Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Michelin Pilot Super Sports - First Impressions

When I first got my CPO 2009 335i (E90, sport pkg) this past fall, it came with the stock Bridgestong RFTs. While the ride was better than I remember it ever being in my 2006 330i, but still pretty noisy and choppy on city streets.

In just a few weeks, colder weather was setting in, so I had to switch to winter tires. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any non-RFT winter tires that fit my stock rim size, so I ended up going with Pirelli Sottozero RFTs. The did a great job this winter and even though they were RFT, they rode much better than the stock Bridgestones. Still just a tad harsh though, even after I installed a set of Koni FSDs.

Well today, I finally put my new summer tires on. I opted for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. My other option was the Conti DW's, but based on reviews, I was afraid they were actually going to be too soft - to the point handling, turn-in, etc., suffered. I had Hankook Ventus (also a very soft sidewall) on my RS4 a while back and that tire completely ruined the car. The handling was so soft, unresponsive and sloppy. My car felt like a Buick. So, although the creamy ride quality of the Conti's was appealing, I didn't want to risk ruining my handling like I had on my old RS4.

So, I went with the Michelin PSS. First impressions are quite good. As far as ride quality goes, the winter RFTs I had were an improvement over the stock summer RFTs. Well, now that I'm on a non RFT, things have improved one step further. I still feel lots of bumps, but they are softer and muted - not as loud or harsh as before. This is good... While I wanted to dial out some harshness, the last thing I wanted was a numb ride.

Highway ride was excellent. Smooth, quiet and planted.

As for handling, I haven't really put them through their paces yet. But I did have the PSS on my RS4 for a season and loved the handling. So I'm sure I'll love them on the 335i as well.

Oh, one strange visual observation... They look a bit bulky on the rims. I actually double checked the size on the sidewall to make sure they were right. The profile seems a bit high. The stock Bridgestones are actually very small for their size (the angle in from the rim towards the edge of the tire). The winter tires I had were a bit meatier. The Michelin PSS appear even bigger. This could just be because they are brand new, full tread depth and I don't have any tire shine on them yet.

I'll post again once I've had a chance to have some fun with them.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The PSS's are a bit wider, I was running 15 mm spacers with the bridgestones and when I put on the PSS's they rubbed, had to drop down to 12mm spacers.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The PSS's are a bit wider, I was running 15 mm spacers with the bridgestones and when I put on the PSS's they rubbed, had to drop down to 12mm spacers.
Maybe it's not just my imagination then. Profile appears a tad higher too.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Could be...go to TireRack & look at the measurements in inches including the tread width where the greatest potential for rubbing is. You cannot compare tires by the 275X30X19 numbers because there is no standard. The numbers are based off the section width (275) which is the widest part of the tire not the tread width & can vary from make to make or lines within a specific make. So one guys 275 can be another guys 255 at the tread where the rubber meets the road. Brands like Yokohama tend to put down the most rubber & Goodyear the least in a given size. On my Acura TL 6MT the Yoko ES100 255 had 10 inches on the ground & IIRC the Goodyear F1 had 9.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Could be...go to TireRack & look at the measurements in inches including the tread width where the greatest potential for rubbing is. You cannot compare tires by the 275X30X19 numbers because there is no standard. The numbers are based off the section width (275) which is the widest part of the tire not the tread width & can vary from make to make or lines within a specific make. So one guys 275 can be another guys 255 at the tread where the rubber meets the road. Brands like Yokohama tend to put down the most rubber & Goodyear the least in a given size. On my Acura TL 6MT the Yoko ES100 255 had 10 inches on the ground & IIRC the Goodyear F1 had 9.
You are correct that more perfect tire dimensional matches are best achieved by sticking to tires within one manufacturer's line. Nevertheless, there are global harmonized standards for tire dimensional calculations...the "difficulty" is that there are +/- allowances (-3% to +4% IIRC). In addition, car manufacturers can request "exceptions" to the rules for OE tires from tire standardization bodies.

I've seen tire manufacturers alternate between "minimum" overall width standards, then adopt designs towards the wider allowance in later years.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Practical example. These are the tires I was looking at when I swapped out the run flats. Tread width is not the only thing to consider when buying a tire but for choosing one that will fit inside the fender its important. Could mean trading off something else in the tires makeup that is less important to you. All these tires are listed as 275X30X19"

Potenza RE-11 10.1"

ADVAN Neova AD08 10.6"

Extreme Contact DW 10.6"

Pilot Super Sport 10.2"

P Zero 10.4"

Ventus V12 evo K110 9.7"

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 03-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Spagolli, from a price point perspective, I think the PSS's are the best 'mod' I've done thus far. I was lucky to have installed them just prior to upgrading my car's suspension.
Very noticeable improvement from the run flats. In conjunction with the suspension upgrade....New vehicle!
Enjoy the rubber the car should have popped out of the factory with!

(hopefully,if Spring is on time, I'll put mine back on next week..looking forward to the end of winter)

Last edited by groundeffect; 03-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Spagolli, from a price point perspective, I think the PSS's are the best 'mod' I've done thus far. I was lucky to have installed them just prior to upgrading my car's suspension.
Very noticeable improvement from the run flats. In conjunction with the suspension upgrade....New vehicle!
Enjoy the rubber the car should have popped out of the factory with!

(hopefully,if Spring is on time, I'll put mine back on next week..looking forward to the end of winter)
Having installed the Koni FSD while I still had RFT, I can say the switch to non-RFT had a larger impact in ride quality than the Koni FSD. But you're right in that, together, the upgraded shocks combined with non-RFTs result in a great ride. Firm and responsive, yet rarely crashy. And this is the way the car should have come from the factory!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
LoveMyRed330

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Pilot Super Sports /FSD Pro Kit

I absolutely LOVE the Super Sports on my 330i w/Mtech sports suspension. They ride better then my Continetal DW (which did not last very long with my somewhat SPIRITED driving) and the Michelins have already outlasted them The Michelins handle unbelievably too. Also, how has the FSD kit worked out for you? Just ordered that with the Eibach springs and hoping for a mild lowering and overall better handling and ride quality