Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: E90 55 320D
How neccessary is it to bleed coolant after EGR stat' removal

i took my EGR stat off two days ago to check if it was faulty or not, it was as i could blow through it
Yesterday i got a new one from BMW and fitted it perfectly fine, lost about 400ml of coolant from the hole underneath the stat, not the hose, but not a problem as i topped it up afterwards

ive read a good dozen DIYs, and seen the video on youtube (530D one) detailing the stat change

now in the majority of DIYs and in the video, there is no mention of bleeding the system, but in a couple it says bleed it afterwards

is it neccessary to do or can i get away with it?

my only hurdle is that i dont have a battery charger or another car of anyone nearby where i can hook up to the battery while the bleed process is done (apparently this is neccessary?)

thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basim97 View Post
i took my EGR stat off two days ago to check if it was faulty or not, it was as i could blow through it
Yesterday i got a new one from BMW and fitted it perfectly fine, lost about 400ml of coolant from the hole underneath the stat, not the hose, but not a problem as i topped it up afterwards

ive read a good dozen DIYs, and seen the video on youtube (530D one) detailing the stat change

now in the majority of DIYs and in the video, there is no mention of bleeding the system, but in a couple it says bleed it afterwards

my only hurdle is that i dont have a battery charger or another car of anyone nearby where i can hook up to the battery while the bleed process is done (apparently this is neccessary?)

thanks
I'll give your post a bump, but am of no further help. We don't have that D in the States and that's where most of us 'Festers' are. Maybe a fellow Brit will spot your thread...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I'll give your post a bump, but am of no further help. We don't have that D in the States and that's where most of us 'Festers' are. Maybe a fellow Brit will spot your thread...
You dont have 320 diesels?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:

thanks
In my opinion and this is purely my opinion. You can get away with it, because, you didn't loose a lot of coolant and the pump should bleed the system anyways when it runs. The bleeding procedure is nothing special it just has the pump, pump the water around the system. Since you didn't do a complete drain, I can't see you requiring a full bleed as there will be water in most places anyways and the pump will fill the rest up soon anyways.

I think the procedure is there mainly so that when you drain all the water and re-fill, you don't drive away with a system that isn't completely full. I would recommend you just check your coolant level after one decent drive say 30+ minutes and top up if you need to. I seriously doubt you will do any damage. You dropped 400ml in a system that holds probably close to 9L of coolant.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Correct, there aren't 320 diesel cars in the whole country! We remember how those Mercedes, GM350's and VW Rabbit diesels were such stinkpot, clattertrap, powerless lumps of steel back in the 70's. Are you saying they are better than that now? Are diesels popular in Europe? Maybe just in England because if you have a diesel then you don't have to deal with Lucas ignition systems anymore. But then you guys like bangers, and bubble and squeak, mashed ******s and spotted dick. You'll put up with anything.

We don't learn too much about Europe anymore, they hardly ever mention it in the papers, or even in blogs. Mostly they just write about China and other important places. That's the main reason we didn't know that you are stuck with diesels. I imagine that gasoline (petrol) must be very cheap in Europe with everyone using diesel fuel. Our gasoline costs about $3.50 a gallon which is highway (motorway) robbery. How much is yours? Must be around 25 cents (pence) a liter (litre)?

Edit: LOL, the offensive language nanny won't accept ******s even though it is a polite word in England. I should have used figgots, then maybe I could have gotten away with it. Hey, what happens if I type "fanny"? I wonder if that's allowed.
Edit2: Yes, apparently "fanny" is allowed even though it has a different meaning in the UK than it does here.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 03-16-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
In my opinion and this is purely my opinion. You can get away with it, because, you didn't loose a lot of coolant and the pump should bleed the system anyways when it runs. The bleeding procedure is nothing special it just has the pump, pump the water around the system. Since you didn't do a complete drain, I can't see you requiring a full bleed as there will be water in most places anyways and the pump will fill the rest up soon anyways.

I think the procedure is there mainly so that when you drain all the water and re-fill, you don't drive away with a system that isn't completely full. I would recommend you just check your coolant level after one decent drive say 30+ minutes and top up if you need to. I seriously doubt you will do any damage. You dropped 400ml in a system that holds probably close to 9L of coolant.

thanks for the reply, i drove it all day and havent had a problem without bleding! at first i drove for 15 mins then i undid the resevoir cap while hot and released sme air under pressure from there, aside from that all seems well
Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Correct, there aren't 320 diesel cars in the whole country! We remember how those Mercedes, GM350's and VW Rabbit diesels were such stinkpot, clattertrap, powerless lumps of steel back in the 70's. Are you saying they are better than that now? Are diesels popular in Europe? Maybe just in England because if you have a diesel then you don't have to deal with Lucas ignition systems anymore. But then you guys like bangers, and bubble and squeak, mashed ******s and spotted dick. You'll put up with anything.

We don't learn too much about Europe anymore, they hardly ever mention it in the papers, or even in blogs. Mostly they just write about China and other important places. That's the main reason we didn't know that you are stuck with diesels. I imagine that gasoline (petrol) must be very cheap in Europe with everyone using diesel fuel. Our gasoline costs about $3.50 a gallon which is highway (motorway) robbery. How much is yours? Must be around 25 cents (pence) a liter (litre)?

Edit: LOL, the offensive language nanny won't accept ******s even though it is a polite word in England. I should have used figgots, then maybe I could have gotten away with it. Hey, what happens if I type "fanny"? I wonder if that's allowed.
Edit2: Yes, apparently "fanny" is allowed even though it has a different meaning in the UK than it does here.

hahah diesels are quality now, i had an e46 petrol as my first car.... never again... im a student and i was spending more a week on fuel than on food
diesels are quite decent here now and getting more popular than petrols (gasoline )
and theyre just as nippy as petrols

mate, $3.50 a gallon? that is cheap as F***

petrol is 1.40 a litre which is $2.11, diesel is about $2.40 a LITRE ...... vat and tax bums us over in the damn country.. its a joke
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
hahah diesels are quality now, i had an e46 petrol as my first car.... never again... im a student and i was spending more a week on fuel than on food
diesels are quite decent here now and getting more popular than petrols (gasoline )
and theyre just as nippy as petrols

mate, $3.50 a gallon? that is cheap as F***

petrol is 1.40 a litre which is $2.11, diesel is about $2.40 a LITRE ...... vat and tax bums us over in the damn country.. its a joke
Glad you took no offense at my jabs. I've spent years in England, mostly in Devon and Cornwall and some in the Midlands. Never have been out your way though. I'm very familiar with the cost of fuel, VAT, and everything else you put up with.
What are you studying, and when will you be applying for your green card so you can make a living at it?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM

hahaha nah its fine, true most of it thats why :L

doing medicine atm, half way through it so a doc in a few years and hopefully aspiring to go into surgery

LOL once i get good enough at my profession!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Non compos Mentos

British physicians and surgeons are very highly valued in this country. We automatically assume that the accent confers reason and intelligence far beyond schooling. There are a few Brits on this board, ///M-rated is one, but he's the exception to the rule.
You're probably too young to remember 'the brain drain' of the 60's and 70's. That's when Britain's best and brightest graduated Eton and Cambridge but found that the only jobs available required asking "Would you like vinegar with your fish and chips, mate?" and paid enough for a flat on Cheapside with ten of their closest friends. So they emigrated to the good ole USA and bumped us out of the prime jobs for 10% under our asking.
Things were finally reversed when Maggie Thatcher kept England from becoming Greece with a lot more rain, and saved the good jobs left. That meant the best and the brightest now had a shot at decent employment. The rest were packed off to the States where the accent could still dupe the ill informed. And that's how ///M-rated came to take a good job at a good wage from a bloody good Yank.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 03-17-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Remember - the American revolution was started by British subjects.

Just finished a rather dull book, however it notes that of the 191 countries registered with the UN, Britain has been involved in military action in 171 of them. We are currently looking for the other 20...

[I believe the thread has now been de-railed]
[I am also a graduate of the University of Manchester, so the OP is practically my brother!]
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 03-18-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Diesel is still unfashionable here -- perception of unclean exhaust; slow running.

Except in trucks, where the advantages are clear enough to owners.

But, slowly rising in popularity. Personally I love a good diesel.