Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
This sucks and I feel bad for you OP.

If I were you I would just go to another dealer, order the car you want, with the best deal you can get.

Keep on good terms with your current dealer and try the best you can to get your deposit back. If this falls through, slate them via whatever means you can on the internet (if you feel the need). But as I previously thought, if it says in your contract you can't get the deposit back then I doubt you will have any leverage here.

Good luck all the same, I feel your pain!

Last edited by PeteRock; 03-18-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
terryn, assuming that you didn't have a trade that's now in their posession, I agree that losing the $500 seems like your best option at this point. I didn't see anything else in the paragraph that you posted showing a liability beyond the deposit and trade. You made them fair offers and they didn't accept. Follow the contract by takinig the $500 loss and be done with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
I never heard of a dealership ever keeping anyone's deposit, this is absurd. Demand your deposit back, go to another dealership, put in a new order.

If they refuse to give you the deposit file a dispute with your credit card company. Tell them you left a deposit on a car that you are not buying and they are refusing to give you the deposit back.
Again at the risk of repeating myself, the point of a deposit is to offset risk that the dealership is taking by ordering a car that's not as easy to sell as the ones that most people buy. If there was no deposit required, it would be pretty difficult to get a dealership to order a non run of the mill car for you. The dealership will likely have a harder time selling the car, so the $500 will likely be used to help modivate a buyer. Also remember that the point of the contract is so that everyone will know what to do if things turn sour. Both parties have obligations. It appears that terryn will fulfill his by losing his deposit.

BTW, I appreciate the OP posting this thread. When I bought my S2000 they actually had zero options, so I didn't have to think about anything other than the color. My WRX had just a couple of options. BMW's seem to have a ton of option combinations. Based on the OP's experience, I'm going to have everything written down at the dealership and post it here for others to review. Given the number of option combinations, it seems very easy to overlook something.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
I talked to the sales Manager, Dave, at Morristown BMW this morning. It did not go well. I went in offering to buy a few more options on the car, the idea being it would throw a little more profit their way, and have them ordering a second car with lower risk options on it. I offered to add Premium Pkg and BMW Assist. I just can't spring for the heated seats, that option has no value to me.

They were unimpressed by my offer to add more options, and refused to order a second car no matter what the options with the same 4% discount I was given on the first car. They offered to order me a second at full MSRP. That would involve me paying a $1862 "penalty" on the car, plus it bumps me over $45K and I would have to pay the NJ Luxury tax (.4% - $186). I said no.

They then came back saying I could order the second car at a 2% discount. This involves me paying a $931 penalty on the second order. I said no.

I discussed that their best interests were in maintaining a good customer relationship, and that they really didn't want me posting reviews about this situation. I said I didn't need to post a negative review, just the facts would make them look bad in most peoples eyes. Dave didn't seem to fazed by these arguments. He just kept repeating he was going to be stuck with a car he could not sell. So I said we should just severe our relationship, I walk away and they give me my $500 deposit back. Dave said he's be willing to talk to his manager but they never give deposits back.

In the end, they put the car in priority 5. They said if another dealer snatched it up in a week or so, I could order another car at the 4% discount rate, with the options I wanted. If not, it looks like I am going to have a fight on my hands to get my deposit back - but even so, it's better than the 2% order discount the were giving me. This gives me time to go to other dealers to see what kind of price I can get from them on the car I am looking for.
I wonder if they trying to play hardball, thinking that you will back out and keep the car as is.
They need to realize how serious you are. At this point since you are cancelling the order, they are stuck with that car, no matter what, and they will have to find a way to sell it.

I think you need to make them understand that their option right now, is whether they will keep your business by using that $500 as the deposit for your next car (with ZLP and whatever else), or if they are going to keep fighting you over those $500 and let you take your business elsewhere.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
how much over invoice was your deal? 4% doesnt sound like a really good deal, typically you can get 500 over invoice on a 328i

PM me if you want a reccomendation for a CA in NNJ at another dealer.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
I'd greatly appreciate recommendations for other dealerships or CA's I should now go to to try to do this again. The closer to Morristown area the better.
I was wondering if I should discuss this first order debacle. Many seem to think the second dealer would be sympathetic and more helpful if they knew, but I would also be worried that they might consider me a risky customer to order a car for.

JMK BMW in Springfield seems to be the next closest to me followed by BMW of Bloomfield and BMW of Roxbury Township.

Last edited by terryn; 03-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
I'd greatly appreciate recommendations for other dealerships or CA's I should now go to to try to do this again. The closer to Morristown area the better.
I was wondering if I should discuss this first order debacle. Many seem to think the second dealer would be sympathetic and more helpful if they knew, but I would also be worried that they might consider me a risky customer to order a car for.

JMK BMW in Springfield seems to be the next closest to me followed by BMW of Bloomfield and BMW of Roxbury Township.
Avoid open road as they are like going to Morris town all over again. Roxbury from what I remember is one of the 4 NJ Open Road BMW franchises.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

Personally, I would not discuss the first order for the exact reason you mention. Another dealer is not going to be interested in selling to you at a lower price than they otherwise would just because they feel badly for you.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:

You don't want to go to BMW of Roxbury thats there sister dealer like openroad-newton.
If your interested in JMK PM me I'll put you in touch with a great CA that I've been using for many years. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Personally, I would not discuss the first order for the exact reason you mention. Another dealer is not going to be interested in selling to you at a lower price than they otherwise would just because they feel badly for you.
+1

i would think they would be less inclined to do a special order if they knew you had issues with a prior one.

i would just be 100% sure this time going in that you know the options you want

in the tristate area, some of the impossible to sell options are:
6MT
RWD
No heated seats
No sunroof

for any of those, expect them to ask for a larger than normal deposit-- i had to put down a 1K deposit on my 335i-- RWD, 6MT, to be fair, they would have been pretty much screwed if i had backed out.

in your case, the seat heaters was probably why they went south on backing out, i dont imagine them having a problem selling your config around here except for that.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
I talked to the sales Manager, Dave, at Morristown BMW this morning. It did not go well. I went in offering to buy a few more options on the car, the idea being it would throw a little more profit their way, and have them ordering a second car with lower risk options on it. I offered to add Premium Pkg and BMW Assist. I just can't spring for the heated seats, that option has no value to me.

They were unimpressed by my offer to add more options, and refused to order a second car no matter what the options with the same 4% discount I was given on the first car. They offered to order me a second at full MSRP. That would involve me paying a $1862 "penalty" on the car, plus it bumps me over $45K and I would have to pay the NJ Luxury tax (.4% - $186). I said no.

They then came back saying I could order the second car at a 2% discount. This involves me paying a $931 penalty on the second order. I said no.

I discussed that their best interests were in maintaining a good customer relationship, and that they really didn't want me posting reviews about this situation. I said I didn't need to post a negative review, just the facts would make them look bad in most peoples eyes. Dave didn't seem to fazed by these arguments. He just kept repeating he was going to be stuck with a car he could not sell. So I said we should just severe our relationship, I walk away and they give me my $500 deposit back. Dave said he's be willing to talk to his manager but they never give deposits back.

In the end, they put the car in priority 5. They said if another dealer snatched it up in a week or so, I could order another car at the 4% discount rate, with the options I wanted. If not, it looks like I am going to have a fight on my hands to get my deposit back - but even so, it's better than the 2% order discount the were giving me. This gives me time to go to other dealers to see what kind of price I can get from them on the car I am looking for.
Wow, this is ridiculous, you are being treated terribly.

Inform this dealership that you're walking away. Call 5 other dealerships, give them the config you're looking for, tell them how you were mistreated by the other dealer. I am certain that a) you'll get the car you want at the price you originally had and b) they will make up the $500 if indeed you lose it.

Call Jeremy at Park Ave BMW in Paramus. He's the best. Will have you happy by the end of the day, trust me.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Inform this dealership that you're walking away. Call 5 other dealerships, give them the config you're looking for, tell them how you were mistreated by the other dealer. I am certain that a) you'll get the car you want at the price you originally had and b) they will make up the $500 if indeed you lose it.

Call Jeremy at Park Ave BMW in Paramus. He's the best. Will have you happy by the end of the day, trust me.

BJ
i dont know how wise it is to tell them that he backed out on a custom order if he's planning on doing another custom order...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
what about Paul Miller in Wayne? Any opinions about them?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Personally, I didn't order the lighting package on my BMW, even though I had them on my previous 2 cars. Was trying to keep within a certain budget so were one of the things I didn't add. Don't really miss them that much.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Tell the dealership to cancel your order and demand a refund. Immediately call the credit card company and dispute this $500 charge (don't wait until after 30 days). Tell the cc company the dealer is violating NJ law, though they should know this.
Pillage the dealers customer service on many sites, like here, yelp, etc.

KNow, there are people who turn away the cars when they are on the LOT (as in just delivered) and get their refunds.

GO to another dealership, or better yet call a board sponsor.

DOn't eat any loss

EDIT: If they say "but it's tough to sell this car without XYZ" tell them that is not your problem or concern. Though I bet you any amount of money they have plenty of cars on the lot that do not have heated seats, and do not have x-drive

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.

Last edited by furby076; 03-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
what about Paul Miller in Wayne? Any opinions about them?
I have only done negotiations there, never pulled the trigger and followed through so cannot say for sure.

Was not a fan obviously as I purchased the bosses 7 series at one of the dealers off 17, Park Ave I think it was.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrade View Post
I never heard of a dealership ever keeping anyone's deposit, this is absurd. Demand your deposit back, go to another dealership, put in a new order.

If they refuse to give you the deposit file a dispute with your credit card company. Tell them you left a deposit on a car that you are not buying and they are refusing to give you the deposit back.
This. Plus go to the next dealer and negotiate the deal the way most people do here. Don't make a deal for a percentage off of MSRP. Negotiate a price at $XXX.00 over invoice. Use bmwconfig.com to get your price. I think you'll make up the deposit by negotiating a better price, usually $500. to $1000. over invoice.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: '14 435i & '03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Tell the cc company the dealer is violating NJ law
How about a link to said NJ law? I find it hard to believe that the dealership is required by law to refund a deposit assuming they did everything per the contract.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
i read your story OP and i personally think that this dealership has no idea how to treat a customer, however, i dont think it's un-reasonable for them to not refund your deposit.. you did sign a contract stating that the refund is non-refundable. you also admit that you erred by not doing your research on the lighting package; so you do have some fault here as well. IMO, i would tell the original dealership that they have lost your business for now and forever and you will also refer people to other dealerships. they are welcome to keep the $500 deposit. cancel your order and place it with another dealership. at the end of the day we're talking about $500 on a $45K car, so it's really an insignificant amount. absolutely get the lighting package, dont compromise on that
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret_T View Post
How about a link to said NJ law? I find it hard to believe that the dealership is required by law to refund a deposit assuming they did everything per the contract.
Unfortunately I do not have link to this, and right now I don't have the time to comb google to look for it

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
This whole thing is killing me! A luxury car dealer in a fight to the death over $500!!?? A 4% discount??!! I didn't even negotiate and they gave me about 5% off. Aren't some people getting close to 10% discounts? I special ordered a rear wheel drive, 328i, estoril blue, M Sport line, manual transmission, coral red leather, and Harmon Kardon. No other options. No xenons, no sunroof, no premium package, no heated seats, no navigation, no adaptive suspension. None of the "needed" and poipular options. I had a budget that I wanted to stay in and all I cared about was going fast, a good stereo and dynamic colors. I'm well aware of my Superman color combo. I leased and only put down a $1000 deposit. They never tried to tell me I couldn't order an almost totally unsellable car or that I would lose my deposit if I didn't follow through. They said, thank you Mr. Woods. We'll keep you updated on the status of your order. I picked up my car after about a 10 week wait. All was perfect and I was so pleased that I encourged my girlfriend to buy a new X1 from the same salesman a month later. That's how it should be!!!

Quote:

Last edited by woodswatchco; 03-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:

I bought cars from Circle and Paul Miller. My last one was from Paul Miller, very easy buying process. Maybe 3 or 4 emails back and forth and i came in to sign the paperwork and place an order. I paid 500 over invoice, it was in summer of 12. I can look up CA last name if you want. Her first name was Cathy
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
He's not being treated rudely, the dealer is in business to make money. Not get stuck with a $45K car on the lot that no one is going to want.

If dealers are just going to give back deposits and "eat" cars that might be tough to sell, what's the point of a "deposit" in a first place?

verb deˇposˇit: money given as a pledge or down payment

It all boils down to this: the OP made a mistake, the dealer did not. The OP needs to eat the $500, and obviously he'll be real sharp on similar matters in the future. The dealer is STILL stuck with a sucky car, thanks to the OP. And the penalty for that is $500. No amount of "ordering a few extra options" is going to make up for the dealer sitting on a sucky car that average joe does not want. If you want to pay full MSRP for an M6, I'm sure they can work something out. But in reality, the dealer will probably have to knock $2K+ off the price (even invoice, maybe?) of the abandoned car for someone to take it. Eventually.

Last edited by SamS; 03-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Two thoughts since you asked. Xenons are great until they break out of warranty. Bulbs for standard lights are $30 a pair and you can replace them yourself. Now on the moral dilemma. You made the order and they can try to change it but if they can't do it its not the dealers fault. Yes, it is too much money to be unhappy but if you are that much into lights and not the driving experience so that you would dump a car for different bulbs then you should spend some money on therapy. So if you cannot live with a fantastic car because the bulbs are cheaper than walk away and forfeit your deposit without argument since the dealer might lose more than 500 if you ordered some weird combination. Ironically I was in a similar boat with my 1M. I agonized between orange and white. I settled on white then later called and asked them to change to orange. They couldn't do it. I was bummed At myself not the dealer! Then I looked down at
My 1M from the 3rd floor of the Welt! I was bummed no more. Looking back you see Valencia Orange X1s and every Kia, dodge, ford, Chevy has a version of VO. White is timeless and I'm glad I didn't get it now. There was a reason you didn't want them in the first place. If you plan on keeping it they are a costly
Liability on an already high maintenance car. Whatever you do.... Do the right thing!

Last edited by nacho; 03-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Avoid open road as they are like going to Morris town all over again. Roxbury from what I remember is one of the 4 NJ Open Road BMW franchises.
i agree, they lie. not a good place
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335
I have been following this thread very closley, OP;call corperate BMW, send emails to a couple executives explaining your situation. They will figure this out in 48 hours for you. If you really want the 500$ back, this is the best and easiest way. Don't keep going to the dealership and get treated rudely. You're buying a 47k car not a toy, it's understandable.