Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Picking mine up on Wednesday...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535xi m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
Picking mine up on Wednesday...
Awesome. Do you have a 5 now as well? Your build looks similar to mine. I splurged or the nappa at the last minute. Hope it is worth it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 PM

Yeah, I'm picking up my 535xi Msport on Wednesday.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJon View Post
Earlier in this thread I mentioned I'm doing the same. Chase, do not keep the run flats. The difference on my e90 was off the charts with non runflats. I'm picking up my ride tomorrow afternoon and will have the pilot sport plus a/s installed before pickup. I have the conti dws on my e90 that I just sold and really liked them. But some on the fest feel strongly that the dws are not a good match for the f10, so ill give the Michelins a whirl.

Good luck getting your car soon. I got lucky with only one day in Bremerhaven and a 9 day transport. Boat arrived Baltimore on March 22 and car was in Cincy exactly 7 days later.
Hey Wildcat,

Thanks, I am definitely going with non-RFT Michelins. I actually decided a few days ago, just cannot see myself taking a chance with what many owners describe as a hard ride combined with potential tire disasters - even if I were to purchase the insurance. Just isn't worth it to me.

Anyway, have fun picking up your car today, let us know how it goes!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Picked up my 5 today after a long flight back from LA. Got to play around with all the tech and put about 50 miles on her. Hit some twisties and was floored by how the car was on absolute rails given its size. Loved my E90 sport package but this beast awed me. Is it the DHP? Not sure but it was heavenly. The nappa leather also is super plush. Hope it holds up well. All the tech seems evolutionary from my e90 and it didn't take long to get used to it. Still lots to learn but so far I'm a very happy camper. Will be leaving for work early to take the long way in....
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM

Hey Wildcat,

Any favorite options so far? Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase3006 View Post
Hey Wildcat,

Any favorite options so far? Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it!
Got everything hooked up. Car feels so much bigger than my e90, but it is so deceiving in how well it handles. In Comfort, you can cruise down the freeway as if you're in a Bentley, gentile and comfortable, then you punch the gas and the legendary BMW torque propels you past just about everyone and everything around you. In Sport, it is even more pronounced. I know that the shift points are immediately more aggressive but not sure if the chassis and steering tightness is only on the DHP cars (anyone help?). But driving in Sport feels best.

I was shocked at how I could push this car in the twisties like my old 330i given how the car feels otherwise. Amazing.

The BMW Apps are cool - read your tweets and texts (unfortunatetly cannot reply). Wish they had iHeartRadio so I could get some of my other fav stations in other cities (mainly Clear Channel owned I think). Can't figure out how to get email to show up yet.

The storage bin to the left of the steering wheel is awesome. Have two pairs of Oakleys in there.

HUD is a neat feature, except that my sunglasses are both polarized and it really dims the display a ton.

The multicountour seats are the bomb - very similar to my old sport seats except for the lack of side bolsters (bummer) but otherwise are extremely comfy.

I like the fact that all of your up to 40 presets between radio, SAT, etc. can be mixed together. Saves a bunch of time toggling between formats. Bluetooth and ipod/iphone music sounds fantastic on the premium sound. SAT seems to sound better than on my previous BMW.

The lane departure warning is sorta cool. I almost forgot about it until I noticed the triangles in heavy traffic. Don't think this is a must have though.

The cameras are cool, although I haven't completely figured out how/when to use the the side and overhead cams yet. I have used the PDC in my garage and at work, and the back up is, of course, very useful. Almost didn't get this option - last minute cave.

Navi screen is huge and looks great. Haven't used it much but like that you can pull addresses from your phone contacts like you can with an iphone.

Love the programmable 8 buttons. Have some programmed for phones, one for navi home, one for "presets", etc. Neat that you can rest your finger over the buttons without pushing them to see what they will do WHEN you push the buttons. Also like the small toggle wheel on the right side of steering wheel for scrolling through songs, phone numbers, etc.

Comfort access works well. Wish you could close the trunk from the inside. I heard you can code this?

Lastly, debating whether to tint or not. I don't want it dark, but people tell me 50% is not worth doing. I've searched the forums a bunch and still haven't made a decision . BMW OEM glass seems less tinted than others' factory tint, so I'd like to do something.

Michelin pilot sport a/s feel solid - but never drove with the RFT so have nothing to compare them to.

Well, sorry for the rambling. I know a couple of others are picking up this week too - DJHOMIE being one.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Yep tomorrow... But it's going straight to the detailing shop. But when it's done it will be killer..
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Wildcat, nice writeup. Sounds like you're very happy with everything for the most part. With DJ picking up his car today, it looks like I'm one of the next ones waiting for delivery. Can't wait!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Yep, picked my baby up today. Man that thing looks sweet. It was funny when I was driving out of the dealership with all the wrapping and stickers still on the car. People were looking at me like I stole it. Lmao!!! Drove it straight to my detailing guy. So now it's in his hands. Only had it for 10 mins.. : ( But when I get it back in 7-10 days, it all would've been worth it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Congrats DJ, good stuff!! It's going to be worth it but man, the wait's gonna suck!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM

I know, but hey I waited this long. What's another 7-10 days.. Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Right move DJ.

I had mine shipped direct to detailer for prep and opticoat and I couldn't be more pleased with how nicely it washes. I have yet to find a single scratch or swirl on it after about 2K miles on the odometer.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Yeah opti coat is awesome. I just hosed the car down today with a power wash from a local carwash and everything just comes right off its sweet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Nice.. Do you guys go to a regular HAND wash place, or do you wash it yourself? I'm also having him put optiseal on it, on top of the opticoat. Optiseal gives it that permanent wet look.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I wish I got Opticoat . Though I'm happy with what I've had done to the car so far, in terms of detailing (saved a bit as well) and all that. If I were to keep the car after the Lease, as hypothetical as that may or may not be, I'd probably get Opticoat, but considering mine is a 2 year Lease, I guess I had less incentive.

I did talk to one guy who did Opticoat and when he was giving me options/prices, he said that he wasn't a big fan of the way Opticoat "looks" or "shines" especially on a black car. He seemed to prefer the look coming from a good Sealant and/or Wax on top of the Clearcoat. Got me curious as I haven't really seen a "looks comparison" with Opticoat, of course as the focus is put into its revolutionarily impressive protecting abilities.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix M Sport package
Gotta admit I've become obsessed since finding out I can track the ship taking my car from Germany to NY/NJ. It's due to arrive on the 6th and then 4-5 days to LI! Can't wait to get rid of my Jag and start a new car chapter!!
535i xdrive Exterior Carbon Black Metallic Interior Black Dakota Leather,Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles, Anthracite Wood Trim, Premium audio system, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package, Luxury Seating Package, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Technology Package
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM

K-A, what tint do you have?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry115 View Post
Gotta admit I've become obsessed since finding out I can track the ship taking my car from Germany to NY/NJ. It's due to arrive on the 6th and then 4-5 days to LI! Can't wait to get rid of my Jag and start a new car chapter!!
Congrats...
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJon View Post
K-A, what tint do you have?
Not sure about the percentages, but I got the darkest available on the back windows (doors and rear) and the second to darkest on the front two windows.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 AM

I think the darkest is 5% and the second darkest is 20%. I'am getting 20% all around. Nice car K-A.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry115 View Post
Doing the same, lol! Good luck and enjoy!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
I think the darkest is 5% and the second darkest is 20%. I'am getting 20% all around. Nice car K-A.
Thanks bud and you as well! Yeah I think you're spot on about my tints.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM

I'm tinting Monday 40% sides and rear with Solar Gard premium film. Don't want it too dark.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM

I think 40% is too light.. You should look at 35%. But that's just me. Make sure you see the film up against your car BEFORE you make the decision. Gotta say, we are gonna have some hot ass cars this summer..