Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328XI Coupe
Just got my first CAR/BMW (QUESTIONS)

Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I'm new to owning a vehicle and I'm new to BMW.

I'm 20 years old, young kid and don't really know much about cars or bmw.

The car is a 2008 XI coupe with sport package. 55k Miles, one owner vehicle.

Everything looks and runs great. Just one problem, I'm getting about 10 miles per gallon and that number is insane. I did some searching around the forum before I posted, I've been putting premium gas ever since I got it and I read that's the right thing to do. But I also read that if for example the owner got the car used to regular gas the car would give less mileage if changed to premium, is this true? Can this be my problem? Should I fill up my tank next time with regular gas to see if I get more mileage out of the tank or gallon? Or do I need to get something checked?

Thanks!

Last edited by lifeasgeorgie; 03-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Don't use regular gas these cars take premuim

Don't use regular gas these cars take premium.
Follow the instructions in the manual.
Normal gas mileage is about 17 to 18 town and 28 in the flats on a highway .
Whats yours?
Check that the air pressure in your tires is right and change your engine air filter if there is no
indication its been done or at least check its condition.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
That's what I'm doing, only using premium.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Whats yours?
Check that the air pressure in your tires is right and change your engine air filter if there is no
Yeah town I'm only getting like 10. I will check the air pressure in the tires and the engine air filter. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i X coupe
Also see if your due for oil change... I got about 7mpg increase on my 600 mile drive after I got an oil change. Averaged 21.8 or so on the way home, and about 28.5 ish on the way back after I got my oil change.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_e92X View Post
Also see if your due for oil change... I got about 7mpg increase on my 600 mile drive after I got an oil change. Averaged 21.8 or so on the way home, and about 28.5 ish on the way back after I got my oil change.
Oil change was done the day after I got it so I guess that's not the issue here.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Did you reset your tracking lol the last owner might have gotten 10 and its never reset.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM

The only way to get 10 is to drive a mile and park it.

The only way to get 10 is to drive a mile and park it.
The way you drive it and how far you drive it will make a big difference.
If you are flooring it and driving a mile never letting the car get up to temperature
that would cause bad mileage . If you are sitting in heavy traffic idling that would cause bad milage
You should be getting at least 15 to 20 in town if you are driving reasonable distances . You better have somebody check it out.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-10-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasgeorgie View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I'm new to owning a vehicle and I'm new to BMW.

I'm 20 years old, young kid and don't really know much about cars or bmw.

The car is a 2008 XI coupe with sport package. 55k Miles, one owner vehicle.

Everything looks and runs great. Just one problem, I'm getting about 10 miles per gallon and that number is insane. I did some searching around the forum before I posted, I've been putting premium gas ever since I got it and I read that's the right thing to do. But I also read that if for example the owner got the car used to regular gas the car would give less mileage if changed to premium, is this true? Can this be my problem? Should I fill up my tank next time with regular gas to see if I get more mileage out of the tank or gallon? Or do I need to get something checked?

Thanks!
You drive in NY, if it's in places like Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc with that ridiculous traffic then yea expect to get 10MPH. Those 18 mpg city miles is not geared for that kind of driving. I have typically gotten 15mpg in center city philly.

BTW, that's absolute FUD about having to put premium. Read your manual. The mileage difference between prem and reg is negligible - i mean REALLY negligible.

Quote:
My moms toyota yaris also takes premium, but I wouldn't put it in there. The instruction manual does not say the min recommended fuel is premium (93).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
BTW, that's absolute FUD about having to put premium. Read your manual. The mileage difference between prem and reg is negligible - i mean REALLY negligible.
Ditto (sort of). Been experimenting with 89 octane for a few thousand miles with no difference in mpg. Any difference in performance is unnoticeable.

Make sure the mpg indicator is reset, check those tire pressures and check back in with us.

Good luck!

Last edited by PartyBoyWA; 03-10-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Just one problem, I'm getting about 10 miles per gallon and that number is insane. I did some searching around the forum before I posted, I've been putting premium gas ever since I got it and I read that's the right thing to do. But I also read that if for example the owner got the car used to regular gas the car would give less mileage if changed to premium, is this true? Can this be my problem? Should I fill up my tank next time with regular gas to see if I get more mileage out of the tank or gallon? Or do I need to get something checked?

Few questions:
  • NYC?
  • Highway driving?
  • Warranty?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
Ditto (sort of). Been experimenting with 89 octane for a few thousand miles with no difference in mpg. Any difference in performance is unnoticeable.

Make sure the mpg indicator is reset, check those tire pressures and check back in with us.

Good luck!
Fixed tire pressure and filled up my tank. I got 19 miles on the first gallon I'm a happy new BMW owner now.

Thanks so much guys. I also checked the average mpg indicator and it says 24.5.

Last edited by lifeasgeorgie; 03-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Few questions:
  • NYC?
  • Highway driving?
  • Warranty?
1 year warranty or 30k miles.

Mostly city driving. I live in manhattan (midtown) and I work in midtown too. So yeah a lot of traffic daily.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
1 year warranty or 30k miles.

Mostly city driving. I live in manhattan (midtown) and I work in midtown too. So yeah a lot of traffic daily.

10 mpg low even for city driving IMHO - ask about warranty service!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Calculate your mileage by hand to know with accuracy what you're getting. With pretty much 100% Chicago city driving I average 13 - 14 mpg.

Congrats on your car and welcome to the 'fest. Read everything you can here and you'll learn how to get the most out of your car and how to keep it in the best condition.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Calculate your mileage by hand to know with accuracy what you're getting. With pretty much 100% Chicago city driving I average 13 - 14 mpg.

Congrats on your car and welcome to the 'fest. Read everything you can here and you'll learn how to get the most out of your car and how to keep it in the best condition.
I tried this, the problem is there is no way for someone to guarantee the same driving scenario. Presumably if you TRY and remain consistent over the course of 3 months using one fuel grade, and then repeat for another 3 months you should have a fairly accurate picture (definitely accurate for you) - but you run into lots of inconsistencies (e.g., road construction, change in your normal driving path...for example, going to C2C5 would alter the mileage), etc.

I do agree with you, hardcore city driving (e.g., downtown Philadelphia, and Manhattan) will net about 10-15 mpg. Not sure what Chicago city driving is like, but if it's the same as those two then yup.

City mileage on the cars stickers are not the same as our "downtown" driving.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Whats yours?
Have you been able to get 28 highway on an xi?
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
On my 2006 330xi I've gotten as high as 30MPG on highway. It was the perfect driving conditions: 4AM (scuba diving starts early) so no traffic, highway flats, cruise control.

These are not normal driving conditions and the car manufacturers are not supposed to run tests under those conditions. It used to be the manufacturers would run their tests under PERFECT conditions and would then report MPG that was not attainable (or rarely so). Since then laws have come out where there are certain standards. There has to be a specific amount of start, stop, slow down, incline, decline, etc. The goal is to simulate "average" driving conditions.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 AM

If its a flat highway 30 if no traffic

If its a flat highway and no traffic or a steady flow 30 and this is and xi wagon so its heavier.
This only on the highway 80 between the Bay Area and Sac.
If I set the cruise to 70 or 75 reset the counter I get get the computer to
indicate I can get 30 or 31 . In town mileage is about 17 to 19 . I don't drive in any
peak commutes anymore. I used to average about 25 commuting over the hill
from Santa Cruz to North San Jose in a 330 e46. This ended up being 70 % highway driving
The wagon is 17 to 18 in town and I don't do enough highway driving anymore
to get the average mpg's very high . Also in Cali are highest grade gas is 91 so I am not
going to risk my engine for 20 cents a gallon the 4 bucks underneath the 20 cents difference is what hurts.
Almost no gas car can get good gas mileage in heavy stop and go traffic. If you are sitting idling in traffic
your gas mileage is less than zero in any fossil fuel car.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-11-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sight View Post
If I run my 335xi at the speed limit, I'll get between 31 - 33 mpg on Continental DWS tires during the summer. If I run it at 78 mph indicated / 74 mph actual, I'll get around 27 - 29 mpg.

Drop a few mpg in the winter with snow tires and winter formula gas.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
On my 2006 330xi I've gotten as high as 30MPG on highway. It was the perfect driving conditions: 4AM (scuba diving starts early) so no traffic, highway flats, cruise control.

These are not normal driving conditions and the car manufacturers are not supposed to run tests under those conditions. It used to be the manufacturers would run their tests under PERFECT conditions and would then report MPG that was not attainable (or rarely so). Since then laws have come out where there are certain standards. There has to be a specific amount of start, stop, slow down, incline, decline, etc. The goal is to simulate "average" driving conditions.
I know they try to get an "average" which is the numbers we typically latch on to as consumers. If you look closely you can always see "Range: XX-XX MPG" I know when I had my Fusion it would say 33hwy but if I were traveling out on Long Island, I would pull about 36mpg. Likewise, in the 328xi, I pull 27-28mpg out on LI when it's supposed to be 26.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM

So I'm getting about 250/270 miles per full tank. I believe there's 16 gallons?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Quote:
So I'm getting about 250/270 miles per full tank. I believe there's 16 gallons?
Divide 260, which is the average of 250&270, by the number of gallons you pump into your tank. That'll give you your mpg for the most recent tank of gas.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
sk328xi

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi jet black
i agree with some of the others , check air filter to be sure the filter is clean. i also would check fuel injection system and ignition coil packs just to be sure nothing else is going on.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
The single thing that's most important for you to do as a new driver with a BMW is to read the owner's manual from cover to cover.

Seriously.

There is stuff in that car you will never know how to use unless you do so.