Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T
Security wheel bolts

Are security wheel bolts interchangeable between brands or the thread size is different? (I know you will tell me to do and try it, but maybe someone knows already). I have a set of security wheel bolts on my E90 and was wondering if I can put them on my Audi A6 and save myself $75.

Thanks
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro , Glacier White/Nougat Leather | Wood trim | Premium Plus: Nav & Google Earth, MMI, Xenons, Parktronic, Rear view camera, Satellite Radio, Google Search, WiFi hot spot | Cold Weather Package | Audi Side Assist

SOLD: '06 BMW 330xi, Sparkling Graphite/Terra Leather | Aluminum trim | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Comfort Access | Satellite Radio | Rear Power Sunshade | Parktronic | Rear Deck Spoiler | Logic 7
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Unlikely. Though the threads may be the same (that is likely) you need to ensure that the length and the conical shaped seating area are identical.
Edit: Save your money. The wheel thieves have the tools to remove your theftproof lug bolts. I have a nice set to use on the wheels of all my customers who have lost their removal key. Doesn't slow me down at all. Unfortunately for them it ruins the locking lug.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 03-15-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Unlikely. Though the threads may be the same (that is likely) you need to ensure that the length and the conical shaped seating area are identical.
Edit: Save your money. The wheel thieves have the tools to remove your theftproof lug bolts. I have a nice set to use on the wheels of all my customers who have lost their removal key. Doesn't slow me down at all. Unfortunately for them it ruins the locking lug.
+1
anyone (read: wheel thieves) can buy the lock removal tools fairly inexpensively and easily. amazon sells them.

it will likely cause you more grief than good.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T
Hmmm... I don't have expensive wheels, so no thief will specifically target those, just trying to prevent some yahoos who would do it just for fun. But I see your points...
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro , Glacier White/Nougat Leather | Wood trim | Premium Plus: Nav & Google Earth, MMI, Xenons, Parktronic, Rear view camera, Satellite Radio, Google Search, WiFi hot spot | Cold Weather Package | Audi Side Assist

SOLD: '06 BMW 330xi, Sparkling Graphite/Terra Leather | Aluminum trim | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | Nav | Comfort Access | Satellite Radio | Rear Power Sunshade | Parktronic | Rear Deck Spoiler | Logic 7
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireSmoke View Post
Hmmm... I don't have expensive wheels, so no thief will specifically target those, just trying to prevent some yahoos who would do it just for fun. But I see your points...
I'm with you. Its kind of like the issue with the alarm system at my house. Its certainly not sophisticated enough to keep out a determined thief. But,I'm more worried about the local meth addict who tries to get into the front door with a screw driver.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
+1
anyone (read: wheel thieves) can buy the lock removal tools fairly inexpensively and easily. amazon sells them.

it will likely cause you more grief than good.
All you need is a socket which is slightly smaller than the locking lug nut. One quick hit with a mallet and it socket covers the lug nut and you just twist it off. No special tools required.