Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
o2 sensors

I am finishing up my engine swap. Since it is a s54 I thought I would ask some questions here. Has anyone used Denso o2 sensors as of yet. I need to get sensors and have found prices from $177 to $79 just on Bosch or now Denso. FCP Euro has the denso's. My issue is more with making sure the plug matches. I picked up a set used but it appears that they sent me the front and rear from bank 1 when I need the front sensors as in front of the cats. as I am running headers. I think I was confused as was the seller. Any help or ideas on this.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
JayMax theres a debate as to whether any of them are really different. I doubt they are actually, as all O2 sensors are based on the same core chemical principals. When i did my header job i admit i was meticulous about keeping them in the same spots anyway, but i am pretty sure most of the "i did a header job and the sensors throw errors now" are mostly from guys who contaminated their sensor w grease or solvent or something. The bmw part numbers may vary due to cable length but many have successfully swapped em... read up on lambda sensors and you'll see they all have to put out a very specified voltage so its not like "the rear ones are 5v and the front are 2v".
2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: what ever starts
I agree that the sensors are all the same, at least from what I have gathered. It is the plugs to make sure you get the correct location to the ecu that seams to be the issue. I did get a set of pre cat o2 from FCP Euro, Bosch for a reasonable price. Should be here by the weekend and I will see what I have. I asked for the correct plugs and hopefully that is what I get.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
I agree that the sensors are all the same, at least from what I have gathered. It is the plugs to make sure you get the correct location to the ecu that seams to be the issue. I did get a set of pre cat o2 from FCP Euro, Bosch for a reasonable price. Should be here by the weekend and I will see what I have. I asked for the correct plugs and hopefully that is what I get.
Correct - the plug wanking that BMW does is purely to ensure mechanics and owners cant screw up the connections by mistake and put B1S2 into B2S1 plug. Honestly if you have known good O2's you could just go snag some junkyard connectors to splice and wire them up easily.... But clean new ones will be tidy i agree esp if the price was good...
2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS