Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Depends on how much of an OCD you have.

If you dont really care, heck it run through a couple car washes dont matter, as long as the car has no dirt on it.

If you really care, stay the heck away. If you have the $$$ get a detailer, if not or you have time on your hands, DIY

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: B8 S4, E70 X5d
never, ever. i prefer to have a car that is swirl free and therfore take care of it myself. i don't care what color it is. you find time. its that simple.

people that do not wash their cars themselves do not value the appeal of a swirl free finish, if they did, they would not go to a car spa, or have the dealer wash, or touchless, or whatever. they use poor products and towels, and they wash a million cars with the same stuff that is washing yours.

touchless are the worst because the checmicals they use to break down dirt/grime and grease will also strip waxes (leaving your paint unprotected), and over time, the clear will dull.

but if you don't care about any of that stuff and you think that the car spa down the street does a good job like 90% of people do, then go for it. you know what they say...ignorance is bliss
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 50i
My last car was dark blue and after three years had a good amount of swirls. I hand washed most of the time and kinda of knew when I created scratches. But I also did the car wash a few times, and those swirls were much worse. My new car is white and I use the two bucket system only with nice microfiber towels. Takes about 45min-1 hour to clean and dry with the wheels. FYI I Zaino'd my car and that helps a lot - quicker to clean and to keep clean.

But it only matters if you care about such things...

The only story about damage that I remember was in a post, a while back, where the car wash ruined their wheel - i think they were low profile. It was one of those gas station drive in washers
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabes View Post
never, ever. i prefer to have a car that is swirl free and therfore take care of it myself. i don't care what color it is. you find time. its that simple.

people that do not wash their cars themselves do not value the appeal of a swirl free finish, if they did, they would not go to a car spa, or have the dealer wash, or touchless, or whatever. they use poor products and towels, and they wash a million cars with the same stuff that is washing yours.

touchless are the worst because the checmicals they use to break down dirt/grime and grease will also strip waxes (leaving your paint unprotected), and over time, the clear will dull.

but if you don't care about any of that stuff and you think that the car spa down the street does a good job like 90% of people do, then go for it. you know what they say...ignorance is bliss
People that live in apartments or condos usually have a harder time washing their own cars.. especially if they live in NY area...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
The number one reason I take mine to a car spa type place is the brake dust...if you dont control that your wheels will go to **** very quickly. I had a 550i for 3+ years and the wheels looked brand new for that reason.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR328 View Post
My last car was dark blue and after three years had a good amount of swirls.

I have a dark blue Infiniti, so I feel your pain.

The only color I'm going to get in the future is a medium silver.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: B8 S4, E70 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
People that live in apartments or condos usually have a harder time washing their own cars.. especially if they live in NY area...
true, BUT there's always a way...

we lived in an apartment for 5 months while our house was being built, and under those circumstances, I went to one of those car wash bays with the water sprayers, set it on water only, and washed it with my own products, buckets, drying towels, etc. but again, i hate swirls and having to rewax because a chemical stripped it. so i do whatever it takes to do everything myself
Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

we lived in an apartment for 5 months while our house was being built, and under those circumstances, I went to one of those car wash bays with the water sprayers, set it on water only, and washed it with my own products, buckets, drying towels, etc. but again, i hate swirls and having to rewax because a chemical stripped it. so i do whatever it takes to do everything myself
Welcome to the club. Same here. I'll even admit that on long road trips I would take a bucket of supplies, a subset of the normal stuff, and fill it up at a hotel - drive to the self wash, and hand wash then rinse. Sick.

We all have different thresholds for what is acceptable- that may be the most important message of this thread: that one person can swear car washes are fine and paint looks great, yet others are apoplectic if the wife closes the door with her hand on the (gasp) paint. Both are telling THEIR truth.

A
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:

Yes, in a perfect world.. this would be a solution but even the self serve washes are rare in NYC.. Out in the country these self washing spray areas are all over the place..
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Welcome to the club. Same here. I'll even admit that on long road trips I would take a bucket of supplies, a subset of the normal stuff, and fill it up at a hotel - drive to the self wash, and hand wash then rinse. Sick.

We all have different thresholds for what is acceptable- that may be the most important message of this thread: that one person can swear car washes are fine and paint looks great, yet others are apoplectic if the wife closes the door with her hand on the (gasp) paint. Both are telling THEIR truth.

A
And yet you gave the "go Google it" response instead of giving a short answer to the orange peel question above...we all have different thresholds for forum helpfulness I guess, too.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
And yet you gave the "go Google it" response instead of giving a short answer to the orange peel question above...
I'm always hesitant to explain orange peel to people. Until you explain it, many people never see it. Then once they see it, they are unhappy with their paint job. But in the end, I explain it.

I'm not sure how helpful it really is the provide people with a bite from the "Tree of Knowledge" if they're currently happy with their paint.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sport wagon, X5 3.0
oh ya

Hi amt7565
My X5 takes me skiing on Mt. Hood on a regular basis. Our local Washman carwash is a must also on a regular basis. Compared to the sand and gravel spread on our highway to help keep motorists from careening into one another, the carwash is a non-issue
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

If I had to go through a car wash, I wouldn't dry the car unless I carefully pad dry with clean microfiber towels which immediately go in the washer.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: German
I mainly use touchless car washes at gas stations, etc.

It's a necessity in the winter, unless I life having a half-white/dirt car in the winter-time
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
I have never ran my X thru the wash, I use Chemical Guy's waterless car wash, takes me about 15 minutes to clean my car in the garage, I use quick spray wax to clean the wheels and a dry cloth every other day to wipe the brake dust off. I will admit when I take a roadtrip
to pu my son from college in South Carolina, I am probably a sick person to be cleaning the brake dust off my wheels in the hotel parking lot
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
It doesnt matter how bad you wash your car by hand, it will be better than any machine wash, so lets get it on!!! like Olivia Newton John....physical.....!!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to amt7565
Mein Auto: 2005 330i
It's now a month since I bought my X5. It's so dirty, it looks like an old beatup X5, while I ponder if to do it myself or take it someplace. Time for a wash. I took my 330i to the spa the past 4 years and now suddenly I feel lazy to start washing cars all over again. I am a lot older now, my knees creek and my eyes blur and I wonder, why must I work my body to save the paint?

I am going to visit Autozone today and look around to see if there might be any new products that simplifies car washes these days. If not, I say "SCREW IT!". I am taking it to the spa.

If you have suggestions on helpful products, please chime in

2013 X5 White| Base Model|
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565 View Post
It's now a month since I bought my X5. It's so dirty, it looks like an old beatup X5, while I ponder if to do it myself or take it someplace. Time for a wash. I took my 330i to the spa the past 4 years and now suddenly I feel lazy to start washing cars all over again. I am a lot older now, my knees creek and my eyes blur and I wonder, why must I work my body to save the paint?

I am going to visit Autozone today and look around to see if there might be any new products that simplifies car washes these days. If not, I say "SCREW IT!". I am taking it to the spa.

If you have suggestions on helpful products, please chime in
If you are in Houston, there are afew, just a few, detailers that will come out to your house, set up a tent and wash/detail your car for you...not cheap, but worth the dollars to get it super clean first, then you can maintain it with regular hand washing going forward. I know exactly what you mean when you say your car looks like its "old beatup X5"...i see so many space grey ones driving around like that. But your white one should clean up nicely.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Alot of BMWs are leased today, and since there is no long term commitment from the people who drive them, many get treated in the most convenient way possible...so unless you are also doing some "old school" maintenance, i am not surprise that exterior care is nothing more than just running these cars through car washes each week.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
This also depends on just how anal you are about your paint. Just because you use a car wash does not mean you are abusing your car. Some people just don't put paint as their number one priority. I am sure if people on this board saw my dirty m3 and x5 with swirl marks they would shoot me but the mechanicals and fluid maintenance are old school. So i may not treat my exterior like it is a million dollar car, it sure runs like one
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500

Last edited by MRV99; 03-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to amt7565
Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Monthly washes vs weekly washes would probably reduce the harsh impacts on the paint I suppose.

2013 X5 White| Base Model|
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565 View Post
Monthly washes vs weekly washes would probably reduce the harsh impacts on the paint I suppose.
Although if you wait that long any missed water spots could etch in.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM

If you don't know how to do a proper 2 bucket wash, then go through the car wash if you wish.

Just don't swirl around the microfiber towels while drying. PAT dry, and then immediately wash the microfiber towels in the washer.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
my dirty m3 and x5 with swirl marks

This stuff can be fixed. Although this is another topic altogether.

Last edited by RockChips; 03-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I mainly use touchless car washes at gas stations, etc.

I really hope they don't dry the car after. Touchless car washes don't remove all the dirt. Think sandpaper.