Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Preferred driving mode. Eco pro, Comfort, or Sport

Hi All,

Took delivery on my X3 28i, (my first BMW), about 500 miles ago. Still trying to figure out the different driving modes for urban driving mixed with some freeway.

I avoid eco pro using comfort mode on the city streets switching to sport when merging onto freeways and once settled in switching back to comfort.

I am thinking maybe I should just leave it in sport mode all the time but am unsure what this will do to my mileage.

I am curious about how others drive their cars. Do you use eco pro, comfort, or sport or, possibly, a combination switching while on the road.

erk
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
I generally use comfort, it gives a good mixture of go-fastedness without sacrificing the use of the last two gears. When the needle starts inching over to the E and I'm just going to work or something mundane I'll put it in Eco, usually to try and put off having to stop for gas for a little longer. If I'm feeling particularly frisky I'll put it into sport, mostly for the tightened suspension and steering. I only do that once the engine is good and warm.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Planning to order a MY2014 x3 2.8 without the dynamic handling package. I test drove a few '13s and could easily feel the sport suspension engage along with the more responsive throttle. Trouble is, for me in the hills around Pittsburgh, roads aren't always smooth where they are twisty and fun. Surrendering to this reality in comfort mode will be the plan. After all, it is a truck, not a sedan with Sport Line. Enjoy your ride!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
Sport mode when driving by myself.
Comfort mode when there's passengers or on highway
Not really a huge fan of Eco mode, although I do like the concept, if I can ever get myself to get used to it.

I've tested the mpg between Sport and Comfort pretty extensively. Difference is about 3.5 mpg, all other things being equal.
Comfort to Eco mode gains about 1-2 mph depending on driving conditions.

I tried for a few weeks to train myself to use Comfort and Eco modes as much as possible, but I have to admit that after 6 weeks of usage, I'm pretty much going to Sport mode any time I can. Passengers tend to dislike the abrupt upshifts in Sport Mode, so sometimes I use DS mode when I want spirited performance when other people are in the car (DS mode has the aggressive upshifts similar to Sport mode, but with the lazy throttle response of Comfort mode)

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i

Last edited by Hardrada; 03-11-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Comfort mode, can still manually shift with the paddle shifters when you want to...it goes back to comfort mode after you return to normal driving. Great way to push the car a bit when you want to with some manual shifting without having to keep switching back and forth between modes or moving the shift lever over to manual.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
Mostly comfort mode but on the highway I use eco pro mode. Sport is fun but revs more and it uses more gas
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I switch to sport/+ at more difficult freeway areas or when I have the road to myself and want to have some fun. I figure it's fine for the car to switch between modes whenever.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 i35, 2005 530i
can you change the mode during driving?
I always change at stop or parked.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I switch at any time, including driving. Rationale: the X3's computer is 2nd-guessing all my decisions. I might be hesitant to switch modes while cornering because the change in steering might be a bad idea, although it is fun to feel the change in steering due to a mode change once in a while...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Wow great topic.

I would love it if I was able to mix and match the short shifting characteristics of EcoPro mode with the throttle response of Sport mod.

I usually start off in Comfort and depending on my mood flip to either EcoPro or Sport. I don't often leave the car in Comfort.

Then you have to mix in the transmission DS mode... I actually like EcoPro + DS for moderate around town acceleration and Sport + DS for full on hooligan mode.

To be honest I'm not really happy with any of the modes and find myself farting around with the paddle shifters and DS mode all the time.

Just yesterday I thought to myself, "why doesn't BMW just let me decide what mode to use (be it EcoPro, Comfort or Sport mode) with my right foot?" What's so bloody hard with that? It works like a charm on my wife's Acura.

Last edited by lbjgh; 03-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
driving in Eco-Pro

Hello lbjgh,

Do you drive the 35i? I own the 28i. I try to drive in eco-pro mode from time to time and I think it is unsafe for urban driving because of poor acceleration. Unlike you, I tend to drive in comfort mode all the time. I will have to try eco-pro combined with DS.

ERK

Last edited by erkbiz; 03-16-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Since we got the 28i instead of the 35i and I don't disable the auto stop, I only use Comfort and Sport. For fun, I'll use the paddle shifters to kick it up. We tried Eco just to be sure it worked, but we bought a BMW, not a Prius. We're still in break-in and I very pleased with our mileage, 26.2 and still increasing. Maybe when gas hits $5 a gallon, I'll use EcoMode more often.
2010 535i Neptune Blue, Nevada Oyster
1999 K1200 RS Red
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I've got the 35i.

EcoPro mode can be deceptively quick if ya press the accelerator a little harder. I liken it to a startled cat... calm and quiet then springing into action. Maybe the extra power from the 35i makes up for the electronic sedatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkbiz View Post
Hello lbjgh,

Do you drive the 35i? I own the 28i. I try to drive in eco-pro mode from time to time and I think it is unsafe for urban driving because of poor acceleration. Unlike you, I tend to drive in comfort mode all the time. I will have to try eco-pro combined with DS.

ERK
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I'm either in Sport or Eco. Obviously the car starts in Comfort but I immediately switch to Sport and stay there until I line out by myself on the freeway then I switch to Eco. As soon as I come into any traffic, I put it back in Sport.

Actually, one of the screens will show you how many hours or minutes you spend in each mode.

From the main screen select Vehicle Info.
Then select EfficientDynamics.
Then select Consumption History.
The search symbol below that allows you to produce a bar graph of your driving habits from as little as 15 minutes to as much as 16 hours.

Not suprisingly I have lots of orange (sport mode) showing.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport