Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 2010 X5m without warranty ?
No, I will spend the extra money on a CPO 24 63.16%
Yes, but I'll buy aftermarket warranty 9 23.68%
Yes, I'll take a chance 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Would you buy a BMW X5M out of warranty ?

The BMW X5M are getting decently priced, $50,000 for a 2010 with less than 35k miles.

They cost $10k more with the CPO

So, what would you do ?

- spend the $10k for the CPO ?
- buy extended warranty from someone else ?
- take a chance ?
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
The BMW X5M are getting decently priced, $50,000 for a 2010 with less than 35k miles.

They cost $10k more with the CPO

So, what would you do ?

- spend the $10k for the CPO ?
- buy extended warranty from someone else ?
- take a chance ?
Do not buy without service records and a PPI. If OK, then take a chance ... offer $500 above the going Mannheim auction price.

Attached is the CPO check list and WHAT's NOT INCLUDED: would you pay $10K for that? Or even $2K?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2010_BMW CPO VehicleInspectionList.pdf (393.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: pdf CPO whatsNotIncluded (1).pdf (235.8 KB, 276 views)
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 03-12-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Wow that's quite a list of what's NOT included.
What does the list of what IS included look like? "not much"

Is there a Harvard MBA case study about how BMW CPO is a giant cash cow?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM

so when they say that "Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments;" is not included

does that mean the engine in not included in the cop ? or the maintenance of the engine is not included..

confusing.

CPO comes at a high premium so... I wonder.. For $10k you can repair quite a bunch of bits and pieces...

How is the reliability on the X5M ? I don't seems to read any bad experience in term or engine or big parts on the forums, which is a good news so far.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
There are reports of how owners have to shell out loads for plastic surgery due to continual grinning...so there's that hidden cost.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
CPO comes at a high premium so... I wonder.. For $10k you can repair quite a bunch of bits and pieces...
Don't know a thing about M reliability. But I do know this: it's a specialty, highly tuned machine, mostly custom made components by BMW M GmbH (previously: BMW Motorsport GmbH), a subsidiary of BMW AG. When I say custom, I mean custom: modified engines, transmissions, suspensions, interior trims, aerodynamics, and exterior modifications to set them apart from their counterparts.

However, the BMW X5 and X6 sport activity vehicles are the first M vehicles with xDrive four-wheel drive and automatic transmissions that were actually developed by BMW Group, and not by BMW M. This DOES NOT mean that parts are less expensive ...

A good test to find out what typical parts cost would be to take a given M VIN and drop it in something like REALOEM and compare ... Let us know what you think!
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Buy a BMW gold Warranty for 1/3 the cost of the CPO ($10k per your analysis)

The CPO is precisely a BMW Gold Extended Warranty.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM

can I jsut show up with my brand new acquisition from Manheim and they will give it to me ? or they can say no ?

I am thinking extended warranty indeed. They have so many more excluded item than the cpo though, no ?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Don't know a thing about M reliability. But I do know this: it's a specialty, highly tuned machine, mostly custom made components by BMW M GmbH (previously: BMW Motorsport GmbH), a subsidiary of BMW AG. When I say custom, I mean custom: modified engines, transmissions, suspensions, interior trims, aerodynamics, and exterior modifications to set them apart from their counterparts.

However, the BMW X5 and X6 sport activity vehicles are the first M vehicles with xDrive four-wheel drive and automatic transmissions that were actually developed by BMW Group, and not by BMW M. This DOES NOT mean that parts are less expensive ...

A good test to find out what typical parts cost would be to take a given M VIN and drop it in something like REALOEM and compare ... Let us know what you think!
I did not know that X5M is actually an Xdrive. I suppose all that talk of rear wheel drive as the real performance configuration of M division is just talks?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to vetaldj
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Owning BMW out of warranty and I says No way, my next BMW will be only with warranty. I vote for CPO. If it has huge price difference move on and find another one.

I did buy CPO but for price of car without one. Of course I didn't look into X5M and market can be different but I also saw this in case of regular X5 at some places.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Prefers bhp over mpg

Mein Auto: E70 X5M and 4.8i
I will do CPO but I don't think it has to be a $10k premium. I've seen some CPO cars in the 50's with mileage you mention. They tend to go quickly though. Do a national search and be prepared to travel when the right car pops up at the right price. You are on the right track. Used X5M is lots of car for not so much $$ now.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to vetaldj
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
+1 for Rickm5X3. I did go to St Louis, MO from Charlotte, NC to get mine with 100% match of all options and colors I wanted

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I bought an M5 with 17k miles...finagled a CPO by having a dealer 'broker' the private party deal. Paid them 500, and 1800 for the cpo. Now have 165k on it.

At this point if I had to drop $5k on a new tranny or new AC system, I'd shrug and say "cost of ownership".

But then again, I am a DIYer, and have enough cars to let any one of them sit for a month while I tackle a project. I'll most likely get an extended warranty for the wifes X5, if it is 2500 or so.

FYI- For me, the CPO is worth precisely what the BMW Gold Plan costs at the cheapest vendor- no more. Since the 'CPO process' doesnt add anything to purchase. (Note: a CPO car must have >50% brakes and tires. So these two items MAY be better on a CPO- you can see this with your eyes and evaluate these on a case by case basis- but to categorically decide a CPO will have better brakes and tires is a false benefit, IMO.) Anyone thinks a CPO is some kind of quality 'guarantee' is kidding themselves- lots of CPOs sold with defects, body work, lemonable defects, paint, repairs....

PPI always-

A
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM

About PPI, is BMW offering something good ?

I remember doing a PPI at porsche when I bought my 911. and really they did not discover even the most basic things. The car was in good shape but I felt the PPI was extremely superficial. Unless I wanted to fork the additional money for Coolant pressure testing, cylinder leak test and others..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
...finagled a CPO by having a dealer 'broker' the private party deal. Paid them 500, and 1800 for the cpo.
Having a franchised dealer "broker" a private sale/purchase is a clever way to obtained dealer exclusive benefits. I did this once. Need to find the right dealer who is willing to run the vehicle through their books. $500 is probably the absolute minimum you could get it done for these days. Most would want $1000 and up. It also helps if you have an ongoing relationship with the dealer and the dealer knows there is something to be gained through services or new purchase later.
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 03-13-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
About PPI, is BMW offering something good ?

I remember doing a PPI at porsche when I bought my 911. and really they did not discover even the most basic things. The car was in good shape but I felt the PPI was extremely superficial. Unless I wanted to fork the additional money for Coolant pressure testing, cylinder leak test and others..
YOU define what you want to be included in a Pre Purchase Inspection and write it down. Then find a competent mechanic or indy to perform the PPI. Coolant pressure testing, cylinder leak test and a compression test (warm and cold) are an excellent start ...

Anybody else want to add to this list?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
It depends, I HATE surprises!! Do you have extra cash laying around for expensive repairs? Do you plan on reselling it at some point? Do you enjoy peace of mind?
I've never bought a car out of warranty until I found my 08 X5 with 13,000 mi. I couldn't pass it up. You have to do your homework in making sure the past owner took good care of the vehicle, and they did, in my case. I still purchased a platinum extended warranty thru my credit union, that covers everything for 5 years, with a $100 deductible, for around $2000.
In my case, with the ultra low miles, the car was in mint condition, and still is. So it needed no reconditioning, which a CPO is GREAT for..not just for future repairs..but..watch the paint with a CPO, as sometimes its a quick spray of the front and rear bumper with crappy taping..rrrrr.
A CPO, or a good extended warranty will also give great comfort to anyone who might want to buy your car down the road.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
No way no how would I buy a used x5 without an extended warranty. I have owned 2 of them . 2007 x5 4.8, very reliable. 2010
X5 35 D, very iffy reliability. Forget CPO, the question is whether you would pay $4500 for an extended warranty to 100k mile or 7 years after delivery. My experience isn't whether you will have issues, the question is whether you will have cost over and above $4500 and are you willing to bear the cost yourself.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M
I have a 2010 X5M that I picked up in Sept. 2011 with 10K miles that currently has 33.4K miles. Warranty expires 11/30 of this year. It has been very reliable, but has certainly had some small issues as follows:

1) Battery was not holding about 12-15 months ago. BMW tried to blame it on me and asked if I drove it a lot. Over 40 miles a day...... they replaced battery with updated battery. No problem since.
2) Back up camera freaks out every now and again. Happens very infrequent but I'm sure it will go after warranty.
3) Idrive giving me some problems, usually in the AM, when the radio/SAT and NAV will not boot up. Hard re-boot solves the problem but this could be an issue at any time. Happens 1x per week min.
4) Rear tailgate soft close function broke requiring new soft close motor.

Mechanically the car has been sound, engine, trans, etc. but I will make a move before the warranty expires for a few reasons, but certainly I am not 100% comfortable owning this car without a warranty. Too expensive. I might look at a BMW extended warranty, but will likely move to a newer car, especially with new X body coming out soon.

Overall this has been my favorite car in quite sometime...... might be nice to keep around...... nothing wrong with 550+ HP SUV!

Last edited by Michael_s; 03-20-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Bought a used x5 (07) with 85,000 miles. Paid around $5k for the extended warranty at time of sale and it almost paid for itself within about 2 months after I purchased the vehicle. I also paid $300 for an indy shop to go thru the whole car prior to purchasing and the report came back very favorable. Either way I am very, very glad I paid the $$ for the warranty!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: German
No way in hell would I buy a ~$90k MSRP car out of warranty used. There's plenty of X5s out there that are lease turn ins (can be CPO-d for a good price) or already CPO'd on the market. No reason to be buying them without a warranty. Not worth the headache.

If I was truly buying a car without a warranty (of any sort), it would be a Lexus.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Buy a BMW gold Warranty for 1/3 the cost of the CPO ($10k per your analysis)

The CPO is precisely a BMW Gold Extended Warranty.
Agree on BMW Extended Warranty but I would recommend the Platinum version. I don't think the cost difference is that great.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I am starting to take good advantage of the BMW Extended Warranty for my 2008 X5 4.8i...

Last edited by brian5; 03-22-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
No way in hell would I buy a ~$90k MSRP car out of warranty used. There's plenty of X5s out there that are lease turn ins (can be CPO-d for a good price) or already CPO'd on the market. No reason to be buying them without a warranty.

... until you realize what a CPO does, or rather, what it doesn't cover:

BMW Certified Pre Owned:

While your Certified Pre-Owned BMW comes with a broad coverage warranty that includes such items as the engine, automatic/manual transmission, final-drive assembly, steering, hydraulic brake parts, anti-lock braking system, electrical, air conditioning/heating system, cooling system and fuel system, there are items that are not covered. These items include:

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and Use
All wear-and-use items as defined in ‘’The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement’’ for Certified Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and Interior
Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top
(all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories
Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
Agree on BMW Extended Warranty but I would recommend the Platinum version. I don't think the cost difference is that great.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I am starting to take good advantage of the BMW Extended Warranty for my 2008 X5 4.8i...
brian5,

I have an '08 X5 4.8i: what kind of things are going wrong with your car, that you couldn't do yourself and are using the warranty for?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
brian5,

I have an '08 X5 4.8i: what kind of things are going wrong with your car, that you couldn't do yourself and are using the warranty for?
I think that I've had a fantastic run with this now 5-year old X5 (which is only at 36K miles but all those miles have been enjoyable). Any problems have been really minor.

I just did a 2,000 road trip. The "Automatic Hold" gave an error and stopped working and the Check Engine light came on.

The dealership had my X5 for over a week. I now have 6 pages of documentation from BMW for that work. They fixed the "Check Engine" notification by replacing the vanos solenoid valve. They spent the next 5 days resolving the "Automatic Hold" problem.
They recoded the X5. It showed a DSC control unit problem. They replaced the DSC control unit. They bled the brake system and replaced the brake fluid. They reset the battery. They found sporadic EMF fault. Checked EMF wiring and found cut in ARS hoses which they replaced. Still errors. Programmed and replaced DSC control unit again. Still errors. Created PUMA (escalated to BMW NA). Replaced EMF as per PUMA. Still error. Recoded again with software update. Auto Hold now working and faults cleared (finally).

I had to take it back because 3 days later I was getting service notifications that the Brake Fluid needed replacing (even though it had just been replaced). Also, the service department had done something to my driver's door so it didn't close easily. They then "fixed" this but it still wasn't right; I had to get them to fix it again.

I have cut out a lot of text out of my work order but you can see that they replaced vanos solenoid valves, the DSC control unit twice, and replaced the EMF. I'm sure that this would have cost me a lot if I didn't have the extended warranty.