Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Goofed on the headlights

I just placed an order for a new 2013 328i drive. And I am very UNHAPPY! At 3am the night I signed the sales agreement I woke up and thought "Xenon headlights!" I called my sales rep at 9am the next day and asked them to change the order to add the lighting package. He said it was too late, the order could not be changed. I checked via telephone, and BMW said my status was 112. Everything I've read about this problem on the web indicated that I should still be able to change the order.

So I go back in this morning (day 2 now) and talk to the sales manager. He says no, my order is in production, status 150. Nothing can be changed. It had flipped to in production, 150, at 3am (about 12 hrs) after I placed the order. They don't want to allow me to place another order and get stuck having to sell my first ordered car, since I got a "driver's car" and did not get the premium or tech packages, etc.

The car I ordered was
328i xdrive in Alpine White
Sport Line
Black Leatherette interior
Dynamic Handling Package
Sport Auto Trans with paddles
Moonroof
HK Stereo

Now instead of being a happy new BMW to be owner, I am feeling sick and pissed off. No mention of the value of lighting kit was made to me during the sales negotiation. I called the dealer to change the order less than 18 hours after closing the deal. It's ironic that I wanted fast delivery, but locking in the order in less than 24 hours seems way too fast.

I am seriously considering walking away from the car, and my $500 deposit. I am getting a bit older and now I realize the Xenons are pretty important. After market kits look like a big hassle and of dubious legal status , and getting a BMW retrofit is prohibitively expensive. So it looks like this is a now or never situation.

I am afraid if I take this car, every time I drive it at night I will be annoyed. I keep my cars a long time. Over 10 years I'll be driving it at night at least 1000-2000 times. So eating my $500 deposit amounts to a 50 cents per drive or less penalty for avoiding this annoyance.

So I am having this moral dilemma. It's mostly my fault. I should have got my order right the first time, but the dealer should have advised me about the lights before placing the order, and they sure locked me in fast, in less than 24 hrs, giving me little time to change things. If they would just let me reorder it would make me so happy.

What should I do? Eat the deposit and go to another dealer and order what I really want? OR suck it up like a man, accept my mistake and just live with the car?

Last edited by terryn; 03-15-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Too much money to be unhappy. Normally there would have been plenty of time to change your order, weird how fast this went.

Tell them you are walking and will not be able to do business with them ever again, including having your car serviced there. Make it seem like you are 100% sure you are buying from another dealer, name drop people you have spoken to that want your business. See what they are willing to do to make it right.

The car you ordered is not hard for them to sell, its as an Xdrive and most cars on the lot dont have the lighting package. I swooped in and took over an order for cheap because I told the dealer, good luck taking in a 6spd manual with bluetooth delete. Your car is not some oddity.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
As a person who on two previous cars had Xenons, and now has the standard F30 halogens, DO NOT COMPROMISE!. I didn't have the luxury of ordering and had to buy from the dealer stock. Believe me, if you lose your $500 and walk away from the current order, it will still be worth it. Trying to retrofit an HID replacement will be expensive and it will never be the same as OEM adaptive lighting.

Plus, when push comes to shove, the dealer will most likely cave. If not, I'm sure there are many other BMW dealerships in NJ who would love to have your business. Plus I don't think your car is that weird of a configuration and they would have no problem selling it as stock. Mine is a 328i Sportline - BSM - Sport Auto - Power Seats - Moonroof - Enhanced BT; very similar to your car and was in dealer stock. Remember, this is a 3-series; a car that has a larger potential customer base than other models. If it was some 6-series Gran Coupe with a host of weird BMW Individual options, I could see their point, but I don't think it's really all that hard to sell a 3 series.
'89 635 CSI - 4AT
'99 323is - 5MT
'97 328is - 5MT
'12 328i Sportline - 8AT Sport

Non-BMW Cars:
'95 Saab 900 SE - 5MT
'07 Infiniti G35 - 6MT
'08 VW GLI - 6MT

Last edited by diesel86; 03-15-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
The F30 halogens have all the light of a candle on a pole 30' in front of the car. Xenons really are a must.

If it takes losing $500, it is well worth it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
It's ironic that I wanted fast delivery, but locking in the order in less than 24 hours seems way too fast.
Not to sidetrack the thread but this is indeed uber fast. Many of us have been waiting long weeks for our cars to enter production after placing the order. I placed mine at the end of December. Delivery will most likely happen some time in April (I am doing PCD so that delays the process by at least another few weeks but still...)

Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I just placed an order for a new 2013 328i drive. And I am very UNHAPPY! At 3am the night I signed the sales agreement I woke up and thought "Xenon headlights!" I called my sales rep at 9am the next day and asked them to change the order to add the lighting package. He said it was too late, the order could not be changed. I checked via telephone, and BMW said my status was 112. Everything I've read about this problem on the web indicated that I should still be able to change the order.

So I go back in this morning (day 2 now) and talk to the sales manager. He says no, my order is in production, status 150. Nothing can be changed. It had flipped to in production, 150, at 3am (about 12 hrs) after I placed the order. They don't want to allow me to place another order and get stuck having to sell my first ordered car, since I got a "driver's car" and did not get the premium or tech packages, etc.

The car I ordered was
328i xdrive in Alpine White
Sport Line
Black Leatherette interior
Dynamic Handling Package
Sport Auto Trans with paddles
Moonroof
HK Stereo

Now instead of being a happy new BMW to be owner, I am feeling sick and pissed off. No mention of the value of lighting kit was made to me during the sales negotiation. I called the dealer to change the order less than 18 hours after closing the deal. It's ironic that I wanted fast delivery, but locking in the order in less than 24 hours seems way too fast.

I am seriously considering walking away from the car, and my $500 deposit. I am getting a bit older and now I realize the Xenons are pretty important. After market kits look like a big hassle and of dubious legal status , and getting a BMW retrofit is prohibitively expensive. So it looks like this is a now or never situation.

I am afraid if I take this car, every time I drive it at night I will be annoyed. I keep my cars a long time. Over 10 years I'll be driving it at night at least 1000-2000 times. So eating my $500 deposit amounts to a 50 cents per drive or less penalty for avoiding this annoyance.

So I am having this moral dilemma. It's mostly my fault. I should have got my order right the first time, but the dealer should have advised me about the lights before placing the order, and they sure locked me in fast, in less than 24 hrs, giving me little time to change things. If they would just let me reorder it would make me so happy.

What should I do? Eat the deposit and go to another dealer and order what I really want? OR suck it up like a man, accept my mistake and just live with the car?
Deposits are refundable virtually 100% of the time. Exceptions to that rule are exceedingly rare. Cancel your order. Tell the dealer they can reorder the car or give you back your money and you will go to another dealer. Regardless of what they tell you it is not going to be very difficult for them to sell the car you originally ordered.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Agreed. Tell them to cancel it. I am having a hard time believing it went from ordered one day, to in production the very next day. Either way, back out and get your money. If they play nice reorder with them if not skip to someone else.

Tell us how it went

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM

thanks, yeah it was not even a day. It went to production essentially overnight. They seem to have done it as soon as they came into work in Germany.

The sales mgr printed me out the vehicle inquiry.

Is has my name and VIN at the top, but it is weird that it has dates below that go back into early Feb. with other customer name as "DA" or none at all. Always the same color but sometimes different Uph. Different and lower priorities are listed for the earlier dates. I am priority 1. Is this all my car or multiple cars? did it go to 150 so fast because it was already sitting in the "queue" for over a month?

Code 97 - order sent to Ag was Feb 5
111 Order accepted on feb 5
105 order out of production feb 5
111 again on feb 5
112 feb 18
back to 111 feb 28
back to 112 on Mar 4
and then finally my order with code 112 Mar 13.

Last edited by terryn; 03-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
thanks, yeah it was not even a day. It went to production essentially overnight. They seem to have done it as soon as they came into work in Germany.

Is has my name and VIN at the top, but it is weird that it has dates below that go back into early Feb. with other customer name as "DA" or none at all. Always the same color but sometimes different Uph. Different and lower priorities are listed for the earlier dates. I am priority 1. Is this all my car or multiple cars? did it go to 150 so fast because it was already sitting in the "queue" for over a month?

111 again on feb 5
112 feb 18
back to 111 feb 28
back to 112 on Mar 4
My guess is you took over someone elses build allocation, someone else backed out of it.

I had an order placed, cancelled it got my $2000 back. Days later I could still log in and check the build and saw it had morphed into an automatic and moonroof car, so basically my allocation, my build morphed into someone elses.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
cancel the order. even if you have to lose the 500, better than regret or trying to retrofit it after (~3K)

but yes, orders can flip that fast. i ordered 11/8/2012 around 3pm. car went status 150 the next day, likely 12 hours after ordering since germany is 6 hours ahead of the east coast.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
When ever I see an F30 without Xenons I think one of two things:

1. Loaner.
2. Poor ol boy got him a base 3 series.

Get the Xenons or walk.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Cancel the order and get your $$ back. The deposit is 100% refundable as a few have mentioned. They will try to tell you its not but it is.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
0-60 2.9

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport
i would eat the $500 and reorder if they are giving you a hard time.

if it's a lease i would consider just take it for 3 years. if it's a purchase i won't accept my car to not having the xenon for 10years.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:

111 again on feb 5
112 feb 18
back to 111 feb 28
back to 112 on Mar 4
build allocations that are priority 1 customer sold are put into production ahead of other orders (dealer stock, etc). my ordered went into production probably 12 hours after i ordered, moved up a week from the original build week. the slot was PW 47, but they started PW46 once the slot was marked priority 1.

i actually just found my VIRs, one from 11/8 showing 112 confirming my options, and another from the next morning showing 150.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM

refundable deposit

Regarding whether a deposit is refundable. A lot of people here feel they always are. I think it depends on the state (and the dealer). I just called the New Jersey Office of Consumer Protection. I was told that if you signed a sales contract saying it was non-refundable, then it is non-refundable. This ain't CA it seems.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Regarding whether a deposit is refundable. A lot of people here feel they always are. I think it depends on the state (and the dealer). I just called the New Jersey Office of Consumer Protection. I was told that if you signed a sales contract saying it was non-refundable, then it is non-refundable. This ain't CA it seems.
You are being manipulated by your dealer.

Send an email, cancel the order, inform them that you expect your $500 back.

I work with the best BMW sales team in NJ, very aggressive, will walk through a wall for you. Worst case, they'll take your business and give you an extra $500 just to get you whole.

Cancel the order as soon as possible.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I had put down $2000 in NJ and walked from an order.

He said, no one wants you to be pissed off and have your money kept. They are not going to get return business sending people on their way pissed off.

You are making this harder than it has to be. It will not take much to come out of this with either $0 lost, or re-ordering and they keep your money. Just be firm, confident and respectful/unemotional in your dealings with them.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM

OK, I just emailed to cancel my order. I requested they process another order with the options I want, or they refund my $500. Let's see what happens.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: G37x
Quote:
OK, I just emailed to cancel my order. I requested they process another order with the options I want, or they refund my $500. Let's see what happens.
Worst case is you try to dispute it with your credit card company?

I have had them on my car for so many years I couldn't live without the lighting package. Dealer said MOST people don't want that package. He will have no problem selling the car to someone else.

I would keep complaining. They are going to lose you as a customer for a crappy 500 dollars? Future cars, service etc? If they are willing to lose you for that then they are not worth dealing with..
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540i
Quote:
I think they will accodmate you. Like others said, in the end they want to keep your business. As for the lighting package, I debated this myself. My previous BMW (2002 540) had Xenons. I got the lighting package on my 328 and LOVE IT. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. I cringe when I see other new 328 folks on here expressing their 'buyers remorse' for skipping it.

Last edited by lawyer540; 03-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
When ever I see an F30 without Xenons I think one of two things:

1. Loaner.
2. Poor ol boy got him a base 3 series.

Get the Xenons or walk.
When I see them I think that BMW should put better base headlights on the car. Base or not, cars that cost much less than a 320 or a 328 have much more functional and attractive halogen projector headlights. The fact that the corona rings were lost on the halogen lights between the E90 LCI and F30 is absurd.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Update

I talked to the CA on the phone this morning. I got the long story again about how difficult the car I ordered would be to sell, but he did admit that he didn't want this to get ugly of $500. I was firm in my need to cancel my order and to reorder. He went off to talk to the manager, then later emailed me and asked me to come in on Monday when "the staff who cancels orders" is in.

This didn't tell me what they plan to do about the deposit. I'll let you all know after I see them on Monday.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
Quote:
I'd read and see exactly what the contract says. They're not going to have a written contract that violates NJ law, so don't think of that being a realistic possibility. Yes, they should have mentioned it headlights when you were going through the ordering process, but in the end you signed the contract. Be pleasantly firm, but if they do let you out of it and allow you to reorder then they're doing you a favor (which is obviously in their long term best interest). They may have a cancellation fee that they have to pay. As for CA, they have a bunch of screwed up laws that were passed under the guise of "consumer protection". Reality is that these laws increase risk and costs to businesses which are passed along to consumers.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Go with the Lighting package - they should have come standard on every 3-series anyway. BMW halogens are worthless.

Even if you loose $500 (not likely IMO if you take a firm stance) that's nothing compared to your satisfaction over next 10 years.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
I talked to the CA on the phone this morning. I got the long story again about how difficult the car I ordered would be to sell, but he did admit that he didn't want this to get ugly of $500. I was firm in my need to cancel my order and to reorder. He went off to talk to the manager, then later emailed me and asked me to come in on Monday when "the staff who cancels orders" is in.

This didn't tell me what they plan to do about the deposit. I'll let you all know after I see them on Monday.
What dealer are you using? Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats