Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 XDrive 328i
playing music from mobile via Bluetooth in X3

Hi All,

Ií recently bought 2012 X3 Xdrive which has idrive, I was told that I can play music from my mobile phone via Bluetooth. So I paired my mobile phone to idrive and I choose the option of telephone and audio and said okay, and when I go to the paired devices I see my mobile name and a music symbol which means I can play audio too from my phone via Bluetooth, thatís what I read in the manual.

So now when I play songs on my mobile phone I donít hear any music from my phone and I see the options where it says its connected to the vehicle audio which a check mark, but I donít see any music coming from the vehicle and if I take that check mark off then Iím able to hear the music from my phone.

Iím missing anything hereÖ how can I hear songs from my mobile via Bluetooth
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayasanala View Post
Hi All,

Ií recently bought 2012 X3 Xdrive which has idrive, I was told that I can play music from my mobile phone via Bluetooth. So I paired my mobile phone to idrive and I choose the option of telephone and audio and said okay, and when I go to the paired devices I see my mobile name and a music symbol which means I can play audio too from my phone via Bluetooth, thatís what I read in the manual.

So now when I play songs on my mobile phone I donít hear any music from my phone and I see the options where it says its connected to the vehicle audio which a check mark, but I donít see any music coming from the vehicle and if I take that check mark off then Iím able to hear the music from my phone.

Did you make sure the volume is turned up on your phone? I think there might be a setting also for your phone for bluetooth audio but not sure right now. Busy at work right now to check.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Hi All,

I haven't used BT audio but I thought I read somewhere it wouldn't work if you are simultaneously connected to center console USB port. You didn't mention if your cable was plugged or not.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
It's a two step process - have you done both steps?

(first, setting up the Bluetooth pairing, which you've done)

1. select CD/Multimedia -> Bluetooth audio -> connected -> click on your device. But this just establishes the BT input device of choice; it doesn't move the device's music to the speakers

2. CD Multimedia -> External devices -> select your BT device (phone) - this selects the BT device as the audio to play out of the speakers as opposed to, say, FM, since you could have your phone music available but be listening to FM radio, if you so wanted. This second step might be what's missing.

then, make sure the volume is turned up, of course on both the phone and the car stereo

EDIT: I believe there are two kinds of bluetooth connection on the X3, regular BT, and enhanced BT. ALL X3's have iDrive so that doesn't tell you whether you have the enhanced. Only enhanced BT will play audio from a phone; regular BT will only do the phone call over car speaker thing. You might want to check which one you have

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i

Last edited by Hardrada; 03-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 XDrive 328i
no, its not plugged in..
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post

1. select CD/Multimedia -> Bluetooth audio -> connected -> click on your device. But this just establishes the BT input device of choice; it doesn't move the device's music to the speakers

2. CD Multimedia -> External devices -> select your BT device (phone) - this selects the BT device as the audio to play out of the speakers as opposed to, say, FM, since you could have your phone music available but be listening to FM radio, if you so wanted. This second step might be what's missing.

then, make sure the volume is turned up, of course on both the phone and the car stereo

EDIT: I believe there are two kinds of bluetooth connection on the X3, regular BT, and enhanced BT. ALL X3's have iDrive so that doesn't tell you whether you have the enhanced. Only enhanced BT will play audio from a phone; regular BT will only do the phone call over car speaker thing. You might want to check which one you have

Does any one know if its possible to to get the enhanced blue tooth function added later? My vehicle has the Pro Media pack but apparently that doesn't include bluetooth streaming
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
I have to admit that I still forget sometimes to actually select the source when I want to play audio via bluetooth!

Also, someone mentioned earlier about having the phone plugged in would create a problem. This applies to the iPhone that is connected to the USB port in the armrest and in fact, you will get a message on your iDrive screen that says that the bluetooth connection and physical connection can't coexist so it'll automatically unpair the bluetooth connection with the iPhone that is physically connected. Makes sense.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I have to admit that I still forget sometimes to actually select the source when I want to play audio via bluetooth!

Also, someone mentioned earlier about having the phone plugged in would create a problem. This applies to the iPhone that is connected to the USB port in the armrest and in fact, you will get a message on your iDrive screen that says that the bluetooth connection and physical connection can't coexist so it'll automatically unpair the bluetooth connection with the iPhone that is physically connected. Makes sense.
It doesn't "unpair" the device, it merely removes the Audio attribute from the device, such that when you do unplug it subsequently you only get "Phone" activity via BT.

This fact really does irk me - a lot. Every time you plug the phone into charge and it senses you might want to play music over the cable, when you next get back in you have to reconfigure the Audio attribute of the damm thing. Bozos.

:-/
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
It doesn't "unpair" the device, it merely removes the Audio attribute from the device, such that when you do unplug it subsequently you only get "Phone" activity via BT.

This fact really does irk me - a lot. Every time you plug the phone into charge and it senses you might want to play music over the cable, when you next get back in you have to reconfigure the Audio attribute of the damm thing. Bozos.

Definitely a big Itch....wonder why genius BMW IT engineers designed in such way. Now i rarely charge my phone
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I don't like it, but I understand why - it's more difficult to program for playing music from two sources for the same device.

Neither my personal iPhone or my work-required BlackBerry are configured for Bluetooth Audio. I look at my commute time as "mandatory device charging time", and have both phones hardwired while I'm driving. The upside is that I can't remember the last time that I ran out of battery charge on either device.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 AM
2014X3*****

Do you know whether new X3 have iPhone 5 snap ins...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinkhai View Post
Do you know whether new X3 have iPhone 5 snap ins...

Nope. Just picked up 2014 m sport on Monday and was told nothing yet. Bummer

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post

Yes, I used the word "unpair" incorrectly. I don't use my iPhone for phone activity, so it would have been only audio and it would disconnect bluetooth audio when I connected my phone via cable so it would just seem that it's not bluetooth connected at all.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:

Big thanks, Hardrada, I had the same problem and you found the bug. User error. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 40D M Sport
Quote:
Hi All,

Don't know if you have sorted this or not But here goes anyway, My son has a 2012 X3 and he is connected via bluetooth and he plays his music from his phone, he also streams music from it, he doesn't have Enhanced Bluetooth either.