Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
What would you do? CA ordered wrong part on my car.

Hi all
I ordered a 2013 Carbon Black X3 35i on March 2nd, the BMW website finally uploaded my car yesterday. The start build was 3/12/12 and I noticed it right away on 3/13 night. so 2 full days of building the car. Only problem is they ordered with the SILVER roof rails instead of the normal high gloss black roof rails in which i wanted. i never mentioned to the CA I wanted the silver roof rails and my work order form did not state silver roof rails. The default option on the BMW website is HIGH GLOSS BLACK when ordering the M package as i did. I wanted to have a black on black theme for this car and this totally throws it out the windows i feel. I would assume the CA OR MANAGER went click happy and checked off the wrong box on the computer.

1) who finalize the car order? is it the CA or the manager of the dealer? i would assume the CA prints/enters the order request then the manager has to review the order and give the final approval in the system. I would hate for the CA to get in any trouble for this as he is a nice HONEST person and made the sale easy going with no pressure.

The manager just called back at 5:20 today even tho i called them twice right when they opened at 9am and again at 10 then finally at 4pm. OF COURSE my CA was not in the office today. She stated they can not change the order as its already been done with the silver rails. I told her i can wait for another build slot as i dont really want this car with the silver rails if that is at all possible seeing as the 2014 are starting to be built real soon. Manager stated she is still working on it and hope is not all lost yet.

What would you guys do? how much of a discount would you guys ask for if they can not give me a new build slot, since it is clearly the dealer who caused the mix up.

Would have been nice if they had checked off the premium sound package instead lol.

Thanks for your replies

Last edited by guyver626; 03-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
I actually think the silver rails would look better on black and would tie in with the silver in front (e.g. grill, etc). That's just my opinion (but then again I stayed with black rails on my Space Gray MSport and like it,... go figure). See what you can work out with them but I wouldn't expect too much. In the grand scheme, it's a minor item. Still if it bothers you that much, tell them you won't accept the vehicle as is, period.

Last edited by noka; 03-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
I got to agree with the above post specially and you have carbon black which is far from being black, so your theory of black on black is already out the window. but to be honest I have black and i would've rathered satin silver roof rails to go with the beautiful grill and wheels.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
I would just have them rebuild the car exactly how you want it. For something as minor as rails (that is in the grand scheme of the car) I cant imagine they would give more then a couple hundred dollars off for it being wrong. You will see that car everyday, and if it is not exactly how you want it will kill you everytime you get into the car.

When I ordered mine 2 1/2 weeks ago they said they could not order anymore 2013, looks like you were able to. Heck, at this point you can get a 2014 if they re-order and I would ask for money off of that since you had to wait longer for it to come! Then you can have the best of both worlds, built how you want and some more $ off!!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I was planning to change out the grill to the black grill in the near future. Which is more towards the black on black.

I'm still on the fence on what to do.
My wife suggests since I was planning on getting the 5 year tire warranty anyways for $1450 to ask for the tire warranty at $750 and to take the car as is when it arrives.
That way dealer still makes $750 more since most of the warrantees are almost all profit anyway and im not the type to abuse the tire warranty.
I can live with the silver rails as long as they can work with me.

Do u guys think that's fair? I understand they are a business and dont want to be a pain, nickel and diming them but I've been planning and saving for this car for over 2 years and never thought this would happen.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
No doubt you should end up with EXACTLY the car you wanted and ordered. If you can't get to a point of being totally happy with the silver rails, then complain and insist on whatever is required to get you what you wanted. Or, learn to love the silver rails. Personally I like them better in silver on black (kind of striking, actually). But if you're going for the pure blackness vibe, it's going to detract from that.

I don't think you'll get far with asking for a discount on the tire warranty. They will probably perceive that as a customer who is not totally dissatisfied with the silver rails to walk away from the deal and is using it as a bargaining chip to get more discount. They might throw you a couple hundred $ to make this go away, or not. It might set up an awkward situation where they say "no" or offer you some token $100 discount or something, and then you're stuck in a take-it-or-leave-it situation that would leave you unhappy on multiple levels. Your leverage to get them to build you a shiny new one to your specs will be reduced. I would go full bore one way or the other -- learn to love it, or insist they do it right for you. JMHO.

(I'm not an expert by any means on the tire warranties, but generally speaking the warranties are not 100 % pure profit to the dealership, more like 40 %. Their "cost" on a $1450 warranty is probably about $1000, even if it's more of an internal bookkeeping p&l than a real cash thing. No way you'll get it for $750 imho).

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i

Last edited by Hardrada; 03-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figure $750 is abit extreme. I am willing to walk away if they can't work with me at all. I'm ok with $500 off the tire warranty also. I want the black rails but I can live with the silver. Just wouldn't be 100% satisfied but ill will make due with it. I'll find out tomorrow when my CA calls me back tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Your offer is more than fair. In the end you should get the car the way you want it. That being said, I recently received my X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black with satin silver aluminum rails. IMO the silver rails provides a nice countervailing balance to the 19 inch wheels and chrome accents in the BMW kidneys. I would have ordered the car with black rails, but when I was testing cars last December, I came close to purchasing an X5 5.0 M Sport CB which came with silver rails. I thought silver was a hot distinctive accent in the flesh on the X5 5.0 M Sport, and likewise, it is a hot accent on my X3 M Sport. One proviso, if you are going to mod your X3 with all black kidneys, then the black rails might provide a more cohesive overall look.
To reiterate - you worked two years for this car - you should get the car the way you want it.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
You're the customer - you don't have to do anything. If they ordered the vehicle wrong, tell them you either want it fixed or don't buy it. If they won't re-order for you, go to a different dealer.

Don't let them tell you what you can and can't do. Until you accept deliver of the car you're in charge.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Who does the final ordering? Does the CA print/enter the details of the car and the manager gives the final ok to proceed to order? Reason I ask, is the CA is a good guy and I don't want to place the full blame on him.

I find it hard to believe they would let one person in charge of ordering $30,000+ cars without someone else looking at it also and doing a final approval.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
You're the customer - you don't have to do anything. If they ordered the vehicle wrong, tell them you either want it fixed or don't buy it. If they won't re-order for you, go to a different dealer.

Don't let them tell you what you can and can't do. Until you accept deliver of the car you're in charge.
yea, except the dealer has your deposit.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I would insist on black roof rails, especially if you can show it's their error. Add black kidneys and that's a hot look!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Just got the call from my CA. He said he is 99.9% sure it's black as the work order does not state silver rails at all. But he won't know for sure till it comes in. Said the BMW website is wrong. I really hope he's right.

The order process is the CA enters the order, then we both review it, and both of us sign off on it (we both have a copy of the work order) and then the manager looks it over again before placing the order to Spartenburg.
Thanks all for your replies. I'll keep u updated.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Just got the call from my CA. He said he is 99.9% sure it's black as the work order does not state silver rails at all. But he won't know for sure till it comes in. Said the BMW website is wrong. I really hope he's right.

The order process is the CA enters the order, then we both review it, and both of us sign off on it (we both have a copy of the work order) and then the manager looks it over again before placing the order to Spartenburg.
Thanks all for your replies. I'll keep u updated.
That's how the process was for me, but the order placer could always fat-finger it. In that case, you deserve to get what you ordered. I happen to agree with you, the satin rails wouldn't look good. (Of course, cosmetic is always a personal issue.)

My order - in Finishing Touches status! - was correct online. The website being wrong sounds a bit sketchy to me, but then again, I work in the tech industry. I've seen worse.

(Edit: Satin rails wouldn't look good in the OP's combo. My config has them and I think they look great.)

Previously owned:
  • 2004 X3 3.0
  • 1997 328is

Last edited by wpattison; 03-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
How hard for the delaer to order balck rails and replace them? If someone has damage to the roof and these things get trashed, it's gotta be a servicable part, no?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I wouldn't give them the chance to mess something up -- mine leaves scratches every time they touch the car. I now have to do walk-throughs with them before I leave my car for service!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
How hard for the delaer to order balck rails and replace them? If someone has damage to the roof and these things get trashed, it's gotta be a servicable part, no?
I saw elsewhere on this forum that an X3 had to be reordered because the rails were wrong and the dealership said it's something they cannot or will not change themselves.

Previously owned:
  • 2004 X3 3.0
  • 1997 328is
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
My brother used a product called PlastiDip. It's basically a plastic that is sprayed onto the surface to change the colour. It can be pealed off... might be an option.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. As of now it will be a waiting game until it finally comes in. I'll let u guys know what happens.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
They are correct in telling you the website is often wrong. There have been many people that posted they ordered one thing and the website showed another. When the car came in it was exactly as ordered. Often times it was something big too, like "ordered a white X3" and website was showing a black X3. Either way, it sounds like the dealer will make it right if it comes in incorrectly. My dealer screwed up my order and left the premium sound off the order and had the wrong rims on as well. They let me keep the incorrect X3 as a loaner for a month until the new replacement came in. They also paid for my gas while I had the loaner! Couldn't have been any happier with the way they handled things.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM

UPDATE: the dealer was incorrect, Im guessing they had clicked off the silver rails and didnt realize it. The BMW website was correct... that being said they were able to find another build slot for my car and build me a new one without taking hold of this current into their inventory. Im glad it was a win, win for every one. It only caused a 1 week delay which i can live with.

I KNOW you read these forums PACE BMW! Thank for correcting this!

The sales person Dennis Liu was great with the whole process!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Glad everything turned out well!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 96Impreza,07Vette,11X335i
".... the BMW website finally uploaded my car yesterday....."
What was "uploaded". assembly video, production/assembly order? Our production video, which we didn't see until after we got the car, showed a car with wrong wheels but car was delivered OK. I suspect that the video was not of our car.
'11 BMW X3 35i, white
Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post

I KNOW you read these forums PACE BMW! Thank for correcting this!
lol, how do u know?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Lol cuz they are one of the sponsors here.