Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Keep it like that! My Jet Black which was Paint Corrected, now after about 4 self washes already (to be fair, my first wash used an improper technique which I learned from and corrected after) is starting to show swirls under LED lighting. Good thing is that my paint is so well protected and wax'd, etc. that you really don't notice them unless under straight BRIGHT lighting, and even then they don't bother me much helped by how the paints "pop" overpowers them. I'm still learning new things every wash. For example, I noticed that even though I have a ton of the same type of MF (plush) towels, a certain "batch" I got was rougher than the initial one I got. Unfortunately I partially used the comparatively "rougher" batch last wash. Not sure if it did any wrong to the paint (hopefully not), but I now learned to not only be picky about what MF's you BUY, but as you USE them, compare them to each other (talking about even if you're using the "exact same" MF towels) when you pull them out, and make sure that your using the softest feeling ones you have.

Washing technique toward the MF towels also obviously makes a difference. Oh, and wiping in straight lines REALLY helps minimize the noticeable'ness of swirls as if they go in one direction, they won't catch light as easily. Easier said than done, but if you at least put attention into it, you'll at least minimize alternate directions.
There are a lot of crappy MF towels out there that get worse as you wash them, I bought MF detergent made just for washing the towels but you really need to get the super soft plush ones that feel like cotton balls and you won't ever have to worry about fine scratches.

Years ago I received the Duragloss Plush Microfiber Polishing Cloth free with an order over at ForMyMercedes.com and I use it after I am done drying the car with my new favorite drying towel the Uber Super Drying Microfiber Towel, big ass gray towel and works wonders then I use the Plush Microfiber to go over the car with Adam's detail spray (or any brand you like). This plush towel will not do any harm to your paint. I also bought from another site Microfiber reTHICKulous Towel which looks identical to the Duragloss one, feels the same too but is white. You should have a few of these plush type microfiber towels around as they are 2nd to none.

Also since this is your 1st black car do you know how to do sheeting with the hose? Take the nozzle off and go over the car from top down and 1/2 the water will just sheet off making it so easy to dry with the towel. Then use drying towel then to top if off go over the car again with the spray and plush MF towel.