Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
2008 550i Throttle Response

So I love my new 550i Sport. The only annoying thing is the crappy throttle response. What is the best thing to do about it? Whats the most effective tune that'll change it? I bought this car because I loved it and it is my daily driver. I loved the Immediacy of the throttle response of the 2010 M5 I drove. I want it more like that. Anyone know the best tune that'll do it? I was thinking Dinan but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 AM
F1.tifosi's Avatar
F1.tifosi F1.tifosi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Send a message via Yahoo to F1.tifosi
Mein Auto: BMW 535i Sport, 08 Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
So I love my new 550i Sport. The only annoying thing is the crappy throttle response. What is the best thing to do about it? Whats the most effective tune that'll change it? I bought this car because I loved it and it is my daily driver. I loved the Immediacy of the throttle response of the 2010 M5 I drove. I want it more like that. Anyone know the best tune that'll do it? I was thinking Dinan but I'm not sure.


------

I am not sure about 550i, May be sprint booster is a good start but you cannot expect a major change..

That was the one reason i picked E60 535i and tuned it(Cobb Stage 2+ FMIC).. now i feel like i am driving an M5 and can put serious 0-60 (less than 4.5 easily) and top end speed is crazy as well..
__________________
418whp/476wtq, 0-60 in 3.83s
Jet Black | LCSW | DP WT | ZCW | ZPP | ZSP | 261 | 2TB | 322 | 415 | 416 | 609 | 610 | 620 | 677 | 6FL | 6UH |F/R Cameras | Escort 9500ix |
Cobb (Race E30 Map PTF -Jake) | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | ER anodized FMIC |AR DP Catted |TIAL Q BOV | ER Diverter Valve Charge Pipe | Quaife LSD | RPI GT Race Catback Exhaust | P3(VIDI) Boost Gauge| BMS LT Thermostat | LED AE, Interior, Fog, Side Marker | 19" Style 433 M | Michelin PS A/S 3 |
BMWCCA member# 480266
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike_K Mike_K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
I don't know that there's anything that can be done. That's one of the things I hated about my 550 and it wasn't consistent either. Sometimes it was immediate and the engine would rev quickly while other times it would rev painfully slow. It made starting from a standstill really iffy because depending on what kind of mood it was in you ran the risk of stalling it if the throttle didn't react quickly enough.

Sadly the 535 isn't any better in this department, even with the JB4. It's definitely more consistent but taking off from a stop I either goose the throttle and jerk off the line or I barely move.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
M5 = 10 throttle bodies, 550=1, Throttle hesitation is life via throttle by wire
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Well I have the automatic and 1st gear is so low it takes off (when it decides to use 1st). I figured there has to be a good tune that could het rid of it. The M5 has drive by wire, although it has 9 more throttle bodies.... Idk anyone know of a tune that is most effective of aliviating this? My 2003 E39 reacts the same way.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
jim165 jim165 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 419
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
If only there was a tune that would allow the SAT to shift into 6th gear when in "Sport" or "DS" mode. The throttle response and trans behavior is perfect, although at the expense of fuel...
__________________
2008 550i Sport
Space Gray, Black Dakota, Bamboo Anthracite
SAT, Sat, Shades, Cold Wthr, Comf Access, Nav,L7, PDC, LUX V3 AEs, BMW Perf. Grilles, HID fogs, ACS Roof Spoiler, M5 Lip Spoiler, RPI GT Exhaust

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Mike_K Mike_K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
M5 = 10 throttle bodies, 550=1, Throttle hesitation is life via throttle by wire
I don't think it's the amount of throttle bodies that's the problem and I don't think it's throttle by wire that's the problem either. Throttle by wire systems have been around for awhile now and there are plenty of other manufactures that don't have the same issues BMW does. It's BMW's implementation of throttle by wire (or their tuning) that's the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
I don't think it's the amount of throttle bodies that's the problem and I don't think it's throttle by wire that's the problem either. Throttle by wire systems have been around for awhile now and there are plenty of other manufactures that don't have the same issues BMW does. It's BMW's implementation of throttle by wire (or their tuning) that's the problem.
That's what I thought. It has to be a simple tune that'll change it. The car is awesome and I love the sound and handling but this is literally the only thing that's bothersome. Dinan has a tune, I just wanted to see if there was a better one. I want those supersprint headers too haha

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM
F1.tifosi's Avatar
F1.tifosi F1.tifosi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Send a message via Yahoo to F1.tifosi
Mein Auto: BMW 535i Sport, 08 Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
That's what I thought. It has to be a simple tune that'll change it. The car is awesome and I love the sound and handling but this is literally the only thing that's bothersome. Dinan has a tune, I just wanted to see if there was a better one. I want those supersprint headers too haha

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App

Dinan- Expensive tune with a very minimal performance output for E60 550i
__________________
418whp/476wtq, 0-60 in 3.83s
Jet Black | LCSW | DP WT | ZCW | ZPP | ZSP | 261 | 2TB | 322 | 415 | 416 | 609 | 610 | 620 | 677 | 6FL | 6UH |F/R Cameras | Escort 9500ix |
Cobb (Race E30 Map PTF -Jake) | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | ER anodized FMIC |AR DP Catted |TIAL Q BOV | ER Diverter Valve Charge Pipe | Quaife LSD | RPI GT Race Catback Exhaust | P3(VIDI) Boost Gauge| BMS LT Thermostat | LED AE, Interior, Fog, Side Marker | 19" Style 433 M | Michelin PS A/S 3 |
BMWCCA member# 480266
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
CK530 CK530 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
Mein Auto: 2013 550ix MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
So I love my new 550i Sport. The only annoying thing is the crappy throttle response. What is the best thing to do about it? Whats the most effective tune that'll change it? I bought this car because I loved it and it is my daily driver. I loved the Immediacy of the throttle response of the 2010 M5 I drove. I want it more like that. Anyone know the best tune that'll do it? I was thinking Dinan but I'm not sure.
Did you try using in "sport" mode? For my car, it was noticable driving in "D" at a red light. But once it is in "sport", car takes off with a sweet exhaust note. I sold my car 2 weeks ago. I took the buyer for a ride in sport mode and he felt in love with the throttle response from a stand still and on passing. Sold the car on that day without him test driving my car.
__________________

2013 550ix M Sport - AW/Black
2013 X5 50i M Sport - Carbon Black/Cinn (Wife)
2010 550i M Sport - AW/Black (Sold)
2007 530i Sport - AW/Auburn ED on 2/19/07 (Retired)
2001 740iL Sport - Anthracite/Beige (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK530 View Post
Did you try using in "sport" mode? For my car, it was noticable driving in "D" at a red light. But once it is in "sport", car takes off with a sweet exhaust note. I sold my car 2 weeks ago. I took the buyer for a ride in sport mode and he felt in love with the throttle response from a stand still and on passing. Sold the car on that day without him test driving my car.
Ohh yeah sport has a lot better responsiveness. However then the shift map turns really aggressive for daily commute to work.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1.tifosi View Post
Dinan- Expensive tune with a very minimal performance output for E60 550i
Care to elaborate? I'm not looking for a Crap load of extra power, rather just better throttle response. Extra power is always welcome though haha

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM
F1.tifosi's Avatar
F1.tifosi F1.tifosi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 566
Send a message via Yahoo to F1.tifosi
Mein Auto: BMW 535i Sport, 08 Accord
As i told in my first post, i don't have much to elaborate w.r.t E60 550i but i am trying to help you save $$$$

I don't see anyone would spend $$ to just have a better throttle response, as someone mentioned here.. you could change your drive style from D to S..

Anyways all the best for what ever option you will be opting..
__________________
418whp/476wtq, 0-60 in 3.83s
Jet Black | LCSW | DP WT | ZCW | ZPP | ZSP | 261 | 2TB | 322 | 415 | 416 | 609 | 610 | 620 | 677 | 6FL | 6UH |F/R Cameras | Escort 9500ix |
Cobb (Race E30 Map PTF -Jake) | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | ER anodized FMIC |AR DP Catted |TIAL Q BOV | ER Diverter Valve Charge Pipe | Quaife LSD | RPI GT Race Catback Exhaust | P3(VIDI) Boost Gauge| BMS LT Thermostat | LED AE, Interior, Fog, Side Marker | 19" Style 433 M | Michelin PS A/S 3 |
BMWCCA member# 480266
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,066
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
I don't think it's the amount of throttle bodies that's the problem and I don't think it's throttle by wire that's the problem either. Throttle by wire systems have been around for awhile now and there are plenty of other manufactures that don't have the same issues BMW does. It's BMW's implementation of throttle by wire (or their tuning) that's the problem.
I am sorry but you are wrong on that front. Drive by wire has always been a slower response than a by wire system and is very common on all makes and not just BMW. And believe me having 10 throttle bodies compared to 1 makes a huge difference.
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
This thread was created surprisingly at the same time experiencing poor throttle response after changing my spark plugs last night from BOSCH to NGK BKR6EQUP. I don't think the plugs themselves are faulty, and not getting any fault codes, but definitely notice more lag in acceleration. :0(
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM
KLR4LIFE KLR4LIFE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Queens, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 622
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Maybe you guys need to reset your trans. I believe you have to hold the pedal down for a cretain amount of time and it factory resets. I have a manual so i wouldnt know but maybe someone can chime in.
__________________

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE View Post
Maybe you guys need to reset your trans. I believe you have to hold the pedal down for a cretain amount of time and it factory resets. I have a manual so i wouldnt know but maybe someone can chime in.
Yup did it this morning. It seemed to help a little.

1. Key in ignition
2. Press SS button until all electronics are visible, no foot on brake- don't want the engine to start.
3. Depress gas pedal, pinned to floor for 30 seconds and release.

Maybe my new spark plugs need to break in?! LOL :0)
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eWERK-E60 View Post
Yup did it this morning. It seemed to help a little.

1. Key in ignition
2. Press SS button until all electronics are visible, no foot on brake- don't want the engine to start.
3. Depress gas pedal, pinned to floor for 30 seconds and release.

Maybe my new spark plugs need to break in?! LOL :0)
SS button?

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
eWERK-E60's Avatar
eWERK-E60 eWERK-E60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: E60 550i Porsche 911SC
Oops, start/stop ignition switch.
__________________


“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Mike_K Mike_K is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I am sorry but you are wrong on that front. Drive by wire has always been a slower response than a by wire system and is very common on all makes and not just BMW. And believe me having 10 throttle bodies compared to 1 makes a huge difference.
With all due respect, no I'm not. Drive by wire was terrible in it's first iterations but quickly caught up with traditional throttle systems and now you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Hell, my now 9 year old turbo Grand Prix had a drive by wire system and it was just as fast as a standard cabled throttle body. I'm not sure why you'd even bother disputing this... It's not as if the technology doesn't exist to make a proper drive by wire setup. It's often the tuning that lacks. You may as well argue that grass is purple.

With respect to your multiple throttle bodies, sure they give you nominally better throttle response than a standard single throttle body car but the reason the 550 and other drive by wire BMW's stink isn't because they're lacking more throttle bodies; it's because of BMW's implementation of drive by wire or their tuning. I've owned a lot of drive by wire cars though and none have sucked as much as my BMWs as far as throttle response goes so I'm likely to believe it's a BMW thing, not a drive by wire thing and certainly not an "OMG this car needz moar throttle bodies!" thing.

My credentials: Owned E60 M5 (SMG) and E60 550 (6 speed manual). Own modified 535, have owned several performance car parts companies and have been tuning/ modifying cars with drive by wire throttle bodies for 10 years.

Last edited by Mike_K; 03-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
For mine the throttle is just useless for the first 20% or so

I've had several drive by wire cars also and never had this kind of delay before.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_K View Post
With all due respect, no I'm not. Drive by wire was terrible in it's first iterations but quickly caught up with traditional throttle systems and now you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Hell, my now 9 year old turbo Grand Prix had a drive by wire system and it was just as fast as a standard cabled throttle body. I'm not sure why you'd even bother disputing this... It's not as if the technology doesn't exist to make a proper drive by wire setup. It's often the tuning that lacks. You may as well argue that grass is purple.

With respect to your multiple throttle bodies, sure they give you nominally better throttle response than a standard single throttle body car but the reason the 550 and other drive by wire BMW's stink isn't because they're lacking more throttle bodies; it's because of BMW's implementation of drive by wire or their tuning. I've owned a lot of drive by wire cars though and none have sucked as much as my BMWs as far as throttle response goes so I'm likely to believe it's a BMW thing, not a drive by wire thing and certainly not an "OMG this car needz moar throttle bodies!" thing.

My credentials: Owned E60 M5 (SMG) and E60 550 (6 speed manual). Own modified 535, have owned several performance car parts companies and have been tuning/ modifying cars with drive by wire throttle bodies for 10 years.
The E60 M5's throttle response is way better for whatever reason. Especially in P500 mode with the crazy response. The only other BMW that had compatible response was my 1995 E34 540i. It wasn't drive by wire though.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
And we all know these issues exist, my question is what's the most effective way to fix it.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Vapiano's Avatar
Vapiano Vapiano is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
My delay is not bad. I purchased the Sprint Booster one week after owning the car and it works. However, I never seem to use it for some reason. I will be selling it soon. I am going Dinan S3, my high flow intake and throttle body arrive on Monday; dropping it off at the shop for engine and transmission software upgrades sometime next week. Shortly afterwards, I am adding the Dinan stage 1 suspension; still undecided about their exhaust. I really don't want a loud car. I really enjoy it being quiet. So much for being finished with modding.
__________________
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 PM
nwilson44 nwilson44 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: spring, texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 292
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
My delay is not bad. I purchased the Sprint Booster one week after owning the car and it works. However, I never seem to use it for some reason. I will be selling it soon. I am going Dinan S3, my high flow intake and throttle body arrive on Monday; dropping it off at the shop for engine and transmission software upgrades sometime next week. Shortly afterwards, I am adding the Dinan stage 1 suspension; still undecided about their exhaust. I really don't want a loud car. I really enjoy it being quiet. So much for being finished with modding.
Hey dude I think on our cars, the supersprint headers will have the most effect on performance.

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms