Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 650Ci
e64 engine turns off after 30 seconds

Hello,

My BMW e64 was not used for 5 months (whole winter). The battery discharged totally so I bought a new one. After connecting new battery the car started right away but after 30 seconds the engine just turns off.
I connected INPA and checked all error codes, there were many but because of the previous battery discharge. I removed all error codes and again started the engine...unfortunately it turned off after 20-30 seconds again.
I plugged INPA again and there are no error codes for the engine.
The only error codes are for Night Vision

NVE A754
NVE A751

I disconnected the battery for the whole night but the engine turns off anyway.
I checked all modules in INPA one by one.
There were two more errors

DWA 9D12 - fault in internal battery

I think it is ok as the battery probably discharged after the main battery went down.
After removing this error and starting the engine, the error did not appear again after the engine turned off what means it is not the one causing the problem.

The other error was
FAS 12
Hallsensor Kopfstuetze, Kurzschlauss nach Masse

Not sure what it means but it was in the driver seat module.

Do you have any idea how to debug a problem? It looks like the ignition is being turned off after 30 seconds. Looks to me like electronic problem or computer turning off the engine by some reason.
I tried to drive during this 30 seconds but anyway it turns off. Important is that the dashboard does not turn off so the car does not lose power.

I will be thankful for your help
Best
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi, did you register the battery when you changed it???

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM

yes, I did. I am sure it is not the reason...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Have you put the new battery on charge, it may not have a fresh charge on it? The new battery should have a 12 hour charge, to make sure it is good to go!

Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
You may have received a bad battery. I've seen a few cases on here where people ended up with a bad battery even from the dealer and had to replace it.

For starters, like Herb mentioned I would charge the new battery overnight and check the connections to the battery (clean, greased and tight).

If you are still having problems after the charge I would use a voltmeter to see what voltage you are getting before and after the car starts. The voltage should be ~ 12.5V when the car is off, if it's at 12.0V the battery is basically dead. Normal just after starting voltage is ~ 14.7V. If voltage ever drops below 13.5V or is fluctuating while driving then you know there is a battery or alternator problem. There is also a slight chance you have a bad IVM (integrated voltage module) but problems with that are rare and usually cause several issues at once.

For the sear error, it translates to:
Hall sensor headrest, Short circuit to ground
Which probably has something to do with the headrest raising/lowing motor. A Hall sensor is probably used to measure the position of the headrest.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 03-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Thank you. The new battery is 11.8V when engine is off. When it starts it is over 14V. Do you think it could be the reason? The engin starts easily on this new battery, there are no errors etc. Why would the engine stall after 30 seconds?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
giving some thought to this issue of the car stopping after 30 seconds, could it be something to do with fuel delivery??????, especially as you are not getting any error codes !!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Ok guys, I've finally found the reason I called the previous owner and he had some satellite anti theft system. He said that it was deactivated programmatically but the hardware was still there...unfortunately slowly battery discharge broke the system and it was in the authentication mode. Obviously I did not have any remote activator as the system was not working for years...Thanks for your help!