Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: e61
winter tires and rims

Hello,

I just ordered a new '16 35i X3. The car is coming with all season tires. I live in Southern Ontario and do highway driving and feel that snow tires are warranted. I wanted to try to source a set of used rims.
Just wanted to see if other X3 owners in snowy climates prefer to have 4 snows on their vehicle.
Thanks for any feedback
Bill
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I live in NJ and while dedicated winter tires aren't "needed" I prefer them and have had them on my '13 X3 since I purchased it. I feel the ~$1,200 spent was well worth the added comfort level it gives me when my wife or I are driving.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Discussion here.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=871056
2003 BMW Ti Silver M5
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport
Old 11-28-2015, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpuck View Post
Hello,

Just wanted to see if other X3 owners in snowy climates prefer to have 4 snows on their vehicle.

Thanks for any feedback

Bill

Please put 4 snow tires on or none at all.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...service=mobile

Also you may want to check with your insurance, in Ontario I believe there is a discount this year for 4 snow tires. I know there have been threats from insurance companies for people only running two snow tires... Not sure if that ever actually stood though.

The link above has a pretty good running chat on snow tires and is predominately from a Canadian perspective.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i Xline
I bought a 2016 F25 eight weeks ago and was looking for good information on winter tire and rim packages but had trouble finding any solid recommendations in one place so I thought I'd share my final choice with prospective buyers.

The OEM wheel and tire package on this car are the BMW 19 inch alloy rims with the Goodyear Eagle 245/45/19 rubber. My BMW Dealer gave me the following wheel/tire options. 17 inch rims with 225/60/17 99H tires, 18 inch rims with 245/50/R18 100H tires or of course 19 inch with the 245/45/19 tire & rim size in a winter tire tread.

After a lot of research on tire sites, user forums and discussions with BMW I chose the 17 in and 225/60 R17 option as the profile of this tire is reported to be better than the OEM tires for the heavy snow conditions we get here in the Canadian snow belt. Also, this combo is considerably cheaper than the other sizes. The next decision was where to buy rims and tires and which brands to buy.

After pricing my choice of rim and tire size out at various major online tire stores and local tire shops I settled on the following from Costco Canada. They have a replica BMW rim which looks great and turns out to be very well made. It also uses the OEM wheel bolts where some replica rims require a matching bolt set (usually about $50) these don't. For rubber I chose the Bridgestone WS 80 snow tires based on reviews from various source. The whole package came to $1397.72 Cdn.

People commenting on Non-OEM rims in this and other forms have said they are heavy. Not the case here as the Costco rim and tire combo weighed in at 52 lbs each. The OEM All Season's that came with the car weigh 69 lbs each so a lot less sprung weight.

Some people have criticised the Bridgestone tire as not wearing well. I'll let you know about when I get some miles on them but one thing that people may be overlooking is that OEM tires used to have a tread depth of around 12 - 14 32'nds. The BMW brand new OEM all season tires on my car are only 10/32nds as are the new Bridgestone winter tires so tire manufactures are keeping costs down by sell us less tread to start with.

So how does the combination work on the car? You wouldn't know you have winter tires on the car. They ride as well and as quietly as the OEM All Season Goodyears that came with the car and by the way they weigh a whopping 17 lbs less than the OEM wheel/tire combination unless there's something wrong with my weigh scales. I'll let you know how they work on black ice, slush, hard packed or loose snow when we get some snow here - global warming you know - should have been here two weeks ago!

I hope this helps anyone trying to decide which way to go for with winter tire/rim choices. I'd be happy to answer any questions that weren't covered above.

Last edited by AVI8HISTORY; 12-11-2015 at 03:40 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search