Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: X3 d
Emission Sensor failure light

I have a 2015 X3D, have had it for approximately 4 months with ~5000 miles traveled; 75% highway miles. A couple of days ago the emission engine light went on. Called up dealership and they recommended that i bring it in and they will check for codes. I did not notice any performance or mileage decline when driving. Idrive did not indicate any problems.

The dealership ran their diagnostics and determined it was a failed oxygen sensor. I believe he said pre "something" location.

They indicated they did not have the sensor in stock nor did local dealerships. They are having it shipped overnight and should have the part on Monday.

I asked them a couple of question:
1. Have they run into this failure often. Response, not on the 2015 x3d's but on the x5's and infact he indicated that there is a recall on the part for the x5's
2. If this was not under warranty how much would they charge to fix? Response, ~$600

Can the forum participants care to comment on this. Only 5000 miles and encountering this problem. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent failures like this. I hope this is not the start of a cascading set of failures. The car has been awesome to this point.

Thanks for your comments in advance
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: GL350, F25 Diesel
I had this same exact problem a few months back on my then 6 month old x3d. It was a failed o2 sensor, they quoted around $1200 in repair costs if it wasn't under warranty.

I still don't understand what made it go bad so quickly.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi44 View Post
I had this same exact problem a few months back on my then 6 month old x3d. It was a failed o2 sensor, they quoted around $1200 in repair costs if it wasn't under warranty.

It is disappointing that a failure like this occurs with such few miles on the vehicle. I expect more from BMWs. At a minimum quality.

It is ironic, I received in the mail over the weekend while my car is at the dealership a note from Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO of BMW NA and the VP from the dealership where I bought the car (part of a marketing campaign).

Part of the note states " You're about to embark on a journey that will reward you, not only with the thrill of BMW performance, but with a range of privileges. We invite you to learn about all that awaits you as a BMW Owner"

I wonder if they know that my 4 month, 5k mile X3 xdrive28d is in the shop for a O2 sensor failure. I did get a USB as a gift.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: GL350, F25 Diesel
I got that same gift too a couple months back. It's a real shame, I thought BMW was the more reliable German brand.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
I have been reading this forum as well as the "other" forum for over 4 years now and don't recall many, if any, O2 sensor problems. I wouldn't be so quick to gripe about BMW reliability. Do you know how many parts there are on an X3? Neither do I, but it's a lot!
Most electrical components either fail early in their life or last for many years, with the failure rate gradually increasing over time. That"s why a warranty is a good thing for both a new vehicle and an aging vehicle! An O2 sensor typically leads a pretty tough life, living in a hot exhaust stream. The likely outcome is, that once replaced, you'll not see this problem again.
Not to say that you won't see other problems. BMWs are not radically different from other cars; they are complex and getting more so all the time. I think that BMW does a good job balancing component quality and price. Others may not agree; there is a widespread perception that "Asian" cars are more reliable. I am not convinced, but that's why a free market is a good thing; buy what you want based on your own priorities and perceptions.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I have been reading this forum as well as the "other" forum for over 4 years now and don't recall many, if any, O2 sensor problems. I wouldn't be so quick to gripe about BMW reliability. Do you know how many parts there are on an X3? Neither do I, but it's a lot!
Most electrical components either fail early in their life or last for many years, with the failure rate gradually increasing over time. That"s why a warranty is a good thing for both a new vehicle and an aging vehicle! An O2 sensor typically leads a pretty tough life, living in a hot exhaust stream. The likely outcome is, that once replaced, you'll not see this problem again.
Not to say that you won't see other problems. BMWs are not radically different from other cars; they are complex and getting more so all the time. I think that BMW does a good job balancing component quality and price. Others may not agree; there is a widespread perception that "Asian" cars are more reliable. I am not convinced, but that's why a free market is a good thing; buy what you want based on your own priorities and perceptions.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. You bring up excellent points. My point was not to gripe about BMW reliability. My point was to share with the community that a new X3D, with minimal miles on it had an O2 sensor error which required the sensor to be replaced. Plus the dealership communicated that there was a O2 sensor recall on the X5's.

My concern about quality is based on the fact that I have not had any problems with past vehicles so early into my ownership. Some of my prior vehicles were similar to the X3 some were far less sophisticated (Audi Q5, Acura MDX, Saab 9-5, Toyota RAV4)...

I currently own a Mazda Miata MX5...fabulous low tech sports vehicle...

I am pleased that my dealership called yesterday to say they have replaced the sensor and I should be good to go. They indicated that this was purely a random occurrence and that I should not expect this to happen again.

To be continued...
Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 xDrive35i
Two similar cars with failure on the same part. To me it sounds like a bad batch of that part. Be glad it's not a critical as the failed strut that SpaceX claims was the cause of the rocket failure.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Most cars have a pre- cat converter sensor that insures the correct air/fuel mixture and a post cat O2 sensor that confirms the catalytic converter is functioning correctly. Maybe I'm wrong, but the issue to me is not a failed sensor. Anything man made can fail. The problem is dealers' increasing unwillingness to keep more parts in stock. Some bean counter has determined that they can save some money by stocking absolutely nothing but fuses and car wax. If I could take my car in, have them diagnose the problem then pull the part from inventory and get my car back the same day, I'd be in a much better mood. This is my 6th BMW; currently have an M5 and an X3.

Secondly, charging anyone $1200 to replace a $150 part that screws into a socket in the exhaust is bordering on criminal behavior. That's why I bought a lift and a diagnostic tool to do my own work when the warranty expires.

Typical O2 sensor cost:

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-X...ShoppingEngine
2003 BMW Ti Silver M5
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi44 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut1 View Post
Most cars have a pre- cat converter sensor that insures the correct air/fuel mixture and a post cat O2 sensor that confirms the catalytic converter is functioning correctly. Maybe I'm wrong, but the issue to me is not a failed sensor. Anything man made can fail. The problem is dealers' increasing unwillingness to keep more parts in stock. Some bean counter has determined that they can save some money by stocking absolutely nothing but fuses and car wax. If I could take my car in, have them diagnose the problem then pull the part from inventory and get my car back the same day, I'd be in a much better mood. This is my 6th BMW; currently have an M5 and an X3.

Secondly, charging anyone $1200 to replace a $150 part that screws into a socket in the exhaust is bordering on criminal behavior. That's why I bought a lift and a diagnostic tool to do my own work when the warranty expires.

Typical O2 sensor cost:

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-X...ShoppingEngine
Thank for the explanation of pre and post fuel combustion process as it relates to the O2 sensor. I agree that having to wait 4 days ( 2 business days) to have the issue resolved added to the frustration, however my real concern comes back to having anything fail on a new vehicle makes me question the reliability.

In terms of the cost to fix the problem with a $150 part and receiving quotes of $600 and $1200 is wild. Pretty good margins I would say...Good call on investing in a lift and diagnostic tool...
Old 07-25-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1cji View Post
Thank for the explanation of pre and post fuel combustion process as it relates to the O2 sensor. I agree that having to wait 4 days ( 2 business days) to have the issue resolved added to the frustration, however my real concern comes back to having anything fail on a new vehicle makes me question the reliability.

In terms of the cost to fix the problem with a $150 part and receiving quotes of $600 and $1200 is wild. Pretty good margins I would say...Good call on investing in a lift and diagnostic tool...
Update
Less than 24 hours after receiving the car back the emission/check engine light went back on. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed. Returned the car back to the dealership... Explained that I donot want the car back until the problem is resolved...I received a call the next day that now the problem is coming from the pre-cat sensor...

I explained that attacking the problem component by component doesn't seem to make sense. They should be Looking at the entire fuel burn process and replace all components together if necessary... my advisor said they may have to do that plus may have to do a Software update...all of this is quite concerning...comments from the community is appreciated...

Remember this is a 4 month old car with approximately 5000 miles...
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M#
First, you're overthinking this problem.

Second, the sensor is probably made by Bosch, and yes they could have had a run of bad sensors.

Third, you have plenty of time, four years, to sell you vehicle if it bothers you.

Fourth, German cars are not known for their reiliability.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: E320 CDI
Reviving an old thread but on my wife's 2016 X3d purchased in July 2015 got check engine light at 5k miles. Dealer cleaned the oxygen sensors, kept the car over the weekend and then decided to replace them all.

The check engine light went on again, at 12k miles. Dealer says "the oxygen sensors were clogged with soot. Indicates too much stop and go driving. Try revving the car out....." I find this a little hard to believe, my wife drives fast and puts on a lot of miles. Sure she sits in stop and go traffic in the morning but she's on the road everyday for work.

Suppose I'm not asking anything just adding another data point.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search