Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: vette
Coolant Question

2005 BMW 325i
I just did a drain and refill of my antifreeze .Well I got the BMW stuff but what I drained looked like apple juice no Idea what brand it was.I added the BMW blue fluid and distilled water. drained about 3 1/2 quarts out total.
Will It mix ok ? I didn't do a flush.
I do plan on another drain and refill in a week, than every few years a drain and refill after that

Also a slight oil leak on drivers side that I can't find.What is prone to leak on drivers side ,its higher than the oil pan.
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Drained out only 3.5 quarts out of over two gallons total capacity???
Not very productive. Not much accomplished.

Prob will mix OK, but soon I'd go there again and drain completely and flush some.

Helps also to use Cooltrak to keep tabs on your coolant too.

Last edited by GoForthFast; 03-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Sounds like someone used DEXcool anti-freeze- mainly for GM products, but probably didn't hurt anything and will mix. I would definitely do the complete flush, like you mentioned- removing block drain plug, key on, engine off and heater set to 91 degrees to get it all out of heater core too.

The oil leak on driver side, above oil pan, is typically either the CVV oil drain line that comes out the bottom of the CVV and drains into the base of the oil dispstick tube or the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG)>