Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 523i
sat nav radio help required

I am new to this forum & have just purchased a 1999 540i Japanese import model in the UK.
I am very impressed with the vehicle but am confused with the 4.3 sat nav display screen.
The radio only goes to 90 MHz & I know I can get a convertor to enable me to get the full FM range in the UK.
The trouble is, I am not sure where the radio is located. I have looked behind the lh cover in the boot & could only see the cd changer & what I presume is the amplifier. Is the radio behind the dash unit? Also, the vehicle is supposed to have a TV fitted, where is the module for this & how can I change this from analogue to digital.
The sat nav CD player is located underneath the parcel shelf in the boot & doesn't have a cd\ DVD installed, what disc do I need to get this working. The last letters of the vin are gf10906, any help will be much appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

Please nip over and register on the UK centric bmw5.co.uk forum and in the Audio section there, post up your issue. An extremely knowledgeable member by the name of RichardP knows about the oem setups very well indeed. I vaguely, recall that there may be a setting for which you can change on the tuner setup to have UK frequencies stepping. Don't quote me on that though, it may well be that you do need a change in tuner module etc. I believe the Tuner module and Amplifier module are the within the same 'box' as it were, but again, don't quote me on that and will be in the rear side location in the car. The 4:3 oem monitor is just a monitor/dumb terminal as it were, there's no 'brains' contained within it nor any of the modules just behind it etc.

Most owners wish/want to update the monitor to a 16:9 widescreen unit and then want the Mk4 DVD disk based GPS computer. The GPS computer's usually are around 350-400 and the monitors for the correct E39 version around 150-300 depending on condition. If you'd like Digital TV, you'll need to throw out the now useless analogue TV module (that's if the Japanese spec unit you have is 100% confirmed as useless) and purchase an oem hybrid analogue/digital tuner. These are usually found for around 425-600.

Keep in mind also, that later this year, the government here will announce a 'switchoff' date for analogue radio broadcasts. AM, LW and SW will disappear altogether and FM will have a 'few' local radio stations dotted about the UK - all other major stations will move to Digital Radio only. *IF* you must keep all the oem audio setup, then the 'ONLY' solution for digital radio will be to purchase an Intravee 2 (around 150) device and *IF* you can find one, the Alpine T100 DAB tuner - which was discontinued perhaps 5-7 years ago now. The last couple that have been found by members were around 500 or so. The Intravee also has many more iBus capabilities and if you get the Alpine KCA420i interface unit, you can connect your iPod to the OEM setup through the Intravee.

You'll also get information on software versions and disks to buy for maps etc over on that forum too.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
A 1999 Japan spec 540i will probably have a C23 Oceania radio module and a NaviJ Nav computer. Does you display look anything like the attached picture (I know this is a wide screen Range Rover display but it's all I have!)?

Getting this to work in the UK will be almost impossible, it will be difficult to even swap out the components as the NaviJ uses a totally different connection. Jochen Siegenthaler, the author of NavCoder, knows a lot about modifying the NaviJ to normal Mk II/III/IV nav, there are a lot of Japanese import cars in New Zealand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAVIJ_display.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	373039  
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reply Richard, my head unit is a 4.3 display with a DVD navigation unit centrally located in the top of the boot. I have looked behind the left hand panel in the boot, and there appears to be only an amp, CD multi changer & a white box. I will investigate further at the weekend & try to upload some photos. I will also post this on to end of a previous thread on the site Dennis recommended last night, regards tim
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Hiline(ex Jap)
On the jap import E39 you have the radio module and tv module are located in the boot behind the back seat uprighrs.One behind the drivers side, the other behind the passengers side To access them you need to remove the boot liner section which covers the back seat
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Thanks for that Kiwiland, I did notice two square box like projections on the rear seat liner, so I will remove this & checkout what's behind it.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Well, stripped the boot out & this is what I found;

Sat Nav dvd player part no 65908376416
unit next to the sat nav alpine no q1t15578yq1-a (pioneer no GPS - R0286zz
tv unit 6902015
amp 8362444
radio c23 65128382365
I believe the amp is a "HIFI" unit & all 10 speakers seem to work.
I have included a pic of the dash unit.

Hope this helps in identifying what I have & what will work.

Cheers Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01724.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	373549  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
6902015 is a regular 4:3 TV module, which looks hopeful because you can connect a MK IV Nav directly to the blue connector and bypass anything else.

I have 65908376416 down as a Mk II Nav, but I have it marked with "Japanese?" so I'm not sure what that means! You say it is a DVD unit, which makes me think it's NOT a MK II.

Does it look like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NAVIJ.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	373998  
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the update, I have attached photo's of the DVD unit, regards Tim
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Hiline(ex Jap)
Hi Timbolina. The GPS computer unit in your photo is similar to that which was in my ex Jap E39 when it arrived. It can best be described as a DVD driven Mk3 which was supplied only to units originally exported to Japan.It will only work in Japan as it operates on a system used only in Japan. If you had an original Jap DVD in it (as mine did) it will tell you your current location is somewhere in Osaka and will show you your progress as if you were driving in a jap city, interesting to watch but useless as a working GPS! Only solution is to replace it with a mk3 or 4. Or as many people do buy one of the many modern and cheap separate GPS units on the market and mount it on the dash