Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Preview of BMW at the NY Auto Show - 3 Series GT and 328d

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

Preview of BMW at the 2013 NY Auto Show

Following BMW's pioneering philosophy of sustainable mobility, BMW will introduce the Concept Active Tourer for the first time in North America at the 2013 New York International Auto Show on Wednesday, March 27th at the BMW stand from 11:45 a.m. 12:05 p.m. at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan (655 W. 34th Street at 11th Avenue). The automaker will also feature two new additions to its award-winning 3 Series line-up, the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo and the diesel-powered BMW 328d.

BMW concept active tourer hybrid

Offering a glimpse of further innovations in store for the premium compact segment, BMW introduces the Concept Active Tourer a new plug-in hybrid concept which combines comfort and functionality with dynamics and style while showcasing several innovative solutions. Featuring an elongated wedge-shaped silhouette, athletic proportions and typical BMW lines, this concept car features a 3-cylinder gasoline engine coupled with an electric motor which allows for nearly 95 mpg. The Concept Active Tourer will also feature a "Cool Shade" composite glass roof which uses "Suspended Particle Device" technology allowing the driver to make the roof crystal clear or darken with the touch of a button.

Read more about the BMW Concept Active Tourer

BMW 3 Series GT at NY Auto Show

BMW first redefined the Gran Turismo segment with the BMW 5 Series GT by adding first-class seating for four with space for luggage and now introduces the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo. Based on the iconic BMW 3 Series, a car that has appeared on "Car and Driver's" 10 Best list for 22 consecutive years, the 3 Series GT features a longer wheelbase, more rear seat room and flexible luggage space with an optional panoramic moonroof. The 3 Series GT will arrive in the U.S. this summer and will be available with either an award-winning TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinder or inline 6-cylinder engine.

Read more about the 3 Series Gran Turismo

BMW 328d diesel power for the US

The diesel-powered BMW 328d will make its U.S. debut at this year's New York International Auto Show, joining the BMW 3 Series lineup and strengthening BMW's position as one of the country's most efficient automakers. The BMW 328d will be powered by a TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinder engine, delivering 180 hp and an impressive 280 lb-ft of torque propelling the vehicle from 0 to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds while getting mileage that could well exceed 40 mpg (official US EPA estimates will be available closer to the launch of the 328d). With the hallmark performance of a BMW 3 Series and increased efficiency of a diesel engine, the BMW 328d will serve as the new benchmark in its class.

Related: What do you want to know about the BMW 328d? We ask BMW for you

The slate of approved BMW Apps will expand to include new partnerships. Through these partnerships drivers will soon be able to listen to their favorite audiobooks read aloud, or share their location with friends and family. Music and radio fans will enjoy new functionality in their BMW via their mobile device.

BMW vehicle amenities will for the first time include a 4G LTE mobile hotspot accessory that connects with the car's antenna to provide blazing-fast wireless Internet speeds inside the car for devices such as laptops, iPad and smartphones.

BMW will also announce that, beginning later this year, most 2014 models will feature BMW Assist eCall emergency call service for 10 years as standard equipment as well as TeleService, which tracks vehicle maintenance needs and automatically alerts the driver and local dealer. BMW Assist eCall includes enhanced automatic collision notification that not only places an automatic call in the case of a collision but also, through a ground-breaking algorithm co-developed with the William Lehman Injury Research Center, can send an assessment of the likelihood of severe injury in order to better prepare first responders.

Also featured on the BMW stand will be the BMW designed two-man bobsled developed in collaboration with the USA Bobsled & Skeleton Federation (USBSF). BMW of North America is the Official Mobility Partner of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and has applied its world-class design expertise namely the application of BMW EfficientDynamics to pair intelligent lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber, with optimized aerodynamics to design the new sled. BMW hopes to help Team USA win its first Olympic gold medal in two-man men's bobsled since 1936.

Related: BMW designs bobsled for Team USA chasing Olympic gold

Last edited by tim330i; 03-15-2013 at 06:36 AM..
This article has been viewed 5321 times.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Joel

Mein Auto: E39
The 2 liter diesel that does the job on 3 er and 5 er in Europe and Asia has 177-184 bhp!. So, how does the 328D in the USA have only 180 bhp? There is also no 328D in Europe or Asia! The next engine size is the 2.5 Lt which is closer to 205 BHP....Is there a compromise in the US ?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi A3
I had read earlier that the Concept Active Tourer (1-series GT?) would not be coming to the US, but does the fact that BMW is showing it in NY mean that the do plan to offer it here? Has BMW in the past shown concept vehicles in the US that it has no plans to sell here? This is a vehicle that might interest me, but I wasn't holding out any hope it would be an option for me.