Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: f30 335i
335i Sport Line Tires

Having just ordered my RWD 335 sport this past Saturday (I got my production # today!), the long wait has just begun. One of the questions rolling around my head is what type of all-season tires will come on my 2013 335 sport? I know they're obviously run-flat and they're not the staggered set-up like in the MSport model.

I figured these types of things change every so often....so what's the latest tires they're using on this model from the factory? FYI....I opted for all season performance tires over reg performance tires due to the fact I live in northern Ohio. Will this drastically affect my performance? Will I get a lot of wheel spin from a dead stop with these "less grippy" all seasons?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
I'd like to know this too. I chose to go with all seasons instead of performance, since the CA said they have a longer lifetime and not a huge difference in performance.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Having just ordered my RWD 335 sport this past Saturday (I got my production # today!), the long wait has just begun. One of the questions rolling around my head is what type of all-season tires will come on my 2013 335 sport? I know they're obviously run-flat and they're not the staggered set-up like in the MSport model.

I figured these types of things change every so often....so what's the latest tires they're using on this model from the factory? FYI....I opted for all season performance tires over reg performance tires due to the fact I live in northern Ohio. Will this drastically affect my performance? Will I get a lot of wheel spin from a dead stop with these "less grippy" all seasons?
With traction control on, you should not get wheel spin from a dead stop.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:

I'd get performance summer and dedicated winter tires. Max performance year round.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:

its either going to be:
01 Continental Pro Contact SSR 225/45R18 91V 4 36126794678
01 Pirelli CintuRato P7 All Season r-f 225/45R18 91V 4 36122327906

both are grand touring all seasons ( not high/ultra high perf all seasons)
for reference, the non runflat version of the contis are standard on the altima 4cyl. its not a very perfomance oriented tire.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Blue Water 335i
Quote:

I hope they come with the Contis! Best all around tires I've had. Plenty of grip, excellent in rain, great wear, quiet and ride great! My last two 335i's have come with Contis and I love them. Previous E36 had Michelins and they sucked big time. I think I went through a set every 13k miles or so. I had Pirellis on a different car and really didn't care for them either. I have heard decent things about the Bridgestone all seasons, but haven't experienced them myself.

I have to disagree with Orient regarding the Contis. The tires on the Altima may be Conti brand, but no where close to the same as they are only T rated, run flat or not. He's comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by Frzdrdhppy; 03-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frzdrdhppy View Post
I hope they come with the Contis! Best all around tires I've had. Plenty of grip, excellent in rain, great wear, quiet and ride great! My last two 335i's have come with Contis and I love them. Previous E36 had Michelins and they sucked big time. I think I went through a set every 13k miles or so. I had Pirellis on a different car and really didn't care for them either. I have heard decent things about the Bridgestone all seasons, but haven't experienced them myself.

I have to disagree with Orient regarding the Contis. The tires on the Altima may be Conti brand, but no where close to the same as they are only T rated, run flat or not. He's comparing apples to oranges.
The v rated runflat contis are also stock on a base mini cooper.
The tires are the same tread pattern and compound, just constructed to meet an oe's load and speed rating.
They are not bad tires, but they are grand touring tires-- tire rack classes all the varients of the tire in the same league-- not high performance/ultra high performane. All seasons are jacks of all trades, masters of none.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM

I'd love to get the summer performance tires on the car....but being from northern Ohio, I'd hate to get an early snow in October (or a late snow in April) and be screwed because I hadn't made the switch with my winter Blizzaks yet. I'm certainly not running snows 6 months out of the year, but if I had the summer tires, I'd have to do that to be safe. So I thought the all-seasons would be a safer option for my better weather months until someone mentioned Altima...lol.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 AM

The Altima statement has scared me (if that is really true). How do the true performance run flats they put on the car perform in heavy rain? How do they wear (assuming I'm conservative with my driving 90% of the time)?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
The Altima statement has scared me (if that is really true). How do the true performance run flats they put on the car perform in heavy rain? How do they wear (assuming I'm conservative with my driving 90% of the time)?
in my experience, a uhp summer tire will do better than an all season in rain (assuming it isnt too cold). the softer compound increases grip both dry and wet. heavy rain you're dealing more with the tread design-- the evacuation grooves on the tire. the majority of uhp/max performance summer tires are designed to excel in both dry and wet conditions.

interestingly, the bmw parts catalog does not list all season tires for the european market, where it does for north america. in general all seasons are much rarer than dedicated tires in europe.

for a not super technical explanation:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...summer-9647443

expect about 25K miles of tread life for a summer tire

my rule of thumb for switching to winter tires is when the night temperature is regularly below 40, i switch. for nyc, thats around mid november. I tried UHP all seasons on my S60R for one year, it was too much of a compromise-- not the best snow traction, even with awd compared to dedicated snows, mediocre dry performance (the S60R was a 300hp/300ft/lb awd car, fairly heavy).

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-12-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 ML350 & 2013 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frzdrdhppy View Post

For GREAT all season performance go with the Nokian WRG2. Nokian's are known more commonly for their winter tires but these all seasons are outstanding (http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2). If you live in a more 4 season climate area such as New England, upper mid-west or my friends from across the northern border, these are the ONLY tire to go with. I have had them all (Pirellis, Michelins, Conti's) and none hold a candle to the Nokians - soft summer ride yet eats snow and slush in the winter and the last set went for 57k miles. It is important to note that previous Nokians were on a MDX and current 11' ML350 (yes, they make these in SUV format as well) and which replaced Conti's that lasted 27k miles (ugh!) and was prone to hydroplanning once the Conti's got to about 23k miles (just horrible). You will pay a little more, but if you live in such a climate, it is WELL worth it. Just a POV, but one that has now been tested over 70k miles in all weather conditions.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
..... I opted for all season performance tires over reg performance tires .....
FWIW,

I have a Sportline xDrive, not RWD, but I chose the no cost option of summer performance tires and with that I got the increaed top speed limiter. By choosing all seasons from the factory you lose the increased top speed limiter according to the ordering guide, in case that is of interest.

My car came with Goodyear Efficient Grip Y speed rated 225/45-18 tires from the factory. Tire Rack categorizes them as summer grand touring I believe.

I then replaced the OEM Goodyears with W speed rated Potenza RE960AS RFTs in size 245/40-18. Tire Rack lists them as Ultra High Performance all seasons. I now have slightly wider, slightly lower profile tires that I expect are higher performing than OEM all seasons, although at additional cost.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Spartanburg, SC native

Mein Auto: 2010 E90
Personally never had a great OEM all-season tire. You are always going to sacrifice grip and wet traction for tread wear.

However, my experience with the summer tires on my E90 is probably pretty similar to others, over 34,000 miles and all four had to be replaced

Left front sidewall failure at 16,000, both rears shot at 25,000, and I replaced the right front with a used RFT off ebay for lease turn in.

Current:
E90 335i | Jet Black | Black | Premium | Sport | 6spd

Retired:
E90 328i | ED 2.16.10 | PCD 4.9.10 | Space Grey | Saddle | Premium | Sport | 6spd | Logic7 | iDrive | Xenons | Sirius
2010 E90 ED Write-up 02.16.10
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
FWIW,

I have a Sportline xDrive, not RWD, but I chose the no cost option of summer performance tires and with that I got the increaed top speed limiter. By choosing all seasons from the factory you lose the increased top speed limiter according to the ordering guide, in case that is of interest.

My car came with Goodyear Efficient Grip Y speed rated 225/45-18 tires from the factory. Tire Rack categorizes them as summer grand touring I believe.

I then replaced the OEM Goodyears with W speed rated Potenza RE960AS RFTs in size 245/40-18. Tire Rack lists them as Ultra High Performance all seasons. I now have slightly wider, slightly lower profile tires that I expect are higher performing than OEM all seasons, although at additional cost.

Bruce
Bruce - Did you swap out your rims as well or did the 245's fit on there? Also, it appears you have DHP so not sure if you can answer, but did you see even better handling when you went chunkier/lower profiles with the tires? (in short, noticeable or not much diff?)

Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Pretty sure your car will come with 225 all around. I think only 19" optional wheels come with "mixed" performance tires on Sport line.

Personally I think 225 width on 335i or new 328i for that matter is not enough to handle the torque the engine produces if you floor it from dead stop, and as a result traction control takes over.

Sport performance tires have a lot more grip if you push the car in tight turns. It will almost be like on rails, whereas with all season tires you will loose grip much faster and the car will understreer as a result. Summer tires warm up much faster than all seasons and loose a lot of grip in sub 40 temperatures. Summer tires last around 25K miles, whereas all season will last around 40-60K miles depending on your driving style.

I switched to all season DWS (non run flat)pretty much as soon as car arrived to NYC. Glad I had summer tires for European Alpine driving though, all season tires would make that much less enjoyable experience.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmeyers99 View Post
Bruce - Did you swap out your rims as well or did the 245's fit on there? Also, it appears you have DHP so not sure if you can answer, but did you see even better handling when you went chunkier/lower profiles with the tires? (in short, noticeable or not much diff?)

Thanks
I did not change my wheels, kept the 18 x 8 style 397 OEMs. I did this after discussing the tire purchase with Gary from Tire Rack who assured me the tires would fit on my rims.

When I first put the new tires on, I felt the car had a slightly firmer feel / firmer ride, but it was not harsh.

After a couple of days I checked the tire pressures and found the installer had the new tires inflated about 3 psi higher than I use. I reduced the pressures to my normal 33 front and 39 rear (1 psi higher than the recommended pressures on the door frame decal) but I can't say I noticed much if any difference compared to my initial impression.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I did not change my wheels, kept the 18 x 8 style 397 OEMs. I did this after discussing the tire purchase with Gary from Tire Rack who assured me the tires would fit on my rims.

When I first put the new tires on, I felt the car had a slightly firmer feel / firmer ride, but it was not harsh.

After a couple of days I checked the tire pressures and found the installer had the new tires inflated about 3 psi higher than I use. I reduced the pressures to my normal 33 front and 39 rear (1 psi higher than the recommended pressures on the door frame decal) but I can't say I noticed much if any difference compared to my initial impression.

Bruce
Thanks BO - I am one of those who foolishly did not read the fine print... wait, I did read the fine print but BMW pulled the woolly over my eyes regarding the fact that the Sport model in xdrive really didn't have the sport suspension (funny how such a "small" typo could appear on a $2500 up charge). Thinking I had it, I didn't order DHP - as the car was in production by the time I realized this "error" (wink wink, nudge nudge) in all of BMW's documentation and couldn't change the build. So I was stuck; reorder or suck it up. So I am drinking a big cup of the shut the F'up juice and the only way around this, aside from a $3k-$4k suspension upgrade after the fact, is to go chunkier/lower profile to help with body roll. In all reality, it shouldn't be bad and it is not often that I'll get to push the car.. Thanks for the info though, does offer a somewhat less expensive option.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Well, I've already made a call (and sent an email) to make the switch to the summer performance tires....you guys convinced me. I'll just have to make sure my winter tires/wheels are on plenty early enough in the fall. Is the raised top speed limiter going to be an automatic change in their system when they put in the switch to summer performance tires?

I feel bad....this is the second change I've made (first was changing to BMW Assist/enhanced Bluetooth) after the order was made on Saturday. Even if I have a production #, it's not too late to make the tire change, right?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Nevermind....I was told my car can NOT have any changes made at this point because it went into production this morning (just got my production # yesterday). I only ordered the car at the dealership on Saturday....can it be that there's nothing that can be done just two days later???
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Well, I've already made a call (and sent an email) to make the switch to the summer performance tires....you guys convinced me. I'll just have to make sure my winter tires/wheels are on plenty early enough in the fall. Is the raised top speed limiter going to be an automatic change in their system when they put in the switch to summer performance tires?

I feel bad....this is the second change I've made (first was changing to BMW Assist/enhanced Bluetooth) after the order was made on Saturday. Even if I have a production #, it's not too late to make the tire change, right?
as long as you are not yet at status 150 changes can be made.
yes to the increased top speed limiter- S840a (high speed syncronisation) aka 155 mph limiter is standard on sport pack cars, deleted with ZAS (all season tires) readding ZPT should automatically readd S840a

S840A HOCHGESCHWINDIGKEITSABSTIMMUNG High speed synchronisation
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Nevermind....I was told my car can NOT have any changes made at this point because it went into production this morning (just got my production # yesterday). I only ordered the car at the dealership on Saturday....can it be that there's nothing that can be done just two days later???
yes. my car went from status 112 to status 150 the day after i ordered.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Where do you tell the status #? I'm in My BMW on the BMWusa website under my production #. In the vehicle timeline, it says my order has been documented but not much else. Also, my car is incorrectly listed as an xDrive right now (I ordered RWD), but I hear that there can be things that show up incorrectly early on in production process....is this correct?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Nerd, from what I understand, when the car arrives in the US, they put some finishing touches on it and can change some stuff. I find it hard to believe that they can't change your tires even after it's gone in production. That should be something they can change when the car arrives in the US. Maybe they have to do some extra paperwork for this to happen, which they want to avoid.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Where do you tell the status #? I'm in My BMW on the BMWusa website under my production #. In the vehicle timeline, it says my order has been documented but not much else. Also, my car is incorrectly listed as an xDrive right now (I ordered RWD), but I hear that there can be things that show up incorrectly early on in production process....is this correct?
the dealer sees the status codes. ask him to pull a vehicle inquiry report if you want to make sure the options are correct.
the website is horribly out of date. the 1800 number is a little better, the dealer has up to date info.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
Nerd, from what I understand, when the car arrives in the US, they put some finishing touches on it and can change some stuff. I find it hard to believe that they can't change your tires even after it's gone in production. That should be something they can change when the car arrives in the US. Maybe they have to do some extra paperwork for this to happen, which they want to avoid.
cant be done. once the car hits status 150, the order cannot be changed, you need to start all over (meaning the dealer would need to take the car for inventory, and give you a new production allocation)
they also cant change the tires at the vdc and give the car the raised speed limiter, that needs to be part of the vehicle order from when the car was first built. the wheels and tires can be swapped, but that would be a port installed accessory ($$$ as you are basically buying a full wheelset upgrade, not the factory option price)

the only option at this point is to get the dealer to swap tires. the car will remain with the 130mph speed limiter unless the OP cancels and reorders.

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.