Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 535i
My FIrst BMW.....what took me so long?!

Hello All,

I've recently purchased a 1986 535i. It's clearly been well looked after as I don't have any outstanding things to address ASAP. In pointing this out......what things should I focus on to preempt any issues.

Down here in Australia I haven't scene another 535i on the road since buying this one....so what's the go? Is it because the trany's fail, the engine's blow, rear-ends crap out? It's got to be more than just a limited amount of these cars made there way here.

I'm loving this car far more than I thought I would....geese it drives and looks fantastic.....would love to get my hands on either a true M series version or even just the M series motor.

Thanks in advance for your replies and hope all are traveling well.

Matt
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
You have a nice car, so educate yourself by reading this forum's posts and Mye28.com . And get yourself a Bentley's BMW 5-Series E28 service manual, it will be invaluable in helping you repair and maintain your vehicle. Don't worry too much about M-series, when and if you run across one, you will know whether its worth buying. All BMW's have distinct advantages and disadvantages; the longer you own them, the more you will learn to appreciate that.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Glad you are enjoying the E28! There are a number of Aussie owners posting over at http://www.mye28.com/index.php. Be sure to introduce yourself there.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 535i
Thank-You

Thanks for taking the time to pass along your knowledge and information. Hugely appreciated! The more I drive this car the more I'm falling in love with it. It's so tight....suspension, trany, motor, interior....the whole bloody car. The passenger side needs panel work (nothing huge) and I've been able to lock down a TOP panel beater pass along a quote of $1800 but with trading some deals on Push Bikes....he's going to do it for $1000.00. Can you say "I'm one happy man"!

Next on the list is to put it up on a lift, pull all the wheels off and assess what's below. I've already pulled each wheel off and inspected.....brakes are perfect, no leaking in struts or shocks, front-end parts look new, rear end looks great.....the only thing I can see so far is the little dog-bone dealies in front of the rear wheels look good but are sloppy when you wiggle them around....clearly not a major issue as I've been told they play into the handling of the car but aren't detrimental to the overall car.

I'll pick up the manuel as you've suggested.....but as I'm getting my head around how clean this car is.....I'm not wanting to use it as my daily driver. In point this out I'm picking up an old Merc (which will be another project I'll enjoy working on)......I do own a current Land Rover....but after driving this 535i and driving the Merc around the block....it's lost my interest. The Land Rover now feels (even though it's cool in it's own way) boring.....but.....I'll hold onto it as I can see now that I have my "MOJO" back restoring cars I'll need a 4x4 to trailer a car here and there.

Hope you-all are traveling well and I look forward sharing my journey, hearing your points of views and if I can help you in any way.....just let me know and ask. Keep in mind you people from the US.....(I'm American first off), I'm living (and have for the last 10 years) in Melbourne Australia, the cars down here DON'T RUST......I can ship things back to you. I've already run into one BMW nut who says he's shipping a LOT of 3 series stuff back to the US......I'm going full-hog into the BMW community down here....so if your searching for something....let me know...I might be able to help!

Thanks, Matt