Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
What dealer are you using? Good luck
cheers
vern
Morristown NJ BMW
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I swooped in and took over an order for cheap because I told the dealer, good luck taking in a 6spd manual with bluetooth delete. Your car is not some oddity.
I ran into a 6MT with bluetooth delete the other week. I'd never heard of that before and thought they were mistaken about deleting the bluetooth.

Why would anyone ever delete bluetooth? If they work for the NSA?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
I ran into a 6MT with bluetooth delete the other week. I'd never heard of that before and thought they were mistaken about deleting the bluetooth.

there was a production run where the cars were accidentally made without it-- assembly error.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
Morristown NJ BMW
not exactly the shining star of the NJ dealerships but not a stable of horses' asses, either. Continue to be polite but firm and they will sort you out. If you haven't already, tell them exactly what you told us about why the HID lighting is so important to you. It will help them understand it was an honest mistake, not the usual second-guessing of options.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post

I prefer no BT, I really don't want it in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
there was a production run where the cars were accidentally made without it-- assembly error.
It was not an assembly error, it was a choice. They were out of Combox units for that slated production run. So instead of waiting or holding up the line they adjusted the window sticker as BT delete and took a few hundred off the MSRP.

I am thankful they did.

It allowed me to cancel my no-line no option build and swoop onto a car I wanted more with a $6k higher MSRP for less money.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
not exactly the shining star of the NJ dealerships but not a stable of horses' asses, either. Continue to be polite but firm and they will sort you out. If you haven't already, tell them exactly what you told us about why the HID lighting is so important to you. It will help them understand it was an honest mistake, not the usual second-guessing of options.
Morristown, I have had great service there. When I went to buy the wife an e90 in early 2012, sales guy was a total asshole, largely in evaluating my trade. We walked.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list

Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Morristown, I have had great service there. When I went to buy the wife an e90 in early 2012, sales guy was a total asshole, largely in evaluating my trade. We walked.
They were about 500 low on my trade according to KK BB. But I have found it difficult in the past to get what Kelly BB says a dealer will give you. It was a 1999 Audi with 166K. it wasn't worth the fuss of trying to sell it myself. So I accepted it. So I should remind them of that extra cushion they got on my trade in when they are wailing about how I am sticking them with the first order and how hard it will be to sell.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
This is a VERY simple solution: Demand them to change your order immediately AND give you the $500 back for your troubles. If they don't wish to change the order explain to them that you will dispute the charge with your credit card company, get your deposit back and post negative reviews about them on every single BMW forums site from here to Zimbabwe. On top of that they will lose the sale and you will call BMW corporate to complain.

I would never "settle" if I was ordering a car. If they are giving you a hard time just walk and call your CC company.

If you aren't assertive I will be MORE than happy to call with you on the phone.

You can also go to ANY other BMW dealership in jersey explaining to them about your problem and I am sure they will do everything they can to make you happy, ie, calling to get your deposit back and ordering you a new car the way you want
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
They were about 500 low on my trade according to KK BB. But I have found it difficult in the past to get what Kelly BB says a dealer will give you. It was a 1999 Audi with 166K. it wasn't worth the fuss of trying to sell it myself. So I accepted it. So I should remind them of that extra cushion they got on my trade in when they are wailing about how I am sticking them with the first order and how hard it will be to sell.
For us, it was $5k. We had a $30k Sonata Limited V6, he looked up $18k GLS cars at auction and assured me he looked at Limited V6s. He was a liar and treating me like an idiot. I don't care about $500 to make a car deal happen, $5k I do.

I traded at the Volvo/Saab dealer who looked up the car correctly and I got within $200 of what the car was worth.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
This is a VERY simple solution: Demand them to change your order immediately AND give you the $500 back for your troubles. If they don't wish to change the order explain to them that you will dispute the charge with your credit card company, get your deposit back and post negative reviews about them on every single BMW forums site from here to Zimbabwe. On top of that they will lose the sale and you will call BMW corporate to complain.

I would never "settle" if I was ordering a car. If they are giving you a hard time just walk and call your CC company.

If you aren't assertive I will be MORE than happy to call with you on the phone.

You can also go to ANY other BMW dealership in jersey explaining to them about your problem and I am sure they will do everything they can to make you happy, ie, calling to get your deposit back and ordering you a new car the way you want
Well, I don't think they can change the order since it is in production. They will need to allow me to place another order. I've told them that is what I want to do. I am meeting with them on Monday to cancel the first order. If they refuse to place a second order and refuse to refund my deposit, I am planning on bring up the fact that I will post reviews. I can be completely factual and neutral and they will still come off looking bad to the average customer if they fail to give me the deposit back.

I was telling my story to the woman and the eyeglass shop as I was picking up glasses with me son yesterday. I was completely honest, I said I called in the change the next morning, and that the contract said the deposit was non refundable, and that the dealer was concerned about selling my first order. She still clearly sided with me. I'll point that out at the dealer on Monday if I need to.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Demand them to cancel the order and place a new one. I would start a scene at the dealership and make sure all their customers walk. They can't keep your money if you didn't purchase anything, nor can they make you take a car you don't want. Simple solution, cancel order and make a new one andddd get the $500 back for them annoying u.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
Quote:
This is a VERY simple solution: Demand them to change your order immediately AND give you the $500 back for your troubles. If they don't wish to change the order explain to them that you will dispute the charge with your credit card company, get your deposit back and post negative reviews about them on every single BMW forums site from here to Zimbabwe.
He signed a contract. He'll lose a credit card dispute. They can play hardball if they want. However, making their customer happy is better for them in the long run. If the car literally went in to production the next day (which I doubt), someone will be out some money if the configuration is one that doesn't sell as fast as normal. Extra time on the lot causes more interest which is money. If they change the order for nothing, they are great. If they change it for a reasonable amount, then they are being fair.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Not trying to sound too insensitive, but the OP should probably have to lose/eat the $500, just because he didn't do his proper due diligence before committing to the order with the dealer. I don't see where any of this is the dealer's fault, and now they'll be stuck with a car they'll have a tougher time selling, specifically because of the OP.

And we're talking about eating $500, not $5000. Not to mention this dealer is going to remember this situation, and hate on yer ass for the next 3+ years every time you need to take your car in for service.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
OP what weird constellation of of colors/options did you order that is supposed to make it so hard for them to sell the car?

Let me guess it was something other than black, white, silver or gray.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: G37x
My dealer told me MOST cars are ordered without the lighting package. I don't see how the dealer will be stuck with this car. The dealer should apply the 500 toward his correct car. This keeps him a customer and possibly a future customer. The 500 is nothing to them compared to what they can gain in the future.

I think the dealer will take care of you in the end
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
Quote:
Demand them to cancel the order and place a new one. I would start a scene at the dealership and make sure all their customers walk. They can't keep your money if you didn't purchase anything, nor can they make you take a car you don't want. Simple solution, cancel order and make a new one andddd get the $500 back for them annoying u.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret_T View Post
He signed a contract. He'll lose a credit card dispute. They can play hardball if they want. However, making their customer happy is better for them in the long run. If the car literally went in to production the next day (which I doubt), someone will be out some money if the configuration is one that doesn't sell as fast as normal. Extra time on the lot causes more interest which is money. If they change the order for nothing, they are great. If they change it for a reasonable amount, then they are being fair.
Yeah, pretty sure basic contract law will mean BMW has all the power within this negotiation.

Why BMW might bend is for customer satisfaction/reputation, but not from fear of legal backlash.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: G37x
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
Yeah, pretty sure basic contract law will mean BMW has all the power within this negotiation.

Why BMW might bend is for customer satisfaction/reputation, but not from fear of legal backlash.
BTW- Does it say anywhere that the deposit is non-refundable? I didn't get anything saying that it wasn't and my CA never mentioned it.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
OP what weird constellation of of colors/options did you order that is supposed to make it so hard for them to sell the car?
No Nav or Comfort Access/heated seats, and stuck with $2k+ worth of options that 99% of 328i buyers don't care about nor want to pay for (sport trans/DHP/HK).
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 AM

When you go to a dealership and leave a deposit it is always 100% refundable. Writing non-refundable doesn't make it ok for dealerships to keep your money otherwise all dealerships will write non-refundable when leaving a deposit and keep your money. They used to do that but then a law was passed prohibiting that.

Dealerships can cry, bitch and moan but at the end of the day they cannot keep your money if you did not drive off with a car.

Dispute the charge with your CC, complain to the DMV. Get car at another dealership. Done, done and done.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Morristown NJ BMW
Go to the "Dealer Feedback" forum and do a search "Pissed off at Morristown BMW" and you will get some really good in site on the kind of people your dealing with. Again good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
When you go to a dealership and leave a deposit it is always 100% refundable. Writing non-refundable doesn't make it ok for dealerships to keep your money otherwise all dealerships will write non-refundable when leaving a deposit and keep your money. They used to do that but then a law was passed prohibiting that.

Dealerships can cry, bitch and moan but at the end of the day they cannot keep your money if you did not drive off with a car.

Dispute the charge with your CC, complain to the DMV. Get car at another dealership. Done, done and done.
So the sales guy should eat the $500 out of his commission?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
This is a total no brainer. Tell the dealer you are very sorry but you just can't do the deal. Tell him you are willing to lose the $500 deposit and you will be telling all your friends about how the dealer was not customer friendly and you would not use them. Tell them to keep your deposit and add $500 to the new order. On a 5 year loan, the $500 will cost you $10 a month. On a lease, about $15. If it comes down to it, just walk away. You're buying a $50k car. You'll survive the $500 loss.

Quote:
I just placed an order for a new 2013 328i drive. And I am very UNHAPPY! At 3am the night I signed the sales agreement I woke up and thought "Xenon headlights!" I called my sales rep at 9am the next day and asked them to change the order to add the lighting package. He said it was too late, the order could not be changed. I checked via telephone, and BMW said my status was 112. Everything I've read about this problem on the web indicated that I should still be able to change the order.

So I go back in this morning (day 2 now) and talk to the sales manager. He says no, my order is in production, status 150. Nothing can be changed. It had flipped to in production, 150, at 3am (about 12 hrs) after I placed the order. They don't want to allow me to place another order and get stuck having to sell my first ordered car, since I got a "driver's car" and did not get the premium or tech packages, etc.

The car I ordered was
328i xdrive in Alpine White
Sport Line
Black Leatherette interior
Dynamic Handling Package
Sport Auto Trans with paddles
Moonroof
HK Stereo

Now instead of being a happy new BMW to be owner, I am feeling sick and pissed off. No mention of the value of lighting kit was made to me during the sales negotiation. I called the dealer to change the order less than 18 hours after closing the deal. It's ironic that I wanted fast delivery, but locking in the order in less than 24 hours seems way too fast.

I am seriously considering walking away from the car, and my $500 deposit. I am getting a bit older and now I realize the Xenons are pretty important. After market kits look like a big hassle and of dubious legal status , and getting a BMW retrofit is prohibitively expensive. So it looks like this is a now or never situation.

I am afraid if I take this car, every time I drive it at night I will be annoyed. I keep my cars a long time. Over 10 years I'll be driving it at night at least 1000-2000 times. So eating my $500 deposit amounts to a 50 cents per drive or less penalty for avoiding this annoyance.

So I am having this moral dilemma. It's mostly my fault. I should have got my order right the first time, but the dealer should have advised me about the lights before placing the order, and they sure locked me in fast, in less than 24 hrs, giving me little time to change things. If they would just let me reorder it would make me so happy.

What should I do? Eat the deposit and go to another dealer and order what I really want? OR suck it up like a man, accept my mistake and just live with the car?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
Quote:

I don't know where you're getting your information, but non-refundable deposits are very normal in contracts. However, the specific laws governing car purchases certainly do vary from state to state and they may or may not vary from the norm. It's not likely that the contract written by a dealership will have something written in it that's illegal. Otherwise, a judge could easily invalidate the entire contract. That's certainly not something a dealership wants to have happen. If a consumer can just walk away from a deal at any point and get his money back, then there's no real point in putting down a deposit or even having a contract. If you owned a dealership, would you take the risk of special ordering a car with atypical options knowing that the consumer can just walk away at any point? I do think it's in the best long term interest of the dealership to do everything they can to satisfy their customer, but they've done nobody wrong at this point.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
This is a total no brainer. Tell the dealer you are very sorry but you just can't do the deal. Tell him you are willing to lose the $500 deposit and you will be telling all your friends about how the dealer was not customer friendly and you would not use them. Tell them to keep your deposit and add $500 to the new order. On a 5 year loan, the $500 will cost you $10 a month. On a lease, about $15. If it comes down to it, just walk away. You're buying a $50k car. You'll survive the $500 loss.
This x1000.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
x3.14

My grandfather used to say, if the problem is money then there is no problem.

OP: just be prepared to lose the $500 and reorder the car that you want. Something tells me that you won't and you will.