Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 PM
DallasBimmer's Avatar
DallasBimmer DallasBimmer is offline
BIG D BIMMERS
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 802
Mein Auto: '13 535i MSPORT,'10 E93
535i Nuff Said!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM
getz's Avatar
getz getz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in a van down by the river
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,638
Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
To me the extra power in the 550 alone makes up the cost. Slap a dinan 2 flash on that puppy and grin away. I have bought less powerful models in the past when shopping and always regretted it. It usually ended with me unsatisfied and trading in the car prematurely at a big loss (I am a man of questionable will power).
__________________


Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,564
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Most people only care if you drive a premium car like a BMW or not. They really don't care which one. It is like wearing Diesel jeans, Rolex watches, or cooking on a Viking range. Premium cars imply wealth which is the mystique that causes the interest to begin with. I really don't think they would even notice if was a 10 year old model.

They never ever ask about model, as one they don't know specifics and two they don't care. It is more about recognizing one's desire for finer things in life.

The big thing I hear these days is "are you buying a Tesla?" The company has eclipsed anything on the road right now based on comments from friends and potential buyers. BMW is soooooo far behind.
If Tesla is really "the next big thing" then Tesla stock would be a buy of a lifetime. Personally I'm still skeptical.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
schnell525 schnell525 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Niebelungenland
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,211
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I like my 550.....400 hp is nice to have. but it does drink gas. but at the cost of the car regarding gas prices....if you're worried about fuel, don't look that the 550.

I've had a F10 535xi and it does move--but not like a 550.

Both are great cars. If you want some power and want to whack a good percentage that want to play with you (the 535 can do that) the 550 is your car.
__________________
12 550xi
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
kingbled kingbled is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 154
Mein Auto: 1999 540i 6speed
I say 550
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,972
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
If Tesla is really "the next big thing" then Tesla stock would be a buy of a lifetime. Personally I'm still skeptical.
I am skeptical as well, but I think as we see more charging stations and more of them on the road people will slowly start to buy them. My biggest concerns with the Tesla is longevity and unknown repair costs. I could easliy have my place wired to charge an electric car since the Tesla has a range of about 150 miles per day, but I have concerns about how long the car will last and if the battery will continue to hold the 150 mile charge as it ages. Maybe 5-8 years from now when there have been enough of them on the road to establish a baseline I might consider getting one. I did seriously consider it though since the price of the Tesla is right about the same as the 550i I am considering.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,972
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
To me the extra power in the 550 alone makes up the cost. Slap a dinan 2 flash on that puppy and grin away. I have bought less powerful models in the past when shopping and always regretted it. It usually ended with me unsatisfied and trading in the car prematurely at a big loss (I am a man of questionable will power).
I understand your comments. Part of the problem with me is that my E60 535i was fast enough (the N54 puts its power down better and I don't care what the paper numbers say...the N54 is much faster then the N55) and I assumed the N55 would be fast enough. 90 percent of the time the N55 is fast enough. However, when loaded up with stuff or people and/or during hot weather the N55 is not fast enough. This car like many turbos does suffer from power loss in hot weather and well...I live in Florida.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM
cordoor's Avatar
cordoor cordoor is offline
cor door sedan
Location: Utah
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 856
Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I don't care what the paper numbers say...the N54 is much faster then the N55.
I owned a 2008 535xi (N54) and my biz partner owns a 2012 535ix (N55). I've driven them back to back to back. The N55 felt faster to me.

So the fact you think the N54 is faster but I think the N55 is faster leads me to believe the performance of the two is imperceptibly close.

The N55 sure sounded better to me, though.

I ended up getting a 550. The N54/N55 wasn't enough for my taste.
__________________
2013 550i xDrive | Jet Black | Venetian Beige | Dark Red Sycamore | M Sport | Dynamic Handling | Sport Auto Trans
2008 535xi | Jet Black | Cream Beige | Burl Wood | Sport



See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,564
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
The N55 debate goes on and on but from my research I've found a few things between the two:

-Many perceive the N54 to be faster.
-The N55 has put up comparatively better track times in cars that were available with both engines during their production runs.
-N55 has a lower peak torque output & a better/flatter torque curve.
-Some have reported they at least feel that the N54 pulls better at upper RPM's.
-The N55 is more efficient, reliable & a better overall technical motor.

The heat soak thing brought up here is really enlightening to me, considering I'm not used to Turbo cars. When my car is cold man does it pull at any RPM. Sometimes after driving around for a while I get on it a bit and notice it running out of steam sooner than I remembered earlier on when it felt like hercules. Now I remember why: Turbo's don't love heat.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,972
Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I owned a 2008 535xi (N54) and my biz partner owns a 2012 535ix (N55). I've driven them back to back to back. The N55 felt faster to me.

So the fact you think the N54 is faster but I think the N55 is faster leads me to believe the performance of the two is imperceptibly close.

The N55 sure sounded better to me, though.

I ended up getting a 550. The N54/N55 wasn't enough for my taste.
Not to get into a debate on this topic, but we have to agree to disagree. A new N54 (with no carbon buildup on the valves) is faster then a new N55 and it is especially noticeable above 4k rpm. Under 4k rpm I give a slight edge to the N55 as it does pull a little harder off the line. I bet your partner's car had carbon buildup when you drove it because that does make a very significant difference in power. Keep in mind that I had a combined 125k miles in 3 N54 equipped cars and 55k of that was in a 535i. I have over 40k miles in a N55 535i. I am pretty confident that the N54 is faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The N55 debate goes on and on but from my research I've found a few things between the two:

-Many perceive the N54 to be faster.
-The N55 has put up comparatively better track times in cars that were available with both engines during their production runs.
-N55 has a lower peak torque output & a better/flatter torque curve.
-Some have reported they at least feel that the N54 pulls better at upper RPM's.
-The N55 is more efficient, reliable & a better overall technical motor.

The heat soak thing brought up here is really enlightening to me, considering I'm not used to Turbo cars. When my car is cold man does it pull at any RPM. Sometimes after driving around for a while I get on it a bit and notice it running out of steam sooner than I remembered earlier on when it felt like hercules. Now I remember why: Turbo's don't love heat.
Your observations are generally correct, but I don't know about the track times. My comments were seat of the pants comments only. I am glad you validated my heat loss comments because hardly anyone mentions it even though it is a very real thing. When it is cold the 535i feels fast...very fast. Get up to 90 degrees and the same car feels slow especially above 4k rpm (this is why I suggest that Jagu wait until summer to make his decision about 535 vs 550). All turbo cars suffer from this to some extent, but the bigger the engine the less you will feel it. The short answer is that the 535i has sufficient power, but for those that want more then sufficient power you have to go v8 in a car of this size.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 x3 35i Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (17)

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 03-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 AM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,564
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Not to get into a debate on this topic, but we have to agree to disagree. A new N54 (with no carbon buildup on the valves) is faster then a new N55 and it is especially noticeable above 4k rpm. Under 4k rpm I give a slight edge to the N55 as it does pull a little harder off the line. I bet your partner's car had carbon buildup when you drove it because that does make a very significant difference in power. Keep in mind that I had a combined 125k miles in 3 N54 equipped cars and 55k of that was in a 535i. I have over 40k miles in a N55 535i. I am pretty confident that the N54 is faster.



Your observations are generally correct, but I don't know about the track times. My comments were seat of the pants comments only. I am glad you validated my heat loss comments because hardly anyone mentions it even though it is a very real thing. When it is cold the 535i feels fast...very fast. Get up to 90 degrees and the same car feels slow especially above 4k rpm (this is why I suggest that Jagu wait until summer to make his decision about 535 vs 550). All turbo cars suffer from this to some extent, but the bigger the engine the less you will feel it. The short answer is that the 535i has sufficient power, but for those that want more then sufficient power you have to go v8 in a car of this size.
Yeah when cold the car is blisteringly quick to me. When warm still fast, but comparative to itself when cold, you notice some huffing and puffing at higher RPM's. This is indeed something you just have to live with, with Turbo motors I guess, to some extents.

Yeah it was one of the magazines that took two 335i's, one N54 and one N55 and the N55 equipped did a quicker 1/4 mile time. I think fact of the matter is both engines are pretty much comparable in power, but have different delivery, and of course different efficiency and dependability factors. One thing I like about the N55 is that many note it sounds better than the N54, notably in that you can actually hear the turbo "whoosh" now.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
supershaft supershaft is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: '13 550i
Test drove the 535, 550, and M5. I picked the 550. If you are genuinely worried about MPG like some other members here are then get a 528.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Sam-F10 Sam-F10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 176
Mein Auto: F10 550xi
550 all the way!
__________________
2011 BMW 550xi MSport ( Dinan S3 w Exhaust) | DDC | ARS | Black Panel Display | Color HUD | Carbon Black | Cinamon Brown Interior | Rear Video Entertainment
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
K-A's Avatar
K-A K-A is online now
Dark Knight
Location: U.S
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,564
Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Test drove the 535, 550, and M5. I picked the 550. If you are genuinely worried about MPG like some other members here are then get a 528.
Unless you want the ultimately universal "do gooder" motor, then get the 535i.
__________________
'13 F10 BMW 535i Sport : Jet Black/Black-Anthracite : Premium & Technology Packages/Sport Auto Trans/Camera/Park Distance Control/Heated Seats/Tinted Windows/Blacked Out Markers/Performance Spoiler.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,196
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
If you're a long term buyer 300z the 550i has so much potential for adding that wow factor with Dinan if in 3-5 years you want more power or a new sensation with the car, its really just on another level. I think you could find yourself looking elsewhere with the 535i after a few years.


550i gets my vote its amazing.

I would try an m5 even logging that many miles
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Stealth8 Stealth8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: BMW
I test drove the 535i and thought it accelerated like a Honda Accord. Nice, but not for me.

I came from an E60 550i M-Sport and now have a F10 550i M-Sport with Dinan S2 and 20" HREs. You are really talking much different cars between 550i and 535i. They make different models because there are different tastes and preferences. Good luck with your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
wildcardz wildcardz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 168
Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth8 View Post
I test drove the 535i and thought it accelerated like a Honda Accord. Nice, but not for me.
The accord v6 is actually quite nice. However, it's remarkable that the 535i weighs ~700lbs more, gets better acceleration (slightly), and returns better mpg. Talk about paradox.

I agree though--I regret not getting a 550i. It's a completely different car.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
kk22 kk22 is online now
Chitown traveller
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 313
Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Here's an additional thought: Since the MASSIVE difference in acceleration numbers between the 535i and 550i is leading to much promulgation for the V8, you are likely better to hold off till the 445HP 2014 arrives that has a similar acceleration advantage over the CURRENT 550i. Handling and balance aside, if you need more PUSH then why settle for 45HP less? Would all 550i users then feel the need to upgrade to the 2014?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
wildcardz wildcardz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 168
Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Would all 550i users then feel the need to upgrade to the 2014?
For the 550i owners on this board, the answer is probably yes
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,196
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Here's an additional thought: Since the MASSIVE difference in acceleration numbers between the 535i and 550i is leading to much promulgation for the V8, you are likely better to hold off till the 445HP 2014 arrives that has a similar acceleration advantage over the CURRENT 550i. Handling and balance aside, if you need more PUSH then why settle for 45HP less? Would all 550i users then feel the need to upgrade to the 2014?
Uhh current 550i owners would just get dinan and smoke any upgrade BMW offers for a stock car.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
supershaft supershaft is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: '13 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
The accord v6 is actually quite nice. However, it's remarkable that the 535i weighs ~700lbs more, gets better acceleration (slightly), and returns better mpg. Talk about paradox.

I agree though--I regret not getting a 550i. It's a completely different car.
Gearing is different for both cars.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
kk22 kk22 is online now
Chitown traveller
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 313
Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Uhh current 550i owners would just get dinan and smoke any upgrade BMW offers for a stock car.
Clearly I am from a different school of thought. If you wanted to drive up a twisty road, would you pick the 550i with, lets say a stage III DINAN upgrade, or a manual 328i with sports package? Or for that matter a Boxster S with mere 311HP ? somehow the PUSH just doesn't seem translate to the "ultimate driving machine" for me. Would much rather sort out suspension, get the unsprung weight down, etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
F1.tifosi's Avatar
F1.tifosi F1.tifosi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 581
Send a message via Yahoo to F1.tifosi
Mein Auto: BMW 535i Sport, 08 Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I owned a 2008 535xi (N54) and my biz partner owns a 2012 535ix (N55). I've driven them back to back to back. The N55 felt faster to me.

So the fact you think the N54 is faster but I think the N55 is faster leads me to believe the performance of the two is imperceptibly close.

The N55 sure sounded better to me, though.

I ended up getting a 550. The N54/N55 wasn't enough for my taste.

Data:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/09/14...loves-are-off/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/12/dy...vs-n55-engine/
__________________
418whp/476wtq, 0-60 in 3.83s
Jet Black | LCSW | DP WT | ZCW | ZPP | ZSP | 261 | 2TB | 322 | 415 | 416 | 609 | 610 | 620 | 677 | 6FL | 6UH |F/R Cameras | Escort 9500ix |
Cobb (Race E30 Map PTF -Jake) | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | ER anodized FMIC |AR DP Catted |TIAL Q BOV | ER Diverter Valve Charge Pipe | Quaife LSD | RPI GT Race Catback Exhaust | P3(VIDI) Boost Gauge| BMS LT Thermostat | LED AE, Interior, Fog, Side Marker | 19" Style 433 M | Michelin PS A/S 3 |
BMWCCA member# 480266
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:21 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,196
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Clearly I am from a different school of thought. If you wanted to drive up a twisty road, would you pick the 550i with, lets say a stage III DINAN upgrade, or a manual 328i with sports package? Or for that matter a Boxster S with mere 311HP ? somehow the PUSH just doesn't seem translate to the "ultimate driving machine" for me. Would much rather sort out suspension, get the unsprung weight down, etc.
lol I'd never compare a lux cruiser to a 328i/ porsche sports car.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,451
Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
The accord v6 is actually quite nice. However, it's remarkable that the 535i weighs ~700lbs more, gets better acceleration (slightly), and returns better mpg. Talk about paradox.

I agree though--I regret not getting a 550i. It's a completely different car.
No paradox. It should be no secret that you pay a $25,000 premium (basically double the price) and you get more engineering technology. BTW, the 2013 Accord is actually pretty close in MPG though.
__________________
2012 BMW 550 M-Sport
2014 Lexus GS350---Wife's car
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms