential TDI is a clean diesel and prices out in the same ballpark but with that 405 torque does 0-60 in 5.8 like the X3 35i but with 20/29 mpg. The Cayenne also has the flat windo line. I suppose God created still other enthusiasts with BOTH eyes and ears that appreciate how it both sings and how it looks.
Aside from sound? ….actually I find that sound is one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving. The sound of my M3 is one of the essential elements that magically transports me to a very special place where man – machine – road become one – a transcendental reality where I find myself living in the moment. I can go weeks without ever listening to my stereo – preferring the sensual rapture of M song.

When all is said and done the Cayenne D remains a seductive vehicle that promises Porsche cache and value. The Cayenne I tested was lighted optioned at 62K but struck me as a compelling choice especially if one were also considering a BMW X5d. However the proof is in the driving - yeah the Cayenne handles well, looks great inside and out – but it still goes like a diesel. I have owned Porsches in the past and I just can’t quite understand the idea of a Porsche diesel – which destroys my romantic memories of the brand. On a purely practical note, I would still choose a BMW X5d over a Cayenne D, even though I might give the edge to the more contemporary Porsche, given the total luxury car driving experience. My local BMW dealer and BMWNA have taken care of me when there have been issues – the Porsche experience can be more contentious and will be more expensive.

As to eyes and ears - the emperor has no clothes - a Porsche tractor or VW tractor? - pick your poison - a 4600 rpm red line is the stuff of tractor pull dreams. Speaking of oxy-morons - Presidential VW?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Pity, you might have enjoyed it. The Touareg Presidential TDI is a clean diesel and prices out in the same ballpark but with that 405 torque does 0-60 in 5.8 like the X3 35i but with 20/29 mpg. The Cayenne also has the flat windo line. I suppose God created still other enthusiasts with BOTH eyes and ears that appreciate how it both sings and how it looks.
Odd, Consumer Reports is showing the 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds for the Touareg TDI. Where did you get your numbers at?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM

You're right. I must have misread my search on the Touareg.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 01-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
Odd, Consumer Reports is showing the 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds for the Touareg TDI. Where did you get your numbers at?
EPILOG.... I found my source. It was Edmunds. I misread the stats for the Touareg Hybrid which is a gasoline/electric and according them is tuned more for performance than economy hence the better performance then mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/to...13/#fullreview
"The Touareg Hybrid is motivated by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine paired with an electric motor. The combination generates an impressive 380 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque, enough to catapult this Touareg from a standstill to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds, according to Edmunds testing. The eight-speed auto and all-wheel drive also are standard."
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
EPILOG.... I found my source. It was Edmunds. I misread the stats for the Touareg Hybrid which is a gasoline/electric and according them is tuned more for performance than economy hence the better performance then mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/to...13/#fullreview
"The Touareg Hybrid is motivated by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine paired with an electric motor. The combination generates an impressive 380 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque, enough to catapult this Touareg from a standstill to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds, according to Edmunds testing. The eight-speed auto and all-wheel drive also are standard."
That's awesome for a hybrid
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
Capobranco, congrats on the pending arrival of your new X3 M-sport. Beautiful car especially in Carbon Black. Did you also get the Dynamic Handling Pkg (DHP)?
Thanks! I am very excited!

Damn, I just knew someone was going to ask me about DHP. Lots of angst over DHP here - way more than the $1400 cost. Long story short - I did not...at least as of this moment. I buy my cars from the general sales manager at Passport, who has become a friend over the years, and who is also an M3 enthusiast. We talked about it - more than once. He made the case that it was superfluous - indeed he told me that he has never ordered an X3 with DHP for the dealership. Although he did not have a car to drive with DHP - he said drive his car without and let's talk. The M Sport I drove was both sharp and compliant even on its 19 inch wheels - I was impressed.

Quote:
The most important question, is your German Shepard allowed in the M3? Silverstone is a nice color and rare in the sea of black, white and grey (M3's).
Nick is my best bud - he always has my back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickey in M3 Xmas.jpg
Views:	2201
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	355952  

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
That's awesome for a hybrid
Yes. It has an interesting bit of technology in the form of an engine clutch that lets the gasoline engine disengage and you can run on all electric for a while. Capobranco would hate it as it has NO engine sound at that point.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 01-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
... Capobranco would hate it as it has NO engine sound at that point.
That could be synthesized and played over a nice sound system, if the manufacturer wanted to put the effort into it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Damn, I just knew someone was going to ask me about DHP. Lots of angst over DHP here - way more than the $1400 cost. Long story short - I did not...at least as of this moment. I buy my cars from the general sales manager at Passport, who has become a friend over the years, and who is also an M3 enthusiast. We talked about it - more than once. He made the case that it was superfluous - indeed he told me that he has never ordered an X3 with DHP for the dealership. Although he did not have a car to drive with DHP - he said drive his car without and let's talk. The M Sport I drove was both sharp and compliant even on its 19 inch wheels - I was impressed.
I am debating this for the pending order for my wife's X3. We'll be test driving one this weekend. It is equipped with the M-sport but not DHP. Back-n-forth as well.

Quote:

Nick is my best bud - he always has my back.
Nice looking Shepherd. Rare to see a coat like his.

I have two Golden Retrievers who go hiking with me all the time. Most likely they will have access to my future M3 (which should arrive in May). Cleaning out dog hair is just part of the ownership experience.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
... Capobranco would hate it as it has NO engine sound at that point.
a dream to some - my nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
That could be synthesized and played over a nice sound system, if the manufacturer wanted to put the effort into it.
you are evil....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
I am debating this for the pending order for my wife's X3. We'll be test driving one this weekend. It is equipped with the M-sport but not DHP. Back-n-forth as well.
Let me know what you decide - I think I'm going to stay with my original order.

Quote:

Nice looking Shepherd. Rare to see a coat like his.

I have two Golden Retrievers who go hiking with me all the time. Most likely they will have access to my future M3 (which should arrive in May). Cleaning out dog hair is just part of the ownership experience.
Coat is not so rare - he has a "plush" coat - better pic below

You said Hiking? - On almost any given weekend, you will find Nick and me discovering a new mountain trail in Western MD or WVA - We intend to commute to the trails in our our X3!

( Promise no more dog pics!)

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-04-2013 at 02:12 PM.