Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3
Angry Enhanced Blue Tooth

I have had my 2015 BMW X3 for 9 months. The car came with what I thought were all the bells and whistles including BMW Connect, Concierge Service, HUD etc.

My old android phone paired for both Phone and Music streaming but I could not get office to work. I just upgraded to an IPhone 6 which is supposed to work to enable me to hear my text messages and read emails through I-Drive.

When I could not get it to work they told me my car did not have "Enhanced BT". Of course I would have ordered it if I knew about it at the time. I was told I had every available option on my car with the S Pkg and the Tech Package.

Now I have been told that Enhance BT was an option but I did not order it. I asked if it could be added by the dealer and was told that it could not.

Has anyway found a way to Upgrade BT to Enhanced BT. I know a lot of functions are built into the car but disabled via programming so I was pretty confident that this was the case here but I am told it is not. Even replacing the BT chip would seem a viable option.

Any suggestions.
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 x35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulfree17 View Post
I have had my 2015 BMW X3 for 9 months. The car came with what I thought were all the bells and whistles including BMW Connect, Concierge Service, HUD etc.

My old android phone paired for both Phone and Music streaming but I could not get office to work. I just upgraded to an IPhone 6 which is supposed to work to enable me to hear my text messages and read emails through I-Drive.

When I could not get it to work they told me my car did not have "Enhanced BT". Of course I would have ordered it if I knew about it at the time. I was told I had every available option on my car with the S Pkg and the Tech Package.

Now I have been told that Enhance BT was an option but I did not order it. I asked if it could be added by the dealer and was told that it could not.

Has anyway found a way to Upgrade BT to Enhanced BT. I know a lot of functions are built into the car but disabled via programming so I was pretty confident that this was the case here but I am told it is not. Even replacing the BT chip would seem a viable option.

Any suggestions.
I checked the order guides on the sticky' above on this site and sure enough it was a $500 option in 2015 but std on the 2016's. Hopefully someone familiar with the computers on these can provide input. It would seem simple if the BT radio hardware was not in place you could plug an adapter into the USB port, but getting the computer to recognize and drive it and enable the features would probably be the trick.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 Xdrive28i
I have been told that enhanced BT can be coded (it comes with the combox) starting with 2014 models

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=813621
Old 05-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: E93
Interesting (and silly, IMO) the differences between different countries... I see in the US, in 2015:

Technology Package (ZTP) No longer includes 6NS Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration (available as standalone option)

But in Canada, for the 2014 MY at least, enhanced BT (AKA Convenience telephony with extended smartphone - 6NS), came in a package, so luckily, you didn't have to one-off order that stuff.

ConnectedDrive Services Prof w/ARTTI:

6AK - BMW Online
6AM - Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AN - Concierge Services
6AP - Remote Services
6AR - Internet
6NR - BMW Apps
6NS - Convenience telephony with extended smartphone connectivity

Last edited by Lotus99; 05-29-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 sDrive28i
Are you sure its standard on 2016?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdown View Post
Are you sure its standard on 2016?
It's not. Price went down thou
Old 05-31-2015, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 xDrive35i
The package was $500 for enhanced Bluetooth PLUS smartphone integration. For 2016 enhanced Bluetooth is standard and smartphone integration is a standalone option at a price of $200. I'm very happy as I wanted enhanced Bluetooth but not the smartphone integration which takes up way too much room in the console.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulfree17 View Post

Any suggestions.
Not sure if your dealer has the information correct.

At present - iPhone 6 does not function with all the enhanced BT features. You can go here and confirm.

One of the reasons why I skipped this option was specifically because the office type features and text/email did NOT work on an iPhone.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3
Well that was a waste of $100

I just paid $100 for someone to code my car so now I have Enhanced BT along with all the other options.

So Office shows up. My phone has an option to send notifications over BT which is on.

Everything is set up per the documentation and still no text messages or email.

So what I found out is that office supports SMS messages however messages sent between IPHONES are sent using IMESSAGE not SMS so texts from my wife or kids are not showing up.

And apparently emails are not even supported even with OFFICE installed and working.

With the ubiquitous nature of IPHONES how can emails and IMESSAGES not be compatible.

I am only 4 months into a two year contract so changing phones (again) is not an option.

Has anyone gotten any further or are there updates planned by either APPLE or BMW to get this to work.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM

That's an easy fix if you're Willing to give up the functionality of iMessages. Just go to settings, messages and turn off iMessage
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 PM

Enhanced Blue Tooth

Have Siri read your iMessages and dictate the replies. When you get a new message do a long press on the voice button to activate Siri "eyes free" and say "read message".
Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaslDasl View Post
Have Siri read your iMessages and dictate the replies. When you get a new message do a long press on the voice button to activate Siri "eyes free" and say "read message".
You mean pressing and holding the Phone button on the steering wheel? or the button on the phone itself to activate Siri?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Don't have my car yet so I'm going by the online info. It's the voice button on the steering wheel.

Siri, the personal voice assistant for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, can now also be operated via your BMW. Siri answers all your questions as usual and you can concentrate on the road traffic at all times.

Activate the voice control by pressing the voice input button on your steering wheel in order to operate Siri. You can make calls with Siri, select tracks, have text messages read out, retrieve diary entries, add reminders and call up other useful functions. To make sure your eyes stay focused on the road, the display of the iOS device remains switched off during the journey.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Awesome, I'll try it out!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Yes, a long press on the voice button on your steering wheel will bring up Siri if you have an iPhone or SVoice if you have a Samsung phone.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:37 PM

So much for that... Didn't work for me. Any clues why? Could it be that my telephone and media software might not be the latest?

I've got a CDN 2014 X3, with these options:

ConnectedDrive Services Prof w/ARTTI:

6AK - BMW Online
6AM - Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AN - Concierge Services
6AP - Remote Services
6AR - Internet
6NR - BMW Apps
6NS - Convenience telephony with extended smartphone connectivity

Last edited by Lotus99; 06-03-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 550i
So what does office do if you have an iPhone 6??
BMW is selling a $500 dollar option for just getting MSM message?

I coded in EBT last night in my car and I have an iPhone 6. so I haven't been able to play with it but it sounds like it doesn't do much??
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Office does not function with an iPhone. At least not yet.

It is not the option or the vehicle itself.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Not sure what MSM messages, are, but I can't even got a text message on the display with my iPhone 6, which I thought Was supposed to be possible
Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 AM

On the iPhone go to Setting, Bluetooth and find your car. Then check to make sure Show Notifications is turned on.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: E90
I have a 2016 x35i X3 and I recently visited a BMW genius to get some more information about some of the system features. I'm able to get text messages to automatically show up on the car, and she was surprised it worked, saying I was one of the first to get this working by myself. I have a One Plus phone running Android 5.1. She indicated that she gets a lot of iPhone owners complaining about compatibility, indicating that Apple is much more restrictive in allowing them to access the phone.

I don't get emails to show up on the car, but I believe that is because I do not use the native email client of the phone, I instead have to use a more secure 3rd party client required by my company.

Music streaming over Bluetooth works well. I can stream any audio coming from the phone, but can only control playback via the car interface if I'm using the native Google music app. I cannot control other apps like Spotify or Pandora using the car interface and bluetooth. You supposedly can control Pandora via the car if you connect your phone via USB, but I haven't tried it.

I note that in order to dictate responses to text messages via the car, you have to enroll in a voice-to-text service by Nuance. You get 3 months free, then you have to pay. It seems to work well, but I don't see myself using it enough to justify spending money for it.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Not sure what MSM messages, are, but I can't even got a text message on the display with my iPhone 6, which I thought Was supposed to be possible
You mean SMS or MMS. SMS is a regular text message. MMS is multimedia. These types of texts are non-iPhone text messages (the green texts).