Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Strange Brake Issue

I had my front brakes redone about 4 months ago. After it was done I noticed an odor through the that came through the vents after heaving braking. At first I was willing to allow it for awhile since I figured it was burning off the new brakes. However, it has persisted. I took it in to the indy that did the brake job and they claimed there were no leaks in the brake system.

The odd thing is the smell is only there on heavy braking say coming off the highway after awhile of driving. And, here's the odd part, it's much more prevalent if there is a left hand turn after coming off the highway. So I have to believe something is leaking. And it's winter here so it's hard to tell if there is anything on the garage floor with all the melting snow/ice that comes off the car when you park it in the garage.

The odor is kind of a burnt petroleum type of smell. Thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Since it was done at an independent mechanic, I'm sure they put some grease in an area where it's not supposed to go. Not everyone can do brakes, even some guys with the ASE cert. in that area (I've seen one). The brakes should have been broken in by the tech already so any burning smell should have been worn off by you after a few stops. If nothing is leaking by way of pushing the pedal hard while parked at home, (pedal doesn't go to the floor) then it's probably a grease issue. A few issues from doing brakes incorrectly: You can strip the brake line while trying to put it back on, you can hang the caliper (with pads sometimes) by the brake line causing unnecessary stress on the line, or you could put the caliper back on with a wrong twist left or right causing the line to have an unknown kink leading to a leak.

You may have to go elsewhere to get the job verified. If they find something wrong, get it in writing then take it back to the other shop to have them pay/refund, then do business with them no more.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I'd bet money they didn't clean the rotors before installing them. All replacement rotors have a thing coat of oil on them to avoid rust during shipping and storage. This must be cleaned off with brake parts cleaner prior to install. Also, proper bed in is required

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe