Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Afe scorcher vs SS Turbo Tuner 2 vs JB+ Tuner

so im new to the whole bimmer upgrades after having owned hondas and infinitis and would like some extra power added on my 07 335i. I've been researching and found 3 different modules. Seems like people suggest the JB but i havent really found anything on the Afe scorcher. Does anyone recommend it over the JB+? Also if I do go the JB+ route, will it harm the engine in any way (ie, burnout pistons from over boosting too much)

Thanks for the help guys
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybarra408 View Post
so im new to the whole bimmer upgrades after having owned hondas and infinitis and would like some extra power added on my 07 335i. I've been researching and found 3 different modules. Seems like people suggest the JB but i havent really found anything on the Afe scorcher. Does anyone recommend it over the JB+? Also if I do go the JB+ route, will it harm the engine in any way (ie, burnout pistons from over boosting too much)

Thanks for the help guys
Umm Brands like Burger and Cobb have so many users that the reliability alone would make me never consider "Afe"

JB4, Cobb AP, Proceed exc. they are creating extra stress on the car so its rational to think some cars could have added stress induced issues. That said if tomorrow I saw a thread that said car died jb4/cobb it would be VERY VERY rare for these forums and thats with people logging tons of miles with the tunes. The n54 is an amazing motor and can take a lot.

Good under the hood
JB4

Don't wanna do work yourself or want to keep it simple
Cobb AP

make sure your car has an oil cooler especially with summer around the corner.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Agree, JB4 or COBB are the best choices. Stay away from anything that you are not hearing about on these sites or does not have a large user base. We have a bit of fun whacking each other over the tunes but both are safe & perform very well when used as directed.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
make sure your car has an oil cooler
Depends on the circumstances and tune... Unless he's tracking, OP won't need an oil cooler if he decides on a moderate tune like the Cobb AP Stage 1 Drive or Sport.

No reason for him to spend money when it's not needed.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Depends on the circumstances and tune... Unless he's tracking, OP won't need an oil cooler if he decides on a moderate tune like the Cobb AP Stage 1 Drive or Sport.

No reason for him to spend money when it's not needed.
I don't have one and on the base stage 1 in 30-50 degree weather was seeing as high as 245. Summer if its 80-100 and you're sitting a lot or going WOT, you're telling me its not possible to be well past the middle?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

BMW, famous for over-engineering, does very very well with mainstream tunes. Of those, JB4 and Proceed have the best function and user interface as features can be used while driving.

There is Cobb, but any change requires a stop to manually load a different map with a hand held unit that plugs into the OBDII port - ugly.

There's Dinan, rather limited and expensive; low bang fer buck.

JB4 is the market leader mainly due to Procede's default - they've pretty much abandoned BMW, and that's too bad - their more agressive maps were mighty good.

Engine issues have been noted, but not within the intended use for commercial tunes. JB4 for instance has a user defined map, a dangerous and unforgiving place if inexperienced. Some with larger turbos than BMW's have massive buildup and other issues - not a problem with standard tunes & engines. You play, you pay - then again, take a peek at this!

Hey, photo-doc your build right here....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-16-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
I don't have one and on the base stage 1 in 30-50 degree weather was seeing as high as 245. Summer if its 80-100 and you're sitting a lot or going WOT, you're telling me its not possible to be well past the middle?
These engines are meant to run warm... 245 is normal.

I'd be concerned if I was seeing the mid-upper temp band, but someone pulling a lot of WOT runs should be more worried about upgrading their FMIC or they'll quickly go limp with heat soak.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
These engines are meant to run warm... 245 is normal.

I'd be concerned if I was seeing the mid-upper temp band, but someone pulling a lot of WOT runs should be more worried about upgrading their FMIC or they'll quickly go limp with heat soak.
Thats what I'm saying (and what I worry about). If come May and its 102 and I'm trying to beat a guy down the highway (or sitting in some of the worst traffic in the country) its not unreasonable to think with Stage1,Stage1+, Stage1+FMIC (which I'll start running next week), that the temps would reach that upper band.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

For what its worth I have oil, water, secondary water, FMIC, & water pump speed up (if I want it). Car runs about 1.5 hash marks before the 250 degree mark for oil temp. The water temp stays at two hash marks before the 1/8 tank fuel level mark in the summer. Don't know what that equates to in temp other than its consistent. Winter will drop the needle about 1 hash mark for both.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
BMW, famous for over-engineering, does very very well with mainstream tunes. Of those, JB4 and Proceed have the best function and user interface as features can be used while driving.

There is Cobb, but any change requires a stop to manually load a different map with a hand held unit that plugs into the OBDII port - ugly.

There's Dinan, rather limited and expensive; low bang fer buck.

JB4 is the market leader mainly due to Procede's default - they've pretty much abandoned BMW, and that's too bad - their more agressive maps were mighty good.

Engine issues have been noted, but not within the intended use for commercial tunes. JB4 for instance has a user defined map, a dangerous and unforgiving place to be if inexperienced. Some with larger turbos than BMW designed for have massive buildup and other issues - not a problem with standard tunes & engines. You play, you pay - then again, take a peek at this!

Hey, photo-doc your build right here....

the thing ive heard about using a Cobb App is that if you tune really high, you can take the risk of burning out your pistons assuming you drive fast every day which is what i kinda do. this is why i was looking at the JB+ tune cause the tune seems to have a limit and maybe not so hard on the engine and i havent really seen any threads talking about engine problems due to a JB+ add on
Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
For what its worth I have oil, water, secondary water, FMIC, & water pump speed up (if I want it). Car runs about 1.5 hash marks before the 250 degree mark for oil temp. The water temp stays at two hash marks before the 1/8 tank fuel level mark in the summer. Don't know what that equates to in temp other than its consistent. Winter will drop the needle about 1 hash mark for both.

i actually looked into a FMIC and found one that also has an add on oil cooler.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_135_...oil_combo.html

would this suffice?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Agree, JB4 or COBB are the best choices. Stay away from anything that you are not hearing about on these sites or does not have a large user base. We have a bit of fun whacking each other over the tunes but both are safe & perform very well when used as directed.
ok so im looking a bit more into the Cobb App and found off tunermotorsports a combo deal with CAI. Only problem is, i live in California and smog is all bad here so im assuming just doing the Cobb App minus the CAI is the only choice i really have and from what I'm understanding here (correct me if im wrong on this) if I go the Cobb/JB+/JB4 tuner routes, i dont need to add on that pedal box or sprint booster for the added throttle response.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
the thing ive heard about using a Cobb App is that if you tune really high, you can take the risk of burning out your pistons assuming you drive fast every day which is what i kinda do. this is why i was looking at the JB+ tune cause the tune seems to have a limit and maybe not so hard on the engine and i havent really seen any threads talking about engine problems due to a JB+ add on

You might be talking about their $3,000 add-on software....? Give us a reference! Have heard of no destructive engine issues w/std Cobb tuner.

You'll be happier with JB4 than JB+
Old 03-16-2013, 03:10 AM

I've only heard this from mechanics at local shops. I live in san jose CA, and have been going to the same guy for over 10 years but he's really against working on euro cars cause they are very sensitive so Im gonna have to look for a new shop that specializes in bmw's and wont rape me in labor prices..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
the thing ive heard about using a Cobb App is that if you tune really high, you can take the risk of burning out your pistons
Quote:
I've only heard this from mechanics at local shops.
Not meaning to sound rude, but you should consider doing some research of your own before you start tuning your car. Listening to what are basically pure hypotheticals about excessively high oil temps and burning pistons isn't the best way to get started.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 03-16-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I've only heard this from mechanics at local shops. I live in san jose CA, and have been going to the same guy for over 10 years but he's really against working on euro cars cause they are very sensitive so Im gonna have to look for a new shop that specializes in bmw's and wont rape me in labor prices..

A mech against working on European cars? Hey, they're a gold mine....what's he playing at?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Quote:
i actually looked into a FMIC and found one that also has an add on oil cooler.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_135_...oil_combo.html

would this suffice?
I really don't know...does your car have one now, if it does it should be good enough. On the other issue get a new shop the one you have is feeding you fodder byproducts. The are no reliable reports of major issues with any of the major tunes even the ones I really don't like.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-16-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
A mech against working on European cars? Hey, they're a gold mine....what's he playing at?
yeah they're all about nissans and hondas really..
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I really don't know...does your car have one now, if it does it should be good enough. On the other issue get a new shop the one you have is feeding you fodder byproducts. The are no reliable reports of major issues with any of the major tunes even the ones I really don't like.
not sure if my car has a oil cooler or not, gonna ask the dealer if mine came with it... So this is what im looking at now, JB4, FMIC, charge pipe w/BOV and oil cooler if i don't have one already..what do you think about this little combo? anything else I need to add if i do these 3 upgrades?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

You can see it just look inside the front of the wheel well, don't remember which side is oil I have a cooler in both. Looks like a small radiator tucked behind some louvers. I would skip the charge pipe unless you are going all the way in mods. Personally don't see any value in a BOV other then some guys like the noise. I am more of a sleeper fan, even my BMS decals are black.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You can see it just look inside the front of the wheel well, don't remember which side is oil I have a cooler in both. Looks like a small radiator tucked behind some louvers. I would skip the charge pipe unless you are going all the way in mods. Personally don't see any value in a BOV other then some guys like the noise. I am more of a sleeper fan, even my BMS decals are black.

Pass side....
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
ok ill look at it tomorrow, thanks for the help guys, will keep posted on my progress..looking into the mods this weekend... If i don't do the charge pipe, i may go with a short shifter cause im so use to driving my infiniti g35 that came with a short shifter...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I've got a 128i as a loaner wow those little cars are fun in the turns.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Quote:
I've got a 128i as a loaner wow those little cars are fun in the turns.
Agree The 135is is replacing a 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT convert. Did not want a steel roof convertible, makes me a dinosaur I guess. The car is 400lbs lighter with the same size tires as the stock 335is convert. The overall package is close to the 330 in size & weight but with a bit about 100hp more zip.

Its a bit over two weeks out now. Going to be picking up the plate next week to take to South Carolina so we can take delivery & drive it home.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-19-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Agree The 135is is replacing a 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT convert. Did not want a steel roof convertible, makes me a dinosaur I guess. The car is 400lbs lighter with the same size tires as the stock 335is convert. The overall package is close to the 330 in size & weight but with a bit about 100hp more zip.

Its a bit over two weeks out now. Going to be picking up the plate next week to take to South Carolina so we can take delivery & drive it home.
Seriously I tend to roll my eyes at 1's and while the 28i kinda sucks in the straight, just thinking about that little package with an n54 I think that would be EPIC fun and with upgraded suspensions OMFG!

This week being done to the car

Bumper Respray + upgraded grills (got it quoted for $750 and I get to keep the 128i longer...I doubt I could find a shop willing to respray for less than 300-500+ the hassle of getting a different loaner, just worth it to pay to get it done at the dealer)
FMIC
Stage 3 suspension
Laser interceptors

I cannot wait till Friday/Saturday when I get the cobb back on it